What's new

A strange story of a Metal Halide.............

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Hi there every1,
right..apart from my powerplant 1000wattHPS in the flower room, I use Low Bay security lights simply because u can get halides and sodium, for about 12 - 1/4 of the price in a growshop, and all u have to do is remote the ballast, which you dont really have to do.
anyway, I have used these and remoted a couple last year for my useage, but, ended up selling them to some1 who wanted me to do a set up for them, a firm profit... :biglaugh: not much really, but anyway, I have been meaning to remote the 2 i have now myself for ages...
until wednesday night, i thought the 2 low Bay HID's I have were..
1 X HPS 400Watts and 1 X Metal Halide 250Watts.
these low bays come with the lamp/bulb whatever u choose to call it, already screwed into the fixture, so i never had a real look.
at the moment I have the HPS400 in the veg room, the halide was in a cupboard out of the way while i wasnt using it...and i wanted to get the work on them done, so my plan was take the Halide, do that one, then take it back and use that in veg temporarily while I do the work on the HPS! Simple.
With my plan all sussed out, I went to the cupboard for the Halide, got some tissue and unscrewed the bulb(using the tissue) and got some bubble wrap to keep it safe til I got home. It was while wrapping it up that i noticed something funny...
instead of saying 250 or 250w as one might expect from a 250watt light it says 400W/4K. i was surprised but thought "Naaaaah - cant be, must be tech jargon!" and got the whole thing home....but it bothered me, so I opened the casing and had a look, and sure enough, on the ballast it says 400... well, it says a lot of stuff, but itsays for high pressure mercury or Metal halide 400.
so, i figure I was lucky or something....the Box deffo said 250 on it.... i remember thinking it was bright, but i thought as it was halide andi was used to seeing HPS, it was just the clour difference.
anyway, thats it.... I think i payed for a 250 and got a 400, and took 6 months to find out :biglaugh: .
i took a couple of pics so u can see and hopefully tell me one way or the other!

the Light, although thats no help.....

the bulb...... crap pic but its hard as OHenry said somewhere with the reflected light!

and the ballast finally.
I think it is, i mean Im pretty sure if it says 400 it aint gonna be a 250 is it, lol i just wanted to put it up here and sort of validate it for myself lol.
My lucky day...

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
angry scientist said:
well this is a positive story... no?

Positive...lol, im bloody ecstatic about it matey, lol if ulook at the oics in my gallery I called it the "bonus light", hahahaa
Im still dumbfounded at it though hehehe

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I bet most folks who got Mel thomas's book have too, lol, although I only got my book like 2 months ago, ......I was amazed when i saw the price of these in the trade leccy shop...especially when comparing them with the prices in Esoterics catalogue, lol. Of course I know they dont have the best bulbs, but thats soon sorted....../Im just looking around for some good enclosures which I could use for the ballasts???

Latest posts

Latest posts