What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

axial, centrifugal, mixed flow fans

smurfin'herb

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
so whats the differences and specific purposes of axial, centrifugal, mixed flow, and blower fans? im very confused. does mixed flow mean that you can reverse direction of flow from pushing air to pulling air with a switch? axial's look like a cenrifugal to me from what ive seen, whats the diff?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
mixedflows are almost like axials...
... mixed flow fans have better pressure, dayton blowers are cheap and loud.
im hoping someone can tell us, i need a new fan too.

petemoss

This table from a S&P fan brochure shows the differences between the three types of fans:

The squirrel cage fan (Dayton) is called a "classic centrifugal" here. The air is moved perpendicular to the axis of rotation. An in-line centrifugal fan moves air parallel to the axis of rotation. I guess a "mixed flow" fan moves the air in a diagonal direction somewhere between perpendicular and parallel.

Last edited:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
petemoss said:
This table from a S&P fan brochure shows the differences between the three types of fans:

The squirrel cage fan (Dayton) is called a "classic centrifugal" here. The air is moved perpendicular to the axis of rotation. An in-line centrifugal fan moves air parallel to the axis of rotation. I guess a "mixed flow" fan moves the air in a diagonal direction somewhere between perpendicular and parallel.

you know what my S&P 6" is a fucking trooper! it can push air through 2 180 bends and 2 90 bends and 4 hoods with 2800W and probably 10-20 ft of ducting.

petemoss

"you know what my S&P 6" is a fucking trooper! it can push air through 2 180 bends and 2 90 bends and 4 hoods with 2800W and probably 10-20 ft of ducting."

amazing! and you say it's pushing the air? I hope my 4" S&P can push air that well! I was planning to have the fan at the end, pulling air. But a sticker on the fan says "not use for heated air in excess of 104 F". Now I'm thinking to put the fan before the cooltube, pushing the air.

Latest posts

Latest posts