What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

UVB bulbs...

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
i am interested in utilizing UVB in my grow. what i am wondering is a few things. first, how much should be used to supplement my other lighting?

i went to the pet store and saw 5% UVB and 10% UVB T5 bulbs. is either better for our application? there was also different power ratings on the bulbs so that will also affect things. 12 watt and 20 watt i believe.

anyways, enough of my banter... what it comes down to is this: how much UVB is good and how much is better? is there a point of diminished return?

thanks guys!

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
i know i saw 30" and possibly a 24"... it was weird. they had fixtures and they had bulbs. none of he bulb sizes matched the length of the fixtures. it DEFINITELY said T5 tho.

guineapig

Veteran
I have lots of information from an undisclosed location (thanks to oldtimer)....

There are proper Fluorescent UVB(and UVA) tubes available and they're much more expensive than the UVA and the standard ones(4times or more the cost). Never run them on Energy-saver or Econo running gear as that produces less lumen output with any fluro. But be very careful when using the UVB tubes. If not for the slightly glowing tube when they are on, you could hardly tell they were on in the room - they transmit entirely in the invisible wavebands, whereas UVA tubes, MH and HPS transmit low amounts of only in the UVA waveband, which is slightly visible(voilet) and nowhere near as penetrating/powerful as UVB. But expose any skin to them(UVB 40W tubes) from less than 6feet away, and it burns in minutes. Like proper sunburn and worse if closer - can easily promote skinCancer(as does the sun). Can give you cateract in no time at all, even with sunglasses, from even 10feet away and more. IF you intend on using them, make sure that you never walk into the growroom when they are on. Have a swtch for them outside the room, or just inside the door. If just inside the door, turn them on and off immediatly you close or open the door. One 40Wer can cover an area 5foot down, 5foot by 5foot across. So with every 600 or 1000Watter, you have 1 40W UVB Fluro with it, AND '120W Clear Incandescent bulb as well for 1 hour either side of lights on and off - simulating the red ambient light of the outdoors ever dusk and dawn of every day anywhere in the world'. This Incandescent wavelength is as critical as any other. The lightband is required as it aids in the 'benefical' toxification and detoxification the plant needs to complete the activation process fully. Couple all that up and timed correctly indoors with either MH or HPS, and pollenate the mum/s, and you'll be well on your way to producing the most potent buds you can indoors. More potent than any indoors buds grown without all these factors - no matter how sticky and smelly they are. They won't be as potent as the ones you grow using this ENTIRE method.

Taken from "Marijuana Optics:"

(8) It appears that the resin sphere acts as an UVB receptor and magnifying lens. The latter apparently lets it gather in a lot more photons than would otherwise be possible; because a lens also acts as a prism, the resin sphere may prevent some wavelengths from being focused where the phytochemical processes are taking place because they could interfere with the efficiency of the phytochemical process that makes THC.

The link to "MJ Optics": http://marijuanaoptics.fileave.com/

There is so much interesting information on this subject.......i would be happy to discuss any aspect of the relation of UV-B light to cannabis physiology.....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
guineapig said:
I have lots of information from an undisclosed location (thanks to oldtimer)....

There are proper Fluorescent UVB(and UVA) tubes available and they're much more expensive than the UVA and the standard ones(4times or more the cost). Never run them on Energy-saver or Econo running gear as that produces less lumen output with any fluro. But be very careful when using the UVB tubes. If not for the slightly glowing tube when they are on, you could hardly tell they were on in the room - they transmit entirely in the invisible wavebands, whereas UVA tubes, MH and HPS transmit low amounts of only in the UVA waveband, which is slightly visible(voilet) and nowhere near as penetrating/powerful as UVB. But expose any skin to them(UVB 40W tubes) from less than 6feet away, and it burns in minutes. Like proper sunburn and worse if closer - can easily promote skinCancer(as does the sun). Can give you cateract in no time at all, even with sunglasses, from even 10feet away and more. IF you intend on using them, make sure that you never walk into the growroom when they are on. Have a swtch for them outside the room, or just inside the door. If just inside the door, turn them on and off immediatly you close or open the door. One 40Wer can cover an area 5foot down, 5foot by 5foot across. So with every 600 or 1000Watter, you have 1 40W UVB Fluro with it, AND '120W Clear Incandescent bulb as well for 1 hour either side of lights on and off - simulating the red ambient light of the outdoors ever dusk and dawn of every day anywhere in the world'. This Incandescent wavelength is as critical as any other. The lightband is required as it aids in the 'benefical' toxification and detoxification the plant needs to complete the activation process fully. Couple all that up and timed correctly indoors with either MH or HPS, and pollenate the mum/s, and you'll be well on your way to producing the most potent buds you can indoors. More potent than any indoors buds grown without all these factors - no matter how sticky and smelly they are. They won't be as potent as the ones you grow using this ENTIRE method.

(8) It appears that the resin sphere acts as an UVB receptor and magnifying lens. The latter apparently lets it gather in a lot more photons than would otherwise be possible; because a lens also acts as a prism, the resin sphere may prevent some wavelengths from being focused where the phytochemical processes are taking place because they could interfere with the efficiency of the phytochemical process that makes THC.

There is so much interesting information on this subject.......i would be happy to discuss any aspect of the relation of UV-B light to cannabis physiology.....

Copied and saved. Thank you Guineapig.

Namaste, mess

dontstepongrass

M.U.R.D.A. / FMB crew
Veteran
digi- how do you implement the uvb, is it on the entire time the rest of lights are on (minus times when ur in cab, as per guineapig) or is it a different time pattern within the daylight hours?

guineapig- i saw a fixture at the pet store that was 2 bulb, 1 was the uvb bulb the other was a full-spectrum bulb. would possibly be the equivalent of the incandescent bulb? or does it HAVE to be an incandescent? i'd like to keep everything fluoro because of the lower heat.

lilo

i have run a bunch of 10%uvb reptisun bulbs - wasted time and money. i wish i'd spent them on new hps rigs

flavoraid

guineapig said:

any suggestions on a 40w uvb bulb and ballast? are you saying that the incandecent bulb can be used say in the first or last hour of the on cycle of flowering? (ex. 1 of 12 of a 12/12 cycle or 11 to 12 of a 12/12 cycle.)

not that it matters now but do any other bulbs suffice for the incandecent light because they won't be making them in a year from now (at least in Canada they won't)

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
flavoraid said:
not that it matters now but do any other bulbs suffice for the incandecent light because they won't be making them in a year from now (at least in Canada they won't)

I suppose that a small panel, or two, of Pfr equivalent LED's (6"X6" or 12"X12"?) would serve the same purpose.

Last edited:

lilo

DIGITALHIPPY said:
WHAT?!?!????
might not have used them right.....
you mean didn't pray good enough?
your one bulb uvb there won't do nothing, whatever you believe.
btw, the whole saying thc is found only in trychomes is bullshit. it is in leaves and even in stems, much less of course.

may be it did something, i dunno, i can't measure thc content but the price of bulbs and runing them is not worth it in my opinion and additional hid will be much more of an improvement.

Last edited:

l33t

Veteran
lilo said:
btw, the whole saying thc is found only in trychomes is bullshit. it is in leaves and even in stems, much less of course.

I always had the same belief lilo..but I am not sure if its true at all.

you got any 'scientific' proof for that ?

I mean if its true there must be right? ..it wouldn't take much to test it with the right equipment.. What would be the prob though is how do you make sure you have removed all the trichomes from the leaf material? There are many 'very short' /'young-just emerging' trichomes (almost stem-less trichomes) at the surface of the leaf and these would be very hard/impossible to remove completely.Now with stems I think it would be easier to so it and perform a test .

Last edited:

lilo

I personaly don't need a scientific proof for that because I know leaves and stems even from a plant in vegetatie period have cannabinoids and there are NO trichomes. Some people in northern countries where you can't make it into budding outdoors do just that - grow lots of foliage to use later in solvents. You can imagine it is far from connoisseur grade smoke but gets you high just like buds would.

You could test it: harvest a plant, scrape trichomes off some leaves (come on, you can't miss glands scraping with a razor), dry those leaves and smoke. Hard to smoke but I promiss you get high just as if you'd smoked those buds. Better yet, try vapourizing. Do the same from a plant in veg, the older it is the better, best before switch to flower.

Last edited:

l33t

Veteran
lilo said:
I personaly don't need a scientific proof for that because I know leaves and stems even from a plant in vegetatie period have cannabinoids and there are NO trichomes. Some people in northern countries where you can't make it into budding outdoors do just that - grow lots of foliage to use later in solvents. You can imagine it is far from connoisseur grade smoke but gets you high just like buds would.

You could test it: harvest a plant, scrape trichomes off some leaves (come on, you can't miss glands scraping with a razor), dry those leaves and smoke. Hard to smoke but I promiss you get high just as if you'd smoked those buds. Better yet, try vapourizing. Do the same from a plant in veg, the older it is the better, best before switch to flower.

I and the rest do need scientific proof man..

You are so WRONG...Plants in VEG DO HAVE trichomes...

You should go get a microscope..

I ve seen glandular trichs even in 1-2 week seedlings under microscope...so your answer is not enough to back up your claims .

Like I said its very very difficult to remove all of the trichomes without missing any of them. There are some that don't even have a 'stalk' they are like spheres glued to the leaf surface and it would be impossible to scrape them all off without scraping off the top layers of the leaf tissue..

Last edited:

lilo

Dude, I say leaves get you high even when a plant is in vegetative state. No trichomes visible under a loupe. You say there are trichomes but I just can't see them? I think it's you who should back up his statement. You seem to have a microscope I'd like to see those seedling trichomes. Peace out

Last edited:

l33t

Veteran
...hhhhh....

...Why would I lie ?????

I don't have the pics handy but I DO have these pics in my backup cds (I ll ook them up) .

Like I said these trichs are VERY small .. You NEED a MICROSCOPE ..NOT a cheap Loupe..to see them. These trichomes/spheres' are around 5-15microns in diameter maybe even smaller.

A cheap microscope costs like 20-50usd.. GO GET one and SEE them for yourself. Its not like you need special equipment or something..
Plus if you don't believe ME there are many serious/respected growers AND breeders that will tell you that many vegging plants HAVE trichomes like I told you . ASK AROUND!

NONE of these people will tell you what you say ..that plants in veg never have trichomes..

Like they say..

extraordinary claims ..need extraordinary proof.

This means that when you claim something that is not accepted by science and most respected people in the field then its up to YOU to prove them wrong..Not the other way around I am afraid...

So can you please backup YOUR claims ??? I don't think so.....Please...Prove me and everyone else wrong.

Last edited:

flavoraid

that one hour incandescent light period is that to mimic sunrise and sunset? would it be best to have it in the first and last hour of the day cycle?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
lilo said:
you mean didn't pray good enough?
your one bulb uvb there won't do nothing, whatever you believe.

may be it did something, i dunno, i can't measure thc content but the price of bulbs and runing them is not worth it in my opinion and additional hid will be much more of an improvement.
well my appologies my friend, because i can tell a little differance...
my recent nugs kept me high FOR HOURS... i always get that sick-ass coutchlock...alot of times i need MJ to put me to sleep, otherwise ill be up and ticking till 4 or 5 am.... i just cannot get the same coutchlock anywhere...
no 75$ 'dispensary' weed gets me THIS high... i love that rumble behind your eyes when they start to water on there own...

my UVB BULB was 35$(?) or so, lets say $40. the T8 was 10 or 20$ at Homedepot, i used an old PC cord to make a plug and a $10 timer completes the deal.so thats $70 AT THE MOST. i cant even get a HPS Hortilux bulb for $70...so the cost isnt a big factor..

your allowed to BELIEVE what you want. but i BELIEVE the UVB helps alot. already have 2800$ in hoods, ballasts, fans, bulbs, whats another $70?

Latest posts

Latest posts