What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What kind of Pests do I have?

H

Huey69

I'm not quite sure what I'm dealing with here. I have little orange and white/clearish bugs hanging out underneath the pots of my plants(either on the container, or on the ground). I have not found any actually on my plants at all, the closet I've seen them is on the brim of the container(and only a few then, mostly underneath). This are the best pictures I could get(I had to use a 2x eye loop). Any help is appreciated. (I'm also new to growing...so for any tips of getting rid of them, details would be also appreciated).
100_1102.jpg

100_1124.jpg

You can see in the first pic the orange ones, and one of each in the second pic.

Oh...and I've started to notice some white flys here and there, any tips on that is appreciated too :rasta:

2buds

Are you in flower or veg stage? In veg I mixed up a little bit of every pesticide I had around in a trash can. I dunked my plants in all the way to the pot. Repeated in 1-2 weeks, sprayed everything else(walls, ceiling,floors,..) and the pest haven't returned. That was in Sept last year. Late in flower your best bet will be beneficial insects that will eat these guys. No pesticides in flower, its your health and those that you smoke with.

H

Huey69

Well..the plants that I've noticed the bugs at are in veg(6 plants), but I also have 6 other plants that are flower(although...i havnt seen many bugs around them, i'll have to re-check today). They are outdoor(put out too early hence the flowering of some), and my dad had sprayed the yard with some sort of pesticide before we put the plants out originally(in march). I'll have to double check what he bought.
And when you say you dunked your plants, do you mean just the pot(up to the stem) or the otherway around(so plant in, pot out)?

2buds

Plant in-pot out, turned them upside down and dunked them, guaranteed I covered every square inch. Outdoor is somewhere I've never been with a grow. Maybe the beneficial insects would help in a long term manner. You may want to start a new thread asking for help with pest problems in an outdoor grow so the outdoor guys will notice you and hopefully chime in with some help. Good luck with your grow Huey. If you do plan to try beneficial insects be aware when it gets hot outside they'll only want to ship overnite and that usually cost more than what you're buying.

Peace

H

Huey69

Core said:
look at this....is it these critters? do they jump? ...i suppose you got them in the runoff and medium ?

http://www.whatsthatbug.com/springtails.html
Hmmm...I have noticed a few jumping. And they do hang out around where the runoff would come from. There aren't huge infestations like some of the reports on the website where, but still a good amount.
So it looks like these are the problem. The only remedy i saw on that site was infusing garlic with water(although it did not mention a specific amount).

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea then i'm quite shure its these bugs...and they can hurt your harvest big time !!!!
they feest on your roots...and damage them..causing some plants to have PH problems...this is for real..i've encourterd it a few times....there quite easy to get in control...i use Pyrethrum..combined with Neemdrenches...but wiping them out completly will be harder.... this involves cleaning the room from top to bottom..inclusive the taking of new cuts of mom's to start over...

H

Huey69

Pyrethrum? Neemdrenches? I'm new to all this. Is this stuff I can pick up locally, say at lowes? And this is outdoors, so there are no rooms to clean.

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
well i would't know...i'm not from your region for shure..no lowes here ,lol..or depot for that matter....but it quite easy to find at garden centers...or google it to get a idea of what you need...maybe get it send to ya..?

H

Huey69

Just got back from checking them out, and ya the flowering plants have a bit of them too. I'll check to see what insect spray we have(my dad sprayed the yard a couple weeks before we got the first group of plants), and see if it would be save to use(I forgot to check today haha). THanks for the help thus far.

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Sorry for your issues.

I have ants. They sure do move a lot of soil. They've only infested on pot. It's the bag seed line I have. Not bothering the Miss Mud or White Widow. I call it a bag seed line because they magically appeared in a bag seed grow and all tend to be female plants.

Dealing with the ants, I re-potted, but then thought that I just wasted more dirt. Looking in the garage I I found an ant killer that i used along the edges of the box hoping that will at least cut their numbers.

After this grow, if I have moved, it gets torn down. If I the RE deal I am working and waiting on falls through, it gets torn down, the soil goes, and I rebuild.

If I have to, I'll just toss the entire plant if I can't keep them under control. Ant's are not a big issue, and I suspect that they were the ones responsible for poor germ rates and missing seed. I swear they were eating them.

Good luck with your little buggers...