What's new

Hempy Buckets with Coco: They rock!

MoleMcHenry

Hey coco enthusiasts, I've been wanting to write this post for a while but was waiting to get my camera back from a friend who borrowed it. I finally got it back, and am here to report that hempy buckets with coco ROCK. They are seriously awesome. My grow thread with hempy buckets is here.

For those who don't know, a hempy bucket is passive hydro. It is usually a bucket with a hole drilled in the side of a container about 2 inches up from the bottom. You hand water the plant with nutes and the bottom forms a reservoir--the hole makes the top of the reservoir. Since the water is used up quickly, there is no algae or root rot, and there are no temp/root rot issues at all. People usually use a perlite/vermiculite mix, or sometimes 100% perlite. However, I can report that coco works extremely well, too!

Here's some pics of my plants in hempy buckets with coco.

This is a Satori in a 3-liter plastic soda bottle. I just put her into 12/12 on 7/5/08.

I fill the bottom of my hempy buckets with straight perlite, then cover that with either straight coco or a mix of coco and perlite.

Same Satori top view. She's pretty bushy huh?

Here's another Satori I'm vegging in a 2-liter soda bottle.

Same Satori, top view.

Here's the 2-liter next to the 3-liter, to give you some perspective.

The roots on the 3-liter are healthy and white.

Same for the roots on the 2-liter.

Here's 2 more Satori's I started in solo cups in pure coco then bogged over 1-gallon water jugs. One of them is pure coco over perlite in the res and the other one is a mix of perlite and coco over pure perlite in the res. The all-coco hempy has more roots than the mix, but it was bogged a couple days before the other one, so it's not a true judge of the mediums yet.

The benefits of hempy buckets are obvious: they're low maintenance, produce rapid growth, they're easy to care for, have no parts to break, and cheap as hell. My buckets can go 2-3 days between waterings easily, and I suspect that pure coco may even be able to go 4 days.

I you have any questions about this awesome way of growing, I'm happy to answer them.

Last edited:
G

Guest 18340

I was wondering when someoene was gonna try the H'buckets with coco. Looks fantastic so far. Please do keep us up to date on your progress
I have some Satori beans that are gonna meet coco this fall and i cant wait!!!
Evl.

MoleMcHenry

Hey evilme2, I've heard about others doing hempy bucket grows with coco, but I've never seen anyone's hempy grow with coco documented. This will be fun for me, too!

Cali smoke

The only thing with Hempy buckets I found difficult was flushing thoroughly, how are you flushing using this setup?

-cs- :rasta:

Last edited:

MoleMcHenry

Hey Cali,

Flushing is really easy, since the bucket has a hole in the bottom and any excess water flows out through that. I just flushed the other day when I added the un-PH'd solution in a stoner moment then realized my mistake. My tap water is 7.5 or so, so I wanted to fix it right away.

All I did was mix up the proper PH solution and pour it into the top of my hempy bucket. After pouring, I stood over my bathtub and dribbled the old solution out by holding it at an angle over the tub. I poured about half a gallon through it and tested the water I poured out the second time: it was 5.5, so I was pleased. Two minutes and the plant was properly flushed.

I see you are growing with CMH bulbs like me. Those things rock too!

Last edited:

Cali smoke

I like your container use, lots of space and at-a-glance water level check up. this looks like a good method, I wonder what hempy would think. :D

Can't wait to see your results! They should fatten up real nice with the reservoir of nutes and cmh <- they do rock indeed.

-cs- :rasta:

Last edited:
G

Oh man, no one here even mentions H'buckets!! And over where they do, the kids get into pissing matches over the silliest stuff. Threads have gotten shut down over what to call these things, or whether the bato bucket is the same. ha.

I love these things. This works phenominaly for mothers and tree seedlings. You should try some perlite/turface mixes too somelike 3p:1t does good too.

as far as flushing goes, get light defuser from the lighting section at the Orange. Cut it to apropreate size and put it on some buckets in the tub. This way you can do a few at a time. Water, go do stuff around the house, water again, go do stuff again untill done flushing. This way you can fill ALL THE WAY TO THE RIM and just walk away.

MoleMcHenry

CaliSmoke - I'm thinkin these satori are gonna love being in hydro while they flower. Satori grows fat buds in soil, so they'll explode in hydro!

dasme - Yeah, I read all that stuff and it cracked me up! Some people...

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
i'm not sure i understood this method very well:

How much it differs from the traditional setup, eg: The pot filled with coco, 2 inch of perlite on the bottom, and a tray to collect runoff water where i usually leave a pair of inch with water?

I'm using hempy buckets with 100% perlite. With no vermiculite in there I'm feeding every day, afaik the flushing takes place by having enough run off when feeding.

I've been alternating between hempy buckets and 11 litre square pots, haven't seen a noticable difference in growth yet. The square pots are easier to fit in the garden trays than the household buckets but the hempy bucket roots aren't sitting in the run off. (I mop it up once or twice a week.)

I have tried hempy buckets with the perlite verm combo with two plants. I can see the advantage with this set up. I however didnt like the perlite and verm dust and will try it with coco. I want t o try coco in grow bags but will try the hempy with it. Cant wait to see your results!

MoleMcHenry

Hey friends, thanks for stopping by.

gramsci.antonio - A hempy bucket differs from a pot of coco sitting over a bed of perlite because a hempy bucket is a self-contained unit with a built- in reservoir. Both are essentially passive hydro, though.

Pharma Geddon - Glad to see another hempy grower! There aren't too many of us here on ICmag. Represent! Do I understand you right that you use 100% perlite in those 11 liter pots? If so, that's really cool! I've never seen a 100% hand watered perlite grow before!

QuietStorm - I don't like the white dust that comes off the perlite either. I like your idea of doing a side by side comparison. As growers, we gotta figure out what works for us within our individual grow environments.

Mole

barletta

Bandaid
Veteran
Hey mole, your plants look great! I am about to start a 1 gallon side by side by side. Coco (normal pot) vs. Hempy bucket (3:1 per:vermic) vs Coco mix in my sig. I'll start a thread when I do.

MoleMcHenry

Hey Punk Hazard, thanks for stoppin by. Yes, I started from clone. I don't add nutes according to the PPM which I measure with an electronic tester.

For young clones, I feed around 600 ppm
For older clones, I feed around 900 ppm
For flowering plants, I feed 900-1100 ppm or so

Mole

MoleMcHenry

Wanted to post a quick update for the hempy girls in water jugs.

Here's the 2 girls on 7/6.

Here they are tonight, 7/9.

Mole

Last edited:
Has anyone else got real lazy and stopped measuring pH with hempy buckets?

I have the ro water flowing into a bucket with float valve that sits on a table. A bit of trial and error gave me the micro and bloom doses for the correct EC and 4ml of pH up has the pH at 6.1. Once mixed I pour it into another bucket on the floor and the next day the ro bucket is full again.

When the pH didn't read 6.1, I re-calibrated the meter and yup, it's 6.1,

So I stopped checking it, if ever they stop looking healthy I'll check but until then... life just got easier.