What's new

$35 Drip System tutorial :)

Here is all you need..(didn't include Reservoir because thats up to the you on what to use. mine is going to be upgraded to a small rubbermaid when i get more money :rasta:)

Dripper Kit:Dripper Kit costs about $13.00

Pump:Pump costs about $11.00

Timer: Home Accents Indoor Digital Timer. (cant find it online but its made by Home Depot) costs about $8.00

Reservoir: i had a bucket hanging around so i used it... FREE!!

Everything was locally bought but i'm sure you could order stuff online cheaper.

Now the beginning :rasta:

All the Pieces laid out.

I have a little less then 1 square foot of grow room so this is the micro version but you have 60 Feet of tubing to have fun with..

First i measured out 33 inches of tubing and divide that into 5 pieces. Then connect it with the Tees to look like this...

I add Ball Valve to each end to stop the water from going out of one side. also i want to turn the drippers off manually.

Then i measure out 5 feet of tubing and divide it into 5 pieces. Then connect the tubes to the Tees...

Another pic with them all connected...

Now i add the Drippers to the tubes...

For me to attach the Dripper tubing to the pump i cut a piece off my old vaporizer whip, and push the dripper tubing into the vape tubing then secure it with 2 zip ties. (Cant have leaks) The dripper tubing in this pic is 5 feet long so it extends from my reservoir to my cab.

Now we connect the tubing to the pump. the pump came with attachments for different size tubing so i grabbed the smallest one and it fit snug with the old vape tubing. This is my reservoir hooked up to the whole drip system.

a better pic of the pump in the bottom of the reservoir.

Now just install it into your cab. i used duck tape to attach it to the walls but the kit does come with mounting brackets.. but i dont want it to be permanent so..

Finished Product installed..

Off

On

Last edited:
well i have it water my plants 2 times a week for 10min at a time... but just put it a in few hours ago so who knows what the timing is going to be.. once i dial it in there shouldn't be any over watering...

dtoker

thats cool man, can u adjust the drip rate and stuff? Also is it ok to run nutes thru the pump, ie. Wont get clogged up or something? And how u much noise do they make mate?

the setup is silent.. i got nutes running through it but like i said its only been up for a few hours and has been run once.. it wont run again for another 3 days.. but if it does clog, well i got 60 feet of tubing to replace anything... also the pump opens up for really really easy cleaning...

Bumble Buddy

Good job GreenScreen on the system and nice tutorial. :yes:

I need to get a setup like that going. I was wondering what pump to get, how does yours seem? Good flow?

I've used those pressure compensating drip heads, like the ones you got in the kit, in setting up a landscape watering system; they're nice because you get equal flow from all the heads.

One thing I heard mentioned somewhere on the boards was that a magnetic pump like that can trap iron particles (a ferrous plant nutrient), does anyone know if this is much of an issue for such setups?

G

Bumble Buddy said:
Good job GreenScreen on the system and nice tutorial. :yes:

I need to get a setup like that going. I was wondering what pump to get, how does yours seem? Good flow?

I've used those pressure compensating drip heads, like the ones you got in the kit, in setting up a landscape watering system; they're nice because you get equal flow from all the heads.

One thing I heard mentioned somewhere on the boards was that a magnetic pump like that can trap iron particles (a ferrous plant nutrient), does anyone know if this is much of an issue for such setups?

I have used a pump very much like GS's for about 3 years now. :headbange

I had to give up the drippers. :badday:

The hoses were "difficult" for me...hard to move plants around, etc...
And I had trouble with dry spots in the soil.
I tried more drippers but the hose would get more complicated/tangled.

But I kept everything & may give it another go in the future...

In the meantime, I do exactly like GS. Except I just use the rez/pump/open 1/4" hose to hand-water individual plants.

As long as the fert is water-soluable, it goes thru the pump.
The chunky style organic ferts may clog...

I use fish squeezins, and it goes thru fine...
:wave:

well for me the pump is perfect.. cant ask for anything more quite... but when i went to the hydro shop i asked the guy what pump do all your systems run on because they have about 20 systems at the store... well he said to me the mini jets are better built, both have 1 year warranties... blah blah blah... then he answered my question, all their systems use eco plus pumps... so he recommended the one i got cuz of the price difference :p (the so called "better" pump cost $22.95 (ouch)...) and then he added that they had been running eco pumps since they opened... which was like in 1997... so ya needless to say i was sold.. :p anyways enough about the pump... my system uses drippers that can go from 1-10 gph, so i put my pump on full blast and all my pots are full within 10 min... with the drip tray full.. i leave it like that and come back in an hour so all the water could soak in and i was amazed... i was sticking my finger in the soil to try and find dry spots... cant find any... i also can see dry soil because all my pots are clear... nothing... so im a happy camper :wave:

Mr_Micro

Nice tutorial!

I think I might use your auto watering system design this summer when I go out of town for a while (or if I just get extremely lazy at some point LOL). I'm sure it will work great for both soil and coco :smoke:

G

GreenScreen said:
...so i put my pump on full blast and all my pots are full within 10 min... with the drip tray full.. i leave it like that and come back in an hour so all the water could soak in and i was amazed... i was sticking my finger in the soil to try and find dry spots... cant find any... i also can see dry soil because all my pots are clear... nothing... so im a happy camper :wave:

AHA!
That may have been my problem.
I had my pots on a DIY gutter system.
They never had the opportunity to soak and get fully saturated. They just dripped straight thru.

But that is what I wanted! I was trying to avoid lifting heavy (7 gal) saturated pots from their water filled drain pans just to drain the pans.
But the soil would get saturated, and I went to powered hand watering.

I'm still lifting heavy pots...I have yet to figure that one out...

thanx everyone.. it works awesome :p

Mr_Micro said:
Nice tutorial!

I think I might use your auto watering system design this summer when I go out of town for a while (or if I just get extremely lazy at some point LOL). I'm sure it will work great for both soil and coco :smoke:

but ya the reason i built it was because summer is coming and ill be away a lot.... i have put all pots in 2 liter bottles because i want no leaks..

-GreenScreen

Last edited:
another update i have bought a better timer...
Timer

i had a home depot gift card i had just found.. so what better to buy then a sweet new timer.. get to mount it to the wall and everything... its real nice ran me about 21 bux..

finished results for timings..

MONDAY: 4:00pm - 4:08pm
THURSDAY:4:00pm - 4:08pm
SUNDAY:4:00pm - 4:02pm

i figured out with 8min they all begin to drain into the bottom of the trays.. the 2 min on Sunday is just to make up for that extra day... only if i could program it to 8min every 3 days..

but it is working without a hitch... no clogs, no sound, and no leaks.. :headbange

adding a new reservoir made out of a cooler... update on the gh nutrients... might add another pump just to circulate the mix because gh leaves a sticky residue.... look for a tutorial for the cooler reservoir soon... :)

T

TheOneWill

Could you use these for like a constant water flow? Sort of like an ebb n flow. Instead of dripping could it just be a constant flow. Say for like a coco coir medium.

If you do end up having problems with the water not reaching all the dirt you could try adding a tube to the end of your dripper and making a ring around your plant, add a "T" and poke holes in the ring tube for even dripping.
this should work good. enjoy!

oohcow

First off i wanna say NICE drip system... that thangs diffinently pimpin... and i love your cabs definently nice work :-D If you can teach me on these i might save money not needing to buy a tent maybe... but i'm pretty dumb with tools so yeah...

you should write a guide on how to build your mom/clone cab or something for me... I absolutely love to design.. where did you get the cab? or did you build it?

another question. Do you think its necessary to have a mother and a seperate clone room? I am going to be using 1 tent for mothers and clones and not sure if i could seperate it... (im assuming different lighting purposes?) I plan to run 3 26w cfls in that veg tent.... do you know if this is okay?

i use the same box for both because of light schedules.. and size... i am going to be building a new box soon so... i need one to fit a 400 watt cmh/hps...

Latest posts

Latest posts