What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MicroSOG DrBudGreengenes Stylie.

Have a little experience growing outdoors, but its still winter here so am embarking on my first indoor grow. Got started but since picture uploads have been down have waited to post until they were functional.

First, a big thank you to DrBudGreengenes, :respect: been reading a ton about indoor cultivation but your compact SOG style really clicked for me. Simple and low risk due to the non redflag inducing materials/nutes. Going to try and follow in your footsteps and see what I can achieve. :woohoo:

Growing a White Widow/Zombie Black strain called Black Queen from HighGrade. I am pushing it this year and growing inside to get things rolling for a sick family member. Can't wait until fall for harvest! This strain sounded like it fit the bill...

Black Queen: 80% Indica - 20% Sativa
"Its a cross between a very special White Widow clone and Zombie Black, creating a heavily crystallized and resinous plant with lots of vigorous growth. Great for relieving pain, insomnia, and regaining appetite for chemo patients. Tastes kind of nutty and smells like vanilla. "

Dropped 4 beans into a glass of water, (5.8 ph and been great for all other plant life I have grown.) and let them soak 36 hours. All 4 cracked, and once the tap root started to unfurl they went into the DrBud patent pending super secret popbottle containers. :bandit:

When I grow outside, I have used Coast of Maine potting soil I can get easily at Whole Foods.
bag-barharbor.jpg

"Bar Harbor Blend is made with lobster and aspen bark compost, long staple horticultural grade sphagnum peat moss and perlite. Like all compost-based soils, this too requires less watering."

Mmmmm, Lobster! :yes:

It has always worked well for me, from garden herbs to flowers.

Fish emulsion is an old friend, just needed a quick trip to Wall Mart to pick up perlite, superthirve, and shultz 10-15-10.

1/3 perlite, 2/3 soil got mixed and put into the pop bottles, and then onto a windowsill to stew while I setup my grow cab.

I had a 150hps security light on hand, so am starting with that. (bird in the hand) :rasta:

The grow space is 24x24 and 30" tall. It is a bit on the cool side, 64-66F hoping to avoid having to heat it. When growing outside in the spring, the temps are in this range, and the plants don't complain so we will see.

And so it begins....

In this first picture the seedlings are on day 10 since they came out of the envelope and went in the water. So far they all look pretty happy with life, only downside was how fast they popped up after I put them in the soil! They got 12 hours of sun on the windowsill and stretched a bit.

Put them into the cab about 4 inches from the lamp. Back of hand test was comfortable, and after a bit a surface reading of the leaves and soil was 88F (air temp 66F)

The roots just showed up at the bottom of the bottles, looking for the water from that first dip I just gave them....

Day 13

The HPS stopped the stretch, but I am afraid that I am cooking the 'lil buggers! The first set of leaves look like they are curling down to get away from the heat/light. Still a lamp noob, so raised the light to 8 inches above the pots. Soil and leaf surface temps 78F, air 66F. See if they perk up a bit.

Day 16 since germination began/12 since soilbreak.

The Queens are starting to work out their third set of leaves, and the root structures and leaf color look healthy. I am still wondering a bit about the leaf curl. :chin:

I have little experience growing in a container this small, and when I grew other times, I pretty much watered once a week and ignored it the rest of the time. Am I killing them with kindness? :spank:

I thought it might be overwatering, so let the plants get a bit thirsty before their drink today. No real change. I flushed the soil well and let it sit to stew before planting, so I don't think it was too hot. This same soil has worked well for other fragile seedlings I have thrown into it. (lettuce, basil, chives) No nutes yet....Nothing but 5.8ph water has been applied.

Temps perhaps? The grow temps fluctuate between 60 night/66 day. Any suggestions about the curl or am I being over paranoid?

Roots on Day 18 since germination began/14 since soilbreak.

They look good and hairy, starting to curl around in the knobs at the bottom of the pop bottle!

It has been two days since their last dip, yet the soil at the bottom is still plenty wet. I am going to go with overwatering as my problem. :bashhead:

Will let them breathe until they start to look thirsty.

Day 18 since germination began/14 since soilbreak.

Nice and even green, but still curly and the leaves are super juicy and springy like a stalk of celery. More evidence to me that they might be too wet in these little containers.

Ok! that brings me up to date. Now that pictures are working again will try to keep updating as the grow progresses.

Once again thank you DrBud for all the info you have posted. Feeling lucky that I am just a week or two behind your Geisha test. I am watching you go through your growth cycle step by step and its awfully nice to have someone with experience to observe!

Tried to describe my troubleshooting process on the leaf curl. As I said, I am an indoor virgin, so any input is most welcome. :wave:

Last edited:

Green Dave

Hempy
I have started a micro of my own and am using a 100 watt MH in a bubble type hydro and im having the same problem with leaf curling under.
My temps are on the high side 75 night and up to 88 during the day
read somewhere about killing with to much attention
I think we have over watered
Good luck
I started with bagseed to test the waters before putting bought seeds in also thinking of gowing with soil for the next so I can get a stash going
Happy growing
GD

Drying out:

I would say the leaf curl was a mixture of over watering and heat stress. The new leaves are not curling and look happy. The seedlings are on day 4.5 since their last dip, and are perking up rather then getting thirsty and wilting.

So I fell into my first noob trap already - DOH! :spank:

Will let them tell me when its next time to water. :redface:

How are your plants doing as they dry out Green Dave?

ripOG

Yeah they do look a bit over watered. You'll notice them perk up for a couple days and then start to wilt again. You want to water again while they are still a little perky.

They looked a bit light-deprived in the first couple pics. How far away is your light?

They looked a bit light-deprived in the first couple pics. How far away is your light?

I planted the germinated seeds, then left them an a warm and well lit windowsill while I finished construction on the grow space. They only had 12 hours of unattended sun, but exploded out of the soil once they broke ground and reached for the heavens. The stretch halted as soon as I put them under the HPS, and now the nodes are tight and the have not added much in height.

I put them under the HPS (150w)with about 4-5 inches of space, but think that was a bit hot for them. Now they are about 8 inches from the bulb. They seem a lot happier.

Thanks for the input, now I have to get a feel for how they look like when they are thirsty, but not parched! :canabis:

Green Dave

Hempy
We will see , I had to go out of town for work :( that is one way to keep me from giving to much attention. Hope yours get better

I bet you will come back from your trip to a much happier garden. Another day drier, and mine are just about back to "normal.

The ladybugs sure love them!

Starting to show some sparklies too!

Would like to top it & clone now that its gone past the 3 node mark, but the nodes are so tight I can't get in there to snip it without damaging the new growths in the crook of the branches. Hopefully another day or two and they will grow a bit taller to allow me the room to operate.

Green Dave

Ya the same here I have about 4-5 nodes but they are very very close and I cant seem to get them to strech. Hope yours recover for you

DrBudGreengenes

Veteran
You are off to a great start.... :headbange
In the future when starting seeds you may want to use a lil" 3oz cup.....It allows you better control over water. And allows you to bury the stem when you move to the Bottles.

Good Luck ......I'll be watchin' ya' :wave:

DrBudGreengenes said:

In the future when starting seeds you may want to use a lil" 3oz cup.....It allows you better control over water. And allows you to bury the stem when you move to the Bottles.

Ahh, makes sense thanks! (Adding to note book...)

I got a little bit of soil compaction when I started watering the seedlings, and that allowed me to add soil to help support the stems, but it would have been much better to be able to set them a bit deeper into the pop bottles from the outset.

Last edited:
Day 5 of the drought, and the plants were showing the first signs of thirst. Gave them a dip in plan water, and they are perking up.

The nodes on these seedlings are still super tight. 1/8 inch at best. Want to top them so I can start sexing, but there still isn't much room. Going to need a few more days I guess.