What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sealing a Double Door Cabinet - How to?

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dewd,
I can give you a couple of ideas and show you what works for me.
You will need the roll of stuff you have now, and you will also need to get a roll of felt weatherstripping and a staple gun.

The felt stripping I use is 1-1/4" x 1/8"

This is where my two doors meet. I have a divider in the middle, and you may want to consider adding an upright post (1x1 or whatever) for your doors to meet.

42896Photo_072408_001felt.JPG

For the sides, you want a strip that is long as the total top to bottom of the inside of the cab. This strip will overlap past the door, and when you close the door it will meet up with the side of the cab and fold nicely.
42896doorfelt1.jpg

When you do the first piece like this, and see how it reacts and works, you will probably see what the next moves are...

For the middle add another piece just like the first one, only on one door only. This will be the first door you must close from then on. The other door will come to the first doors felt and will probably seal up, but this is where the upright middle post can help.

Now add felt strips to the tops and bottoms. They should just fit past the door enough to fill the gaps you have.

Now, with all the felt stapled on, you can work one side at a time with the door closed and run your adhesive stripping to where it just comes up to meet the felt all the way around. (maybe even push it into the felt a wee bit)

It's tedious, but it will work well.
Holler if I am not being clear.

Good luck!

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm no genius, Dewd. I am just an older guy that has done lots of designing in my day.
And the reason I go out of my way to help folks here is because I have gained a wealth of knowledge from the site and I think it only fitting that I contribute back in some fashion.

You can find the felt weatherstrip at the same place you get other weatherstrip at HomeDePot, Lowes, etc...
All you are doing is giving the doors a good sturdy place to close to.
I use lock hasps to keep my doors securely shut.

42896cpost-thumb.jpg

You can always put the wood in there without fastening it, then shut the doors the way you want them (after you are all felted up) and let them push the wood where it actually needs to be. Then open it up, mark it, and either screw or glue it in permanent.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
42896felt2.jpg

The strips used here for the sides are going to see lots of flexing. Be sure to staple it on real good. You may even want to use small nails, and you may even want to use glue before you staple or nail it.

Last edited:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
LOL...you know, I phucked around with my cab for a long time trying to make it light leak free. Once I finally got it squared away, I was one proud mofo when I checked it out in the dark garage and there was zero light to be seen. Not so much worried about it being seen as much as how the girls inside would be protected from that evil hermie light.

You'll be fine and I have every confidence you will have yourself a killer cab.
Advice on how to handle the old lady is gonna have to be some other cat...I have trouble keeping mine from killing me most all the time.

F

fully baked

Here's how I just did mine...

I used the foam weatherstripping. Somewhat squishy, not the extra dense kind. It has a sticky back which made it a breeze to get onto my cab.

Looks something like this...

I covered the stationary side of the cab with the weatherstripping in both areas. I over did it a little and even covered the other areas just because I had extra and it makes for an airtight seal as well. I also added it to one side of the door (on the small edge where the doors touch.) The last bit was added to the inside of the doors on the bottom middle. There was a little bit of light leaking out still and it fixed that up.

I use clasps and bungee cords at the top and bottom to seal it up. The clasps allow for it to be locked as well. The bungee cords pull the doors in tight so the weatherstripping can do what it needs to

A shot with the doors shut and the lights on and everything locked up.

A shot without the bungee cords on. Only the clasps are on here and there is a little bit of light leaking out the bottom...

The clasp and the bungee cord at the top (same idea at the bottom too)

Here's a shot in paint of where exactly I put the weather stripping. The red is the stripping I used.

Hope this can help,
FB

J

Jeff Lebowski

Has anyone ever used their passive intake as a dry box for no more than an ounce of plant matter? I was thinking of setting up a very small cardboard box inside my flower box over the intake as to dry plants, yet have them filtered. I would love to buy another box and make that only for drying but I can't, yet. :) Would this work, not enough cfms...Idk. Thats why I am here, its a 79cfm fan pulling through a scrubber. Thanks for looking.