What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

~Pimp your Organic Fertilizer~

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
I've been meaning to get a thread going where members can post their opinions and information with regards to Organic Fertilizers!.

I would like the info for the product listed first

Product name:
Manufacturer:
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other:
Application rates as listed:
Online Source: if applicable

If you want you can add any other info from the company or website as well as a picture.

Followed by your review of how your using it and at what rates and the pros and cons you've seen thus far.

The point of the thread of course is to gather information regarding both bottled fertilizers that are organic and also solid soil ammendments or mixes, anything goes as far as which ones, I'm not even fussy as to how organic they are such as FF or PBPro.
Other posters can feel free to post their own comments as well as their own reviews for product previously listed, also things like guanos, kelp meal, cotton seed meal, etc. will need a review with a follow up on how they work.

This should be a pretty laid back thread, we lose alot of good information because there are mutiple threads for each ? about each product, having them under one roof will make certain less advertised or marketed brands visible to the growers on IC.

Peace

Suby

Last edited:

ixnay007

"I can't remember the last time I had a blackout"
Veteran
Product name: Bio Sevia
Manufacturer: General Hydroponics Europe
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: Grow 3-1-7 Bloom 2-3-4
Appication rates as listed: 2ml per liter...
Online Source: who doesn't sell GH products?

665567.jpg
665568.jpg

Decent stuff, I haven't had a chance to do a run without PH issues (still looking for dolomite lime.. grrr), they recommend using it with BM (Trichoderma harzianum) and mineral magic (which should be organic.. it's just trace minerals like silica) which I didn't do, but may try next time.

Pros: Great growth, mixes well with EWC teas (gets good and foamy), it's decently priced.

Cons: The only issue I can see with them is there's no way to tell if the bottles have been stored in extreme conditions, very high or low temps can make this stuff into the equivalent of seawater for your girls (this is an issue with all bottled organic ferts).

http://www.eurohydro.com/bioponics_about.php

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Product name: urtica dioica (stinging nettle)
Manufacturer: mother nature
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other:vitamins A and C, and rich in nutrients, including calcium, choline, magnesium, boron, iron, iodine, silica, sulfur, potassium, chlorophyll, histamine, serotonin, glucoquinones, bioflavonoids, tannins and amino acids
Appication rates as listed: soil drench, in compost tea, foliar spray, in compost, soil amendment, compost activator,
Online Source: you can buy seeds at some herb seed stores.
Other: grows easily without care other than chopping it and using it, grows excellent in shade with moist soil. chop males before they pollinate to avoid spreading.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Word you guys rock! :jump:

In thought it would take a few days before peeps posted :joint:

You guys nailed what I`m looking for right out of the gate.
Seing as you are all cut and pasting I think I`ll add that L to application lmfao.

If you guys want check out the excellent site Quadman posted you can cut and paste the detailed content information from there and tack it on.
Props for that Q.

Thanks for getting this rolling on a good note :rasta:

S

V

vonforne

Product Name: Alfalfa
Manufacturer: Mother Nature or Local feed store.
N-P-K (~3-2-2)
Alfalfa provides many nutritional benefits not only for plant use, but for soil organisms as well. One very important ingredient is tricontanol, a powerful plant growth regulator
It also includes sugars, starches, proteins, fiber and 16 amino acids.
Mg. Ca. and folic acid.
It can be used as a soil additive or as a foliar spray or both.

The tricontanol I found to be most effective as a foliar.

It can be purchased as a meal or at the feed store for 11.00 per 50 lb. bag.
Make sure it does not contain any salt.

You could also grow your own or purchase hay at the local feed store or auction.
It can be added to your compost pile and is considered a green because of the high C\N ratio.

Or my personal favorite......just brew a nice green tea with it. Don´t forget to add sugar.

Nice thread Suby. As always-You da man. :)

V

G

Hey Suby:
Pedro48 here as jj48 now.

Here are some of the products I have been using over the past year or so.
I bought all these locally at two different nurseries that carry the full line of Whitney farms Organic stuff, or nearly the full line. There are probably 6-8 more WFarm products they have but I don't need or want. These same nurseries also carry Alaska Fish products, a lot of Fox Farm stuff. Pretty much everything you need organic wise. It's funny that one place carries grow lights and lots of hydroponic gear. I think it is also cool that the average age of people I see at this one place is probably 50+. I rarely see any young people at either one. Makes you wonder who's growing what hehehehheehehehe. Us old farts know our shit :)

Now I want to say up front to all the "purists" ,critics, etc. Yes, there probably are better organic products out there. I think Whitney Farms is a subsidiary of everyone's arch enemy "Miracle Grow". Not sure though. someone will undoubtably tell me. However, I have used all these and some not shown with success. These products WILL WORK for you. So folks if you want to save money on shipping, check your local nurseries. This time of year is THE time of year when they will have this stuff...if they are gonna have it.

I use these pretty much like Lavendar Cowboy recommends on the Sticky "Organics for Beginners". I tend to go a little lighter on the Nitrogen amendments because the last 3 grows I have done were mostly sativa hybrids, or haze hybrids. These strains don't need much Nitrogen IMO. And I go a bit heavier at times with the Phosphorus ferts, but not much. To much P can cause problems. I use Liquid Karma all during my grow. Alone in water Liquid Karma acts to bring pH down...no need for pH down adjusters. Molassess maybe once a week at 1Tbls/gallon. The grow I'm currently finishing I have been using PBPro Flower(at strengths up to 3Tbls(45ml) per gallon) until late in flowering, about week 8-9. From week 9 on, I use Earth Juice Bloom because it has no Nitrogen. My 3 plants this grow are doing very well. Trichomes are really coming on. Even the 2 plants that got heavily seeded are very frosty.

It seems most are formulated to be used "about" 1 cup/cubic foot(2Tbls/gallon). One needs, or should IMO, experiment a bit to see how these or ANY amendment works for you. I have found all these easy to use. The key is to use as directed/recommended and THOROUGHLY mix them into your soil mix. I do that dry, and then again when I wet my mix with LK and Maxicrop.

EDIT
I did buy Maxicrop, Earth Juice and the Botanicare stuff from sources I found on line. I actually ordered over the phone though. Everything else I bought locally. I live in a small community, in a small state(pop. wise) There are at least two nurseries I know of that have well stocked organic supplies. So there is a lot of organic farmers and/or weed growers around here :sasmokin: Maybe I'm lucky. That said, I think if folks look around their areas(50 mile radius) they can find a lot more organic supplies that they might think. Organics and organic farming is growing rapidly in many places. Don't be shy, check around. Nobody will look at you funny...unless you actually look funny :)

And remember to add your dolomite lime at 2Tbls/gallon. I disagree a bit with some folks about pH. Those who say organic growers "don't worry about pH" are wrong in that they leave out something critical IMO. We "don't worry" BECAUSE we properly lime our soils and ensure there is plenty of humus in it BEFORE we plant. If you make a GOOD soil and lime it properly, THEN you can "not worry" about pH....and I don't. The other day I poured some freshly made Earth Juice Flower @ 2Tbls/gallon + LK @ 1tsp/gallon right straight onto my big SSH sativa pheno, the unseeded one that is in week 10 of flowering. The pH was about 3.0-3.5. That plant is thriving and is gonna be a "monster" for my grow space anyway...when done...but a fine plant by any standard. I know some will cringe when they hear I did that, BUT I knew my soil would be fine with it. :headbange

And last but not least, I highly recommend people read the beginning of that Sticky Thread for beginners where soil mixes and amendments are discussed. It is obvious to me from questions on other threads here on ICMAG that many of you new folks are not reading those Sticky Notes. You should read them. There is a wealth of information in them. :joint:

In no particular order. You'll see the NPK values on the Whitney Farm stuff near the bottom of the package.

I'll add pictures as I get them done of more stuff I use, or have used in the past.

jj48
:sasmokin:

Click on image(sometimes twice) to enlarge.

36494DolLime_Screening-thumb.jpg

Last edited:

varriform

Hello all
I have a pretty wide variety of bottled ferts that are all being used on different plants and different soil mixes right now, unfortunately.

One of my mixes is basically the second L.C. mix and the first recipe(the dry fert one) except for I am lacking kelp powder in the mix. I am in the middle of flowering with this mix and I havn't run this same soil/fert setup before so any tips are appreciated. I made this soil mix a little light on the bone/blood because I used Expert Gardener Garden Safe Organic Potting Mix as my base.
I am adding liquid ferts to this, as well.

Here they go (not all used at same time)
DWF earthworm castings brewed into a tea
Blackstrap Molasses, not sure what brand
High P guano, not sure what brand

Product name: Pure Blend Original Bloom
Manufacturer: Botanicare
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 0.5-0.5-1.0
Application rates as listed: 2 tsp(min supplemental rate) all the way up to 3 tbsp(max main fert rate)
Online Source: A whole bunch

Since I don't have kelp in the mix I have been using this on a pretty regular basis
Product name: Sea Kelp 100
Manufacturer: Organics RX
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 1-0-4
Application rates as listed: mmm not sure
Online Source: unknown

I have another program going which is....

Mix:
Peat, Perlite, Earthworm Castings, Lime, Homemade Compost and mixed in I have ..........

Product name: Vegan Mix
Manufacturer: Down to Earth
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 3-2-2
Derived from: Alfalfa meal, soybean meal, kelp meal, rock phosphate, stonemeal, greensand, and sul-po-mag
Application rates as listed: Umm.. 2 tbsp I think but I used a TAD bit less
Online Source: groworganics.com

On top of that I liquid feed with EWC, Molasses, High P guano and....

Product name: Super Grow
Manufacturer: Organics RX
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 4-2-1
Derived from: Soybean meal, Corn meal and other plant based ingrediants
Application rates as listed: not sure
Online Source: unknown

I tried to go completly vegetarian but I have had to lightly feed with

Product name:Age Old Bloom
Manufacturer:Age Old Organics
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 5-10-5
Derived from: Feathermeal, Fish, Colliodal Phosphates, Seaweed, Borax, Complex sugars of glucoheptonates of copper, zinc, manganese
Application rates as listed: ?
Online Source: ?

and

Product name: Age Old Grow
Manufacturer: Age Old Organics
Fertilizer #'s NPK and other: 12-6-6
Derived from: Same as bloom formula
Application rates as listed: ?
Online Source: ?

The only one of these ferts that I feel I really have a hold on is the Age Old products. I really have gotten the feeling for them and they have become my main fertilizer for both MJ and my entire veggie garden. I highly suggest them as complete liquid fert

Last edited:

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Suby-
I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

You're a genius!

This is a GREAT way of showing people how to grow a successful organic garden by showing them the success of other growers.

There are as many ways to grow organic as there are organic growers.

Suby, YOU ROCK! :headbange

Last edited:

sophisto

Product: Dr earth tomatoe, vegetable and herb
NPK: 5-7-3
Ingredients:fish bone meal, feather meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, soft rock phosphate, fish meal, mined potassium sulfate, humic acid, seaweed extract, PRO-BIOTIC™ seven champion strains of beneficial soil microbes plus Ecto and Endo Mycorrhizae.
Online source: www.drearth.net

Been using this one during veg at half strength. 1 tbs per 2 gallons ( recommended 1 tbsp per gallon no more than ½ cup per 5 gallons of soil)

Product: Dr earth bloom booster
NPK: 4-10-7
Ingredients: blend of fish bone meal, feather meal, mined potassium sulfate, alfalfa meal, kelp meal, seaweed extract, and PRO-BIOTIC seven champion strains of beneficial soil microbes plus Ecto and Endo Mycorrhizae.
Online source: same as above
Been using this one in flower at full strength ( 1 tbs per gallon or ½ cup per 5 gallons)

I like the ease of these two nutrients as far as mixing it with the soil at time of transplant.... Otherwise I been pretty much using straight water with some LK for the waterings... THe plants also recieve 1 bacterial tea in veg, 1 bacterail fungal in the beginning of flower and a straight fungal tea in the end of the middle of flower........HAs been working awesome..........The plants love it and I love it.... LESS IS DEFINITELY MORE !!!!

Awesome thread suby.....This thread is going to be a great compilation of information.........Looking forward to following this one......

Last edited:

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Yeah I think this will work out just fine :joint:

There are already a few products I've never seen before, and peeps I've been to many a grow shop in my short but full time as a ganja grower.

Keep this going, I'm sure there are tons more out there waiting to be..pimped.

Suby

OK so whose going to tackle LiquidKarma, there is alot of info on that one and bar none a forum favorite.

sophisto

Product: EB Stone organics sul-po-mag

NPK: 0-0-22 ( who says it's hard to get a good K source in organics)

Ingredients: "E. B. Stone Sul Po Mag is a naturally occurring crystalline material, known as langbenite. It is an excellent source of readily available sulfur, potassium and magnesium.
Contains Sulfate of Potash Magnesia".

Dosage: 1 tblsp per gallon.... ( I personally have never exceeded 1/2 tblsp per gallon)

Online source: Eb stone organics

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Product name: Glacial Rock Dust

Manufacturer: Gaia Green

Fertilizer #'s NPK and other:
GlacialRockDust.JPG

Application rates as listed:
Garden, landscape and lawn: Add 10 to 15 mg. (1 to 3 tbsp.) Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust per 4L (1gal) of your soil mix. When watering, add 10 to 15ml. (1 to 3 tbsp.) to 1.1L (1 Imp. Quart) of water every 2 to 3 weeks if possible. BAREROOT NURSERIES: Add 1 kg. per square meter (1 lb. Per 5 sq. ft.) by mixing into 5 to 10 cm. (2 to 4 sq. ft.) of soil. GARDEN and LANDSCAPE: Up to 10 kg. (22 lbs.) per 10 square meters (100 sq. ft). Gently dig into the soil surface up to once per year or as desired.
Pre-mixing soil for hanging baskets potted plants and planter boxes: Thoroughly mix 120ml. (8tbsp) into 4L (1gal.) of soil or growing medium prior to planting
Top dressing hanging baskets, potted plants, and planter boxes: Hanging baskets, potted plants, and planter boxes: 60ml (4tbsp.) per 4L (1gal.) of soil or growing medium. Apply up to once per month or as desired. Gently dig Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust into the soil surface where possible. COMPOSTING: Mix liberally into compost pile or bin as a microbial enhancer during processing. Also mix Gaia Green Glacial Rock Dust with any finished compost to improve mineral balance.

Online Source: http://www.gaiagreen.com/products/product_detail.asp?ID=4
http://www.gaiacollege.ca/course_co..._Fertilizers_MineralFertilizers_RockDusts.php

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
Suby said:
OK so whose going to tackle LiquidKarma, there is alot of info on that one and bar none a forum favorite.
Suby

After I read this last night I did a little study on what the manufacturer actually claims in in this magical elixir.

After the experience on the 'Organics & PH' thread I think that I'll pass on making too much comment other than offer this:
The level of writing that appears in the POS materials (point of sale) is extraordinary and rivals some of the drivel and spittle that comes out of Arcata, California at FoxFarm Fertilizer's headquarters on their own lackluster portfolio of products.

I have always wondered where former political speech writers, strategists, media spinners, et al. actually end up after they've been soaped-up and bent over the hood of the car and shown how the boar runs run through the buckwheat - they go to work for cannabis nutrient companies. Or they open grow stores. Same deal, basically. Selling mediocre sh*t to a public/market used to the entire dreadful process of buying, eating and digesting sh*t.

I use a tag-line on political boards that I play on that reads: "Vote Republican - It's Easier Than Thinking"

You could change that to "Buy Liquid Karma - It's Easier Than Thinking"

HTH

CC

G

"You could change that to "Buy Liquid Karma - It's Easier Than Thinking"

And your alternative to Liquid Karma is? Keep in mind that many of us have neither the time nor the inclination to make up our own elixers from scratch.

Bad form to trash something and not say what you would do instead. Doing nothing is a valid answer too...for me anyway.

So you say what?

jj48

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
Ordinarily I would agree but LK has proven itself to me over the years, I've said it before and I will say it again, it is the only bottled fertilizer I use when growing organic aside from liquid seaweed.

I agree Botanicare is full of shit, I don't argue marketing and branding is at the forefront, I'm thinking they just got lucky with LK and it's formulation lol.

I think to only fully organic replacement would be a well brewed microbial tea, to me it's alot like the elements we add to a tea.

Subster

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Clackamas Coot said:
Suby

After I read this last night I did a little study on what the manufacturer actually claims in in this magical elixir.

After the experience on the 'Organics & PH' thread I think that I'll pass on making too much comment other than offer this:
The level of writing that appears in the POS materials (point of sale) is extraordinary and rivals some of the drivel and spittle that comes out of Arcata, California at FoxFarm Fertilizer's headquarters on their own lackluster portfolio of products.

I have always wondered where former political speech writers, strategists, media spinners, et al. actually end up after they've been soaped-up and bent over the hood of the car and shown how the boar runs run through the buckwheat - they go to work for cannabis nutrient companies. Or they open grow stores. Same deal, basically. Selling mediocre sh*t to a public/market used to the entire dreadful process of buying, eating and digesting sh*t.

I use a tag-line on political boards that I play on that reads: "Vote Republican - It's Easier Than Thinking"

You could change that to "Buy Liquid Karma - It's Easier Than Thinking"

HTH

CC

Glad your gathering information and it works for you; please don't be arrogant and believe its the right way for everyone. The world is not black and white...

Also, we're having a positive discussion and vibes, but you seem to (don't defensive please grow from what I'm saying) like to rain on the parade.

you -> :badday: <- me

texas grass

http://www.sanjacsupply.com/horticultural/orfeli.htmMaximum Bloom Is Ideal To Use On Anything That Blooms Or Buds
All Natural • All Organic • More Blooms • Bigger Blooms • More Radiant Plant Color
Maximum Blooms is another one of San Jacinto’s liquid fertilizer products that produces great results. Our secret is the careful blending of High Phosphate Fish, Cold-Processed Kelp, Humic Acid, Molasses, selected Plant Hormones and Plant Extracts.
Maximum Blooms, because of the ingredients used, gives you unparalleled plant nutrition and performance. With Maximum Blooms you get essential minerals including 3-8-3 N/P/K, Natural Sugars, Amino Acids, Enzymes, Plant Hormones, Vitamins, Natural Chelators, and Plant Stimulators. Maximum Blooms nutrition will cause your plants to set more blooms, produce bigger blooms and tighter bloom sets. For food production, you’ll see more blooms bear fruit production. Overall, your plant color is deeper, more radiant.
During times of stress, heat, cold, bloom set, etc., Maximum Blooms will give the plant the nutrition and hormones that it needs to keep on producing for you.
As with all of our liquid organic fertilizers, continued use of Maximum Blooms will also reduce problems of pest insects and disease thereby making your operations more profitable.
APPLICATION RATES
2-4 Oz. Per Gallon Water • Spray Every 30-60 Days
Per 1,000 Sq. Ft.: 6-8 oz. mixed with sufficient water
SIZES AVAILABLE
1 Gallon

i love using this stuff it smells alittle but is great stuff

guineapig

Veteran
Sugar Peak: Sweet & Heavy

This nutrient line is designed for "organic hydroponic" applications, and comes in a 2-part formula as well as a 3-part formula....

If you’re looking for premium results and the convenience of a one-part formula, look no further. Sugar Peak Vegetative (3-1-5) encourages strong stem development and healthy leaf growth in houseplants, benefits the vegetative phase of flowering plants, and improves any plant’s overall yield and resistance to pests. Part of the "Hydro-Fusion" line, Sugar Peak Vegetative is easily assimilated by soil-based and hydroponically-grown plants and consists of natural elements including molasses and marine-bird and bat guanos as well as bio-enhancers and other elemental nutrients.

If you’re looking for premium results and the convenience of a one-part formula, look no further. Sugar Peak Flowering (2-4-5) fuels bud formation in flowering plants and enhances the sweetness of your most flavorful fruits. Part of the "Hydro-Fusion" line, Sugar Peak Flowering is easily absorbed by soil-based and hydroponically-grown plants and consists of natural elements including molasses and marine-bird and bat guanos as well as bio-enhancers and other elemental nutrients.

http://www.wormsway.com/catalog.asp?cat=FERTO&offset=72

Guinea Pig Poop!!!!!

I have researched guinea pig guano and have found a reference from a proposal to raise large amounts of guinea pigs as a solution to providing animal protein in regions of the world that do not have access to adequate protein levels......

The N-P-K ratios were determined to be (2.49 - 0.84 - 1.50). This NPK ratio is the best in the animal kingdom, and guinea pigs produce a massive amount of manure. 1000 guinea pigs can produce 3000 kilograms of manure per month.....

Love the thread Suby!!!!! :woohoo:

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Latest posts

Latest posts