What's new

TOTALLY RANDOM POST II

moose eater

Borrowed, as are many, from what is actually Lakota Creations.

Nice folks.

1715632806064.png

buzzmobile

Veteran
We nearly went to Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada area to pick up an adult male Belgian Malinois this last winter.

Then I decided I'm too old and less active for this kind of responsibility.

But man, they are an amazing breed if you're energetic, self-disciplined, and want a super-dog that can do things seldom considered. Like, gravity and fear don't register.

My niece is a dog trainer and she had two Malinois that were schutzhund trained and they were incredible at what they did. A prehensile tail would make wire walking easier for that dog.

1715681916378.jpeg

1715681949728.jpeg

1715682031731.jpeg

moose eater

My niece is a dog trainer and she had two Malinois that were schutzhund trained and they were incredible at what they did. A prehensile tail would make wire walking easier for that dog.

View attachment 19002424
View attachment 19002425

View attachment 19002426

We watched Mickey Dolenz on television many mornings as youngsters. Fun times in between it all.

Our youngest GSD, the almost-7-1/2-mos.-old puppy, has a distinctive curl to the tip of her tail, along with a cowlick at the very tip, which I've interpreted as a warning re. levels of potential mischief. Perhaps that curled tail tip is as much a matter of evolution as it is a birth defect.

I eventually (in short order, relatively speaking) concluded that owning a Belgian malinois incorporated liability risks that were as great as the required self-discipline on my part required to give the intense little bugger what he really needed.

So I left the pup for a more responsible, more intense, much younger owner.

Last edited:

buzzmobile

Veteran
So I left the pup for a more responsible, more intense, much younger owner.
A very smart move, Old One.
1715696288264.jpeg

My niece visited us one weekend and I had an errand to run. When I returned I walked in the back door to discover her Malinois at attention. UH OH! She was showering and I was intruding in the eyes of her dog. I had heard a command or two so I started in with "Nein NEIN!" to no effect. Aw shit!! Then it came to me "PLATZ!" She went down and I went out the back door to wait outside until the shower was over.

Scary dogs.

moose eater

A very smart move, Old One.
View attachment 19002540

My niece visited us one weekend and I had an errand to run. When I returned I walked in the back door to discover her Malinois at attention. UH OH! She was showering and I was intruding in the eyes of her dog. I had heard a command or two so I started in with "Nein NEIN!" to no effect. Aw shit!! Then it came to me "PLATZ!" She went down and I went out the back door to wait outside until the shower was over.

Scary dogs.
They can be utterly amazing, but they can also be as intense as a paranoid meth head who's been up for a week, and is holding a loaded firearm.

The fellow north of Whitehorse whose malinois I was going to drive and procure, having already clarified Border requirements for such a venture, sent me several videos of his dogs, including the very well trained father of the adult male I was considering and nearly brought home.

The father of the dog I was leaning toward adopting performed some of the numerous climbing, jumping and hanging by its teeth exercises that are in the video I posted, albeit with structures in BC and wild trees on his property in the Yukon Territory, at one point jumping well over 8 feet into the air and hanging onto a branch by his teeth until the owner told him it was OK to release.

And the fact that the dog I was considering bringing home was already bonded to his 'pack' and his owner gave me pause, as well. And we already had an adult (spayed) female GSD here, so we went with the petite female puppy GSD instead. As intense as GSD's can be, my initial assumption that Belgian malinois are "just another type of German shepherd" was relatively naive.

The new puppy, about 2 months ago, +/-. WAY better than any anti-depressants. She's been known to cause wall-to-wall smiles.

IMG_0959.jpg

Last edited:

CharlesU Farley

They can be utterly amazing, but they can also be as intense as a paranoid meth head who's been up for a week, and is holding a loaded firearm.

The fellow north of Whitehorse whose malinois I was going to drive and procure, having already clarified Border requirements for such a venture, sent me several videos of his dogs, including the very well trained father of the adult male I was considering and nearly brought home.

The father of the dog I was leaning toward adopting performed some of the numerous climbing, jumping and hanging by its teeth exercises that are in the video I posted, albeit with structures in BC and wild trees on his property in the Yukon Territory, at one point jumping well over 8 feet into the air and hanging onto a branch by his teeth until the owner told him it was OK to release.

And the fact that the dog I was considering bringing home was already bonded to his 'pack' and his owner gave me pause, as well. And we already had an adult (spayed) female GSD here, so we went with the petite female puppy GSD instead. As intense as GSD's can be, my initial assumption that Belgian malinois are "just another type of German shepherd" was relatively naive.

The new puppy, about 2 months ago, +/-. WAY better than any anti-depressants. She's been known to cause wall-to-wall smiles.

View attachment 19002649
Now that is one beautiful girl there!! With a face like that looking at ya, no way you can be depressed. ;)

moose eater

Thanks.

She's a bundle of energy most of the day (I haven't had to get out of bed between 5:00 and 6:00 AM so often since I milked goats on the farm) and is way open to both giving and receiving affection; she thrives on it, which isn't always the case with GSDs.

Smart as a whip, too.

She's a fair bit undersized though she makes up for it with spirit, and her shoulders and hips have INCREDIBLE muscle mass already. Really good ears and nose on her, and surprisingly good eyesight.

The breeder changed terms mid-stream, which I saw as nothing shy of cheese-dick behavior, but once we'd decided on her, we stuck with it.

And she keeps the older GSD female on her toes, too.

buzzmobile

Veteran

View attachment 19002649
She's a beauty, @moose eater .

Arachnid Smuggler

Latest posts

Latest posts