What's new

Bottled Water Trustworthy?

HerbGlaze

Eugene Oregon
Veteran
Is Bottled Water... like Arrowhead water safe for plants I havent checked my pH but want an opinion.
Thank you.
*COUGH* STITCH! :D

guineapig

Veteran
I would stay away from gallons of water that are marked "Distilled Water".....the pH is way too alkaline in all of these brands......i find that the pH is closer to normal on the "Spring Water" brands of water, though i am not sure if this Arrowhead water is "Spring Water" or whatever.....

The best water i've yet seen is called "Sanfaustino" brand bottled carbonated water.....the pH is 5.9 (it says it on the bottle), and it contains 10% Calcium and 10% Magnesium (the slogan for the water is "the calcium water").....not only is this brand of water the best Cal/Mg supplement i have ever found (either added to soil-based media or foliar-feed), but i have a sneaky suspicion that all the bubbles of carbonation percolate through the medium and somehow loosens it up, thus providing more aeration which leads to healthier roots and greater nutrient absorption......

Hopefully you can find a really good source of water for your garden......good water quality is very important for optimal plant health and happiness.....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

MynameStitch

Dr. Doolittle
Mentor
Veteran
Hehe hiya herb! Ya, guinea pig is right and one of the biggest things you want to watch out for is if the water contains sodium, this is a big no no for using on plants.

SOdium they put in water is very different from environmental sodium and the ones they use in water is bad, plants take it in before any other element.

water

water

the best i could find, for distiled is ph-7.1 ppm-019 . got like 6 diffrent gallons last night and tested them. i have a ppm problem so was looking for something lighter. my tap water here is 668 ppm. sucks ass.was useing any distiled tell i found out that the one i was getting had ppm-276. that wasnt good enough for me. but the 1 at ppm.019 will work. so i say just grab a bunch and start testing tell ya find the one that lines up the best.
MidwestNug.....

est1977

be careful with arrowhead has a high ph i use their drinking water though and haven't seen any problems

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
mix it half and half with your tap water. You need the natural minerals and metals in the water for nutrient absorption reasons. Pure distilled water will cause problems.

inflorescence

Veteran
I used to mix half distilled (0 ppm glacier vending machine) with half tap (900 ppm) for a 450 ppm water blend and on some plants it was ok, others had not so great results.

I still can't figure it out.

For all intents and purposes it should have been better then full tap or full distilled but it was not.

You have to be careful of the pH depending what nutes you are using with this mx.

Last edited:
i use 50/50 mix, about 360ppm, and just like inflorescence some of my plants dont have problem, but others do. got sd's annd posi haze in garden. and posi has no problems, but d's do. and im fighting ph problems. keeps going high after short time. maybe some time ill figure it out. the ph thing sucks ass, makeing me spend to much time adjusting it all the time..
MidwestNug...

S

spiral

Just out of curiosity what kind of problems can be caused by using distilled water? Its just plain water right. The wal mart brand is sodium free, 0 ppm, ph 7.

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
Being that it has less PPM in it.. like 10 and up...usually under 30 PPM. This creates a major swing in the PH and buffering system. Making it very unstable when putting nutrients in your water, or just adding water to natural organic nutrients... more of the PH more of a buffer... I personally like it around 250 to 300... with a ph of 6.8 in vegging and 7 to 7.2 in flowering... I know I'm anal...

inflorescence

Veteran
That's what I can't figure out SCF.

If my regular tap has 220 ppm hardness with a total ppm of ~900 then when I mix with half distilled I should have a mix with 450 ppm and a hardness (buffer) of 120 ppm which is still a pretty nice buffer yet some plants act like there is hardly any buffer at all.

BTW, maybe I'm a bit anal too but I swear everytime I get my bottled water at the glacier vending machines my hands inevietably end up getting wet and when they dry they feel STICKY.

WTH, 0 ppm water should not feel "sticky".
Very strange.

Last edited:

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
inflorescence said:
That's what I can't figure out SCF.

If my regular tap has 220 ppm hardness with a total ppm of ~900 then when I mix with half distilled I should have a mix with 450 ppm and a hardness (buffer) of 120 ppm which is still a pretty nice buffer yet some plants act like there is hardly any buffer at all.

BTW, maybe I'm a bit anal too but I swear everytime I get my bottled water at the glacier vending machines my hands inevietably end up getting wet and when they dry they feel STICKY.

WTH, 0 ppm water should not feel "sticky".
Very strange.

You know what man! My hands get sticky too. I swear there is syrup some dirty little kid left on there or something haha! And yeah why is that.....

120 ppm isn't really that noticeable. And yeah as you grow more genetics like you and I, you start to realize that each plant has its own unique acquired taste to what they want... and this is where becoming an expert at reading plants, and the leafs. And what they tell you, is how you respond.... I just start at 300 PPM because that is the average of most plants they seem to handle well.

Now i dont understand how you have a total PPM of 900? Are you talking about after you add your nutrients? and if so, do you then mix half and half after applying the nutrients?

I still think 120 is to little of PPM and can definitely cause some issues with PH fluctuation, thus causing a domino effect of multitude of problems...

inflorescence

Veteran
SCF said:
Now i dont understand how you have a total PPM of 900?

My tap is so hard from the spigot it literally looks like this.

8277hard_tap.jpg

lol

Seriously, it's like 940 ppm @.70 hanna.

I have no choice but to cut with half distilled or else I have no room for nutes. lol

Last edited:

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
haha ok i see what you mean.. yeah mix it. And try to keep it at 300 to 350 PPM. Give that a shot before the nutrients... with nutes 800 to 900 for starters