What's new

Green Mountain Seeds distribution agreement with ACE Seeds

My purple satellite are having issues with hollow stems, I broke two nice branches today :( Mainly my fault and a systems error on how I was training them but it is interesting that it is only the purple satellites and that if you squeeze the stem they are hollow.
Anyone experience anything like that? Any ideas? I am thinking a foiliar of silica but am wondering if this is just a known part of veg. I would not say the stems are weak persay, as they did fine in 30-40mph winds on the hill recently but that the shear strength is very low due to them being hollow.

I did tape the stems up and a bit of wire, hopefully that works! It is what it is and they look great and stem rub smells great!

All insight welcome
Edited to add:
https://academic.oup.com/aob/article-abstract/75/6/587/181058?redirectedFrom=fulltext I wonder if this is a result of just how fast they are growing? Old study and on tomatos but I wonder! Makes me think of humic/fulvic acids etc?!
:)

Last edited:

jroadytoady

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I updated my outdoor grow...

Put the GMG and PS ladies out a bit earlier bit they were getting rootbound.

Here's my Green Mountain Grape (green pheno) in a 15 gallon and a Zacateca Tribute clone in a 7 gallon.

Trying to keep finished height under 6' buuuutttttt... not looking likely hahaha! (Maybe I should have just planted a clone...)

Attachments

• 20240531_100953.jpg
    20240531_100953.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240531_100857.jpg
    20240531_100857.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 24

vermontman

That's great!
Only thing holding me back this season is location.
Last season I tried growing with a partner and that turned out to be more stressful than it was worth.
It worked out but I wouldn't want to do it again
I originally went with all fems of your work because I could and it was just easier for my situation.
But then I got pulled in by the mountain gold part of this thread. 😍
Haven't made seeds in 40 years and I figure I better get on it.
I have a fem Grape planted, a fem P. Satellite to plant today and a pack of MG regs going to pick a male/ female to make seeds.
If Grape turns out to be
the one I'll run it next year in regs.
Hi @moose/MI!
That is terrific I am running several Mountain Golds now. I may make fem seed off them this season, seems like more people are leaning towards fem seed. Last year I did a batch of the fem Grape, they were all consistent and very nice but the reg females just had a touch of something nicer? Just my opinion. I have seen my Mountain gold being copied and offered on another sight cannot mention here but I feel copy is one of the best forms of flattery. Thank you for your pics looking forward to your grow updates!

vermontman

They are doing great and start throwing out their pistils. Really nice uniform growth. Two of them are more christmas tree shape and one is a little bit bushier with stronger side branches.
Hello @h.zimmer!
Looking like your ladies are really starting to stack! I hope you get a great pineapple pheno.
I had one some time ago and even in the burn the smoke had distinct pineapple smell that filled the room. Thank you for your contribution here looking forward to your follow up. Bellow was my last Pineapple banana bud I grew.

HA X MULANJE PINEAPPLE BANANA BUD.JPG

Last edited:

vermontman

My purple satellite are having issues with hollow stems, I broke two nice branches today :( Mainly my fault and a systems error on how I was training them but it is interesting that it is only the purple satellites and that if you squeeze the stem they are hollow.
Anyone experience anything like that? Any ideas? I am thinking a foiliar of silica but am wondering if this is just a known part of veg. I would not say the stems are weak persay, as they did fine in 30-40mph winds on the hill recently but that the shear strength is very low due to them being hollow.

I did tape the stems up and a bit of wire, hopefully that works! It is what it is and they look great and stem rub smells great!

All insight welcome
Edited to add:
https://academic.oup.com/aob/article-abstract/75/6/587/181058?redirectedFrom=fulltext I wonder if this is a result of just how fast they are growing? Old study and on tomatos but I wonder! Makes me think of humic/fulvic acids etc?!
:)
I don't think they would do any different with any other amendments young plant often have hollow stems especially if the get a fast growth spurt with extra water, and yes many times plants can be repaired with a bit of wiring a plant stake to hold them up. i have used zip ties securing plants to a plant stake when I have tried to control height by bending the tops were the heal will be stronger than the average stem.
GOOD LUCK!
And as always please keep us posted!

vermontman

Hey everyone, it's been awhile since I updated my outdoor grow...

Put the GMG and PS ladies out a bit earlier bit they were getting rootbound.

Here's my Green Mountain Grape (green pheno) in a 15 gallon and a Zacateca Tribute clone in a 7 gallon.

Trying to keep finished height under 6' buuuutttttt... not looking likely hahaha! (Maybe I should have just planted a clone...)
Awesome @jroadytoady!
Looks like your Green Mountain Grape could end up being a one pounder! As well as your sprightly Zacatecas! I tried to do fem seed on Zacatecas last year but all the pollen sacs came up empty, so it's obvious they are a bit more reluctant to that process. Thank you for sharing!

jroadytoady

Awesome @jroadytoady!
Looks like your Green Mountain Grape could end up being a one pounder! As well as your sprightly Zacatecas! I tried to do fem seed on Zacatecas last year but all the pollen sacs came up empty, so it's obvious they are a bit more reluctant to that process. Thank you for sharing!

Crossing fingers - here is my purple satellite started same time as GMG... grew her to 36" then tied down to 12"

Not the biggest fan of fem's although they do have their place.

Attachments

• 20240531_153232.jpg
    20240531_153232.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 41
I don't think they would do any different with any other amendments young plant often have hollow stems especially if the get a fast growth spurt with extra water, and yes many times plants can be repaired with a bit of wiring a plant stake to hold them up. i have used zip ties securing plants to a plant stake when I have tried to control height by bending the tops were the heal will be stronger than the average stem.
GOOD LUCK!
And as always please keep us posted!
Yup that kinda matches up with what I am reading and seeing! We had a bit of rain and then some sunny days, growth spurts! Such a problem to have :p

RobFromTX

Hey Rob, I didn't hear anything about her shortcomings. What do mean by that?
Could you also elaborate a bit on what you liked about her?
CheersO
Morning buddy. What i meant is a lot of folks had hermie issues and i had none at all. A very pleasant smoke and the smell was fantastic, reminded me of banana bread. If you plan on running her youre in for a treat

moose/MI

Went through my MG regulars.
Looks like I have 3 green phenos and 8 purple ones.
One of the Green phenos is the earliest male showing.

Attachments

• 20240601_131606.jpg
    20240601_131606.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12