What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new:Marijuana Decriminalization Bill in Congress

G

Press Advisory: Marijuana Decriminalization Bill in Congress

Monday, July 28, 2008

WHAT:
Congressman Barney Frank (D-MA) and other Congressional cosponsors will convene a press conference to announce the introduction of legislation to remove federal penalties for personal marijuana use, and take questions from the media.

HR 5843, entitled An Act To Remove Federal Penalties for the Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults, would eliminate federal penalties for possession of up to 100 grams of marijuana, and for the not-for-profit transfer of up to one ounce of marijuana.

This proposal reflects the basic recommendations of the National Commission on Marijuana and Drug Abuse (aka the Shafer Commission) in their groundbreaking report to Congress in 1972 entitled Marihuana: A Signal of Misunderstanding.

This is the first federal marijuana decriminalization bill to be introduced in Congress since 1978, and reflects the changing public attitudes that no longer support treating responsible marijuana smokers like criminals. According to a nationwide Time/CNN poll, three out of four Americans now favor a fine only, no jail, for adults who possess or use small amounts of marijuana.

Representatives from the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana LAWS (NORML), the Drug Policy Alliance (DPA) and the Marijuana Policy Project (MPP) will also participate in this press conference.

WHEN:
Wednesday, July 30, 2008 at 10:00am.

WHERE:
Room 2220 Rayburn House Office Building

FOR MORE INFORMATION CALL 202-483-5500:
Ask for NORML Legal Counsel Keith Stroup; keith@norml.org

S

ScrogHog

I hope something happens but you cant really think its gonna happen. I am very happy my state is going to be voting on decrim though. I feel it has a strong chance of passing.

G

Smoke68 said:
IF only I where able to on that day!
Does this bill include cultivation or just possession?
Don't know. I guess we find out tomorrow.

Things are heating up.

Sounds like just for possession right now . It needs to be for cultivation as well so that way the profit factor can be completely stripped away from organised crime . If only possession becomes decriminalized , then who's going to grow it for us to buy ? What's the difference between a having a weeks supply and a years supply .

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
This isn't something we vote on. Things like this are why you NEED to contact your Senators and Representatives. They vote on it. If it passes the house and senate, the president signs it, and it's law. If he vetoes it, it has to get something like 66% vote in the house/senate, or both, not sure exactly, to override the veto. Sounds great, but I don't see it going far. Get these things going on in your state govt., that's where the change will really start.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-5843
http://www.house.gov/frank/hr5843summary.html

Co-sponsored by Ron Paul.:joint:

It would still be illegal under State Law, except where it's not... lol

When was the last time feds busted someone for under 100g possession or transferring under an oz? :confused:

eyes

Veteran
the president,what a joke.be glad when that a@@ hat is gone.messed this country up for sure.not that it wasnt screwed up b4,but he messed it up even more.guy cant even put 2 words together without stumbling over his own tounge.Hes our leader?when are people going to wise up and kick all these politicians out of office and take back the country?

G

dough!! not a new bill

dough!! not a new bill

HR-5843 has been in committee for a short while now.

Bill is co-sponsored by Ron Paul.