What's new

University of Guelph paper- Flushing is a myth!

Flushing is a waste of time, imnsho.

The idea first started with hydro growers back in the early to mid '90s, was total and complete bullshit then... as it is now.

If you have a basic understanding of botany, you know why the basic concept is fatally flawed.

Back in the 90s "fuel weed" tasted like pharmacologically active carboxylic acids. Today's "gas weed" smells like toxic acrylic, vinyl, butyl, nitrile, benzyl, cyclohexane compounds, because it contains those toxic compounds instead of medical ones. And the difference is nutrition, not genetics.

The entire hydro vs soil argument is because of soluble phosphorus. The entire pointless organic hippy peat moss hype wagon is because of unflushed phos boosted plastic hydro poison.

If you have a basic understanding of high school chemistry, you know why today's self proclaimed weed experts are growing literal trash and telling everyone else it's normal, it's cool, weed should smell like plastic. And you'd know what real growers meant by flushing all along. They meant don't turn your medicine into poison.

It takes 4 seconds to tell someone they are the growing unflushed trash weed. And 4 decades for that person to deny it. Or however long it takes them to die of mysterious lung related illness like happens alot with self proclaimed cannabis experts who claim to be growing medicine.

Flushing is a waste of time, imnsho.

[...]

If you have a basic understanding of botany, you know why the basic concept is fatally flawed.

Flushing will not flush any excess nutrients out of the plant but it will remove already solved nutrients from the soil solution. If that wasn't so why would the EC of your runoff be higher than that of the plain water you pour into the soil when flushing?

If you don't remove those nutrients the plant will probably at least partially take them up because the plant will probably want to go on at a point where you consider it ripe for harvest because the plant wants to keep on going until it has reproduced.

Furthermore there is passive nutrient intake, that is if the concentration of nutrients in the soil solution is high enough you will literally force feed the plant through osmotic pressure.

Cannabis is a hyperaccumulator and therefore it can and will take up considerable amounts excess nutrients and even stuff it does not need at all while looking perfectly healthy. That is the reason why you will even find it along railway tracks, not because it likes them but because these constitute a niche for the very few species that can cope with the chemicals the railbed and the ties are being treated with to prevent them from rotting and overgrowing.

It will store these excess nutrients in unmetabolized form in those parts of the plants where the most growth is taking place which is the flowers especially in late flower.

I can well imagine that those excess nutrients do not translate into taste, that is in a blind taste people would not be able to tell flushed from unflushed weed. But that is the case with many harmful residues, that you can't taste them, for example in food. Just because you can't taste them doesn't mean they're not there.

Plus my anecdotal experience tells me that flushed weed does actually taste smoother but of course it is just anecdotal and might be down to other factors.

Edit:

I can imagine that there's a few growers out there that grow with single nutrients and are capable of feeding the exact amounts of every single nutrient that is needed at a certain point. If that is the case there will be no excess nutrients in the soil and if there is no excess there is no need for flushing.

I bet that 99% percent of us do not fit into that category and probably will want to flush. Especially if youbwoek wirh bottled nutes you will never ever keep the nutrient level of all nutrients at the sweet spot (no deficiency, no excess) because the ratios in which nutrients are demanded by the plant are constantly changing. That is younwill always have to accept some excess or some deficiency. Given the economic pressure under which illegal grows and especially indoor grows are taking place most growers will tend to slightly overfeed rather than underfeed. So again, flushing would be recommended.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

H G Griffin

If you have a basic understanding of high school chemistry, you know why today's self proclaimed weed experts are growing literal trash
So everyone should listen to you, since you are a.......
oh wait, you're just another self-proclaimed expert.
But you're way smarter than everyone else because you have a basic understanding of high school chemistry?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Cannabis is a hyperaccumulator and therefore it can and will take up considerable amounts excess nutrients and even stuff it does not need at all while looking perfectly healthy. That is the reason why you will even find it along railway tracks, not because it likes them but because these constitute a niche for the very few species that can cope with the chemicals the railbed and the ties are being treated with to prevent them from rotting and overgrowing.

It will store these excess nutrients in unmetabolized form in those parts of the plants where the most growth is taking place which is the flowers especially in late flower.
LOVE seeing this... ;)
Always... ALWAYS make your errors on the "too little nutes" end. Every time you overfeed you are permanently killing your end quality. :D

LOVE seeing this... ;)
Always... ALWAYS make your errors on the "too little nutes" end. Every time you overfeed you are permanently killing your end quality. :D
I personally try to underfeed rather than overfeed but I don't give a shit on yield and I feed with bottled nutes, not single nutes. So I will never hit the sweet spot permanently with all nutes and therefore I just assume to have some excess in the soil. I stop feeding ferts at least two weeks before harvest and yes I confess I flush once about a week before harvest.