What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Low in the city

Germanator

Good evening everyone, my name is Germ short for the German or the Germanator. I reside in a state where medicinal marijuana is respected by the state yet attacked by federal government. I live and die by every Laker win or loss, yet still make time to watch a big Bayern match live. I like all kinds of music and most other forms of entertainment. I enjoy growing all kinds of plants and this summer I'm taking it to the outdoodrs in a bigger way... If you like the vibes, here is my grow for 2008.

I'll be using the LST method along with some selective fimming to keep these plants as short as possible. I have very limited height restrictions but I think I should be able to keep my yield high with enough healthy lateral growth throughout veg. I'm fairly new to growing outdoors so if you stop by and see something that could be fixed, spit it out. Love to learn... and this is the place to do it.

Be easy

Germ

The structure is not complete. I'll be adding sheets of Polycarbonate to the ends and hanging a black tarp to hide the view from my widow (on the left). The polycarbonate is white, and is is not transparent, yet is translucent making it suitable for growing. Nobody will be peeking over any fences or spying from the sky. I'm going to seal off the side closest to the front end of the house with fire wood and a sheet of plywood to keep anyone from being able to look in from the street... or kids hoping the fence and taking a look. The front end is going to be sealed with clear tarp so that at the end of the summer when the smell is strong I can control the ventilation, to keep the smell under some control during windy days.

I'm going with 12 X 18 Gal rubbermaid containers. They are painted white to the keep the hot sun from baking my roots, and they will be raised off the Hot/cold cement on bricks... in an attempt to keep the soil temp as stable as possible. Also, went ahead and drilled some holes in them for drainage. The strain is going to be OGX Bubba kush and maybe a lone DJ Short blue berry.

Welcome to my urban guerilla grow show... more to come.

Germ :joint:

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Why don't you just make it air tight and add a fan + carbon scrubber running 24/7, creating negative pressure. Nobody would be able to smell anything.

Btw, have fun training those and I think you're starting wwaay to early considering how big they'll be and your limited space.

I also don't see that getting much direct light... is that facing, south, north, east west?

Sorry, I'm just bringing some realism.

i don't recommend going through with this... all it takes is for someone to peek over the fence with ill intentions and you're going to get jacked. someone could also end up smelling them or seeing them and calling crimestoppers or the local pd, next thing you know you've got a handful of federal agents going through all your stuff

i don't know your living situation or how your neighbors would react, but it just isn't worth it to me, just trying to prevent you from getting in trouble.

Germanator

Real quick before I head to work. That side of the house gets more direct sunlight than any other. The only shade provided is during the last few hours of sunset. The entire backyard is fairly big, with two fences. One wooden fence which stands maybe 7-8 feet high and on the neighboor's side of that is about a 14 ft "privacy fence." The person who live on the other side of the fence you see is retired and recently widowed (2 years ago). She is one cool lady, but she is never home as she has a house on the East Coast and travels with her friends most of the year. That being said, check out my indoor link guys... I wouldn't be doing this if i didn't think I could pull it off.

I like the carbon scrubber idea but it shouldn't be necessary until the end. I'm not starting them for a while. I haven't even taken the cuts.

...and it is impossible to look over the opposite fence and get an angle to see the top of the poly roofing.

Germ

RealSupreme

hey Germanator,
Nice work bro! u have very good conditions to do a great outdoor so i just can say.. good luck mate! I will be watching this one!
Peace

i agree that plants outside now is too early for wanting to keep them small, unless you are blacking this out and force flowering all season. secondly, that neighbor's house is like RIGHT THERE...kinda risky for a setup that big no matter how cool she is. what if she has house guests over for something and just out of curiosity looks over the fence because they are asking themselves what the thing is that they see between the boards of the fence...or maybe they ask themselves where that delicious smell of dankiness is coming from?

hes the one that lives there, i think he knows best if he can pull of a grow or not...if you can do it, looks like a nice setup to me.

Germanator

Alright lets calm some of these fears people. Frosty hit it pretty square when he said I am the one who lives here. I set this thing up to get some different perspectives. I am going to seal it. After giving it a days thought it makes much more sense to control airflow. Maybe a carbon scrubber will be necessary... maybe it won't but if it is, I'll have it out there in a hurry.

This is a medicinal grow and will be done under two separate prescriptions. The grow will be labeled as such... now this doesn't give me a free pass, but it would give my neighbor reason not to mind the grow if she ever did become annoyed by the smell towards the end of summer. The ONLY way that anyone has an angle to see this thing would be to take a ladder and look over with a purpose... in which case all they will see is a white roof. There are hedges (bushes) on the other side of that fence with only enough room to walk along side the house... so the angle is even worse, plus she is about 5 ft tall!!!

Here is the last of the polycarbonate being mounted on the ends. The rest of the open space will be sealed with clear tarp and the front end (where I will work from) will be applied with velcro lining, so that I can easily remove and re seal the tarp after working. The thing won't be air tight... but it doesn't really have to be at the moment.

I'll get the tarp up this weekend and take the cuts... If anyone wants to throw out a ball park date when the plants should go out... that would be advice I'd like to hear.

Be easy everyone

marto

Nice setup. If its ready to go, i'd put some clones in right away and try to get some sringtime bud and trim em back in may for the summertime run.

Greeseyder

Party on Germ! I like so far.....wish I had some stealthy space to work with......

GO Leverkusen!!! One of the teams I get to see here :)

G

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Germanator said:
Alright lets calm some of these fears people. Frosty hit it pretty square when he said I am the one who lives here. I set this thing up to get some different perspectives. I am going to seal it. After giving it a days thought it makes much more sense to control airflow. Maybe a carbon scrubber will be necessary... maybe it won't but if it is, I'll have it out there in a hurry.

This is a medicinal grow and will be done under two separate prescriptions. The grow will be labeled as such... now this doesn't give me a free pass, but it would give my neighbor reason not to mind the grow if she ever did become annoyed by the smell towards the end of summer. The ONLY way that anyone has an angle to see this thing would be to take a ladder and look over with a purpose... in which case all they will see is a white roof. There are hedges (bushes) on the other side of that fence with only enough room to walk along side the house... so the angle is even worse, plus she is about 5 ft tall!!!

Here is the last of the polycarbonate being mounted on the ends. The rest of the open space will be sealed with clear tarp and the front end (where I will work from) will be applied with velcro lining, so that I can easily remove and re seal the tarp after working. The thing won't be air tight... but it doesn't really have to be at the moment.

I'll get the tarp up this weekend and take the cuts... If anyone wants to throw out a ball park date when the plants should go out... that would be advice I'd like to hear.

Be easy everyone

I agree it is too short-- I grew under the same matl...altho it was full barns...and tho they are great, they are not without problems-- First-off...you have no ventilation in there...need to change that-- You are in Cali, so that means you are dealing with either heat or humidity...if not both-- It gets hot under those!! We had big-ass swamp-coolers going...(3 per barn) and temps still got over 100 (Ok...and we were in the desert...lol)-- Even with that working against us...the Kush we were growing still was 4 ft-- Also you could have Powder Mildew issues..with high heat and humidity--
At the very least, you need fans in there circulating air--
But if at all possible, I would make it higher--
Nice start tho-- :wave:

Germanator

I can't make it much taller without compromising it being seen from the street easily. Maybe a ft or two but if someone were say 6'8'' it wouldn't be hard to see the roof. I was able to keep 4 smaller plants pretty low last summer through training and topping, so hopefully I can do the same with more work and larger plants.

I am thinking that it will stay open (the sides) for the beginning of summer until they start to bloom. At that point when the smell calls for it I can seal up the tarp and throw an inline fan with a carbon scrubber in there and maybe a fan to promote more air movement, with only a passive intake.

It isn't too humid where I am, and not that hot either. Not to say it doesn't get hot, but I'm not inland, Ya dig? I count on having PM issues because I had them with my four plants outside last season, but watering my lawn in the morning should help with that a little.

Glad to have you taking a look KMK, your opinion would be good to have around.

Be easy,
Germ

kmk420kali

Freedom Fighter
Veteran
Germanator said:
I can't make it much taller without compromising it being seen from the street easily. Maybe a ft or two but if someone were say 6'8'' it wouldn't be hard to see the roof. I was able to keep 4 smaller plants pretty low last summer through training and topping, so hopefully I can do the same with more work and larger plants.

I am thinking that it will stay open (the sides) for the beginning of summer until they start to bloom. At that point when the smell calls for it I can seal up the tarp and throw an inline fan with a carbon scrubber in there and maybe a fan to promote more air movement, with only a passive intake.

It isn't too humid where I am, and not that hot either. Not to say it doesn't get hot, but I'm not inland, Ya dig? I count on having PM issues because I had them with my four plants outside last season, but watering my lawn in the morning should help with that a little.

Glad to have you taking a look KMK, your opinion would be good to have around.

Be easy,
Germ

I have to admit, I have been lagging-- I just now looked at the thread in your sig...and I will go out on a limb here...lol...and say you may have the ability to pull it off-- It is going to take some creative trimming and bondage...but I look forward to seeing you deal with these details-- Peace bro-- :joint:

buzzy

Wow, nice setup. I have every confidence that you can pull this off, you seem to know what you're doing. I'd say get them in start of may. With a good bit of topping, even FIM, you should pull a VERY respectable harvest. Good luck Germ!

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
I agree that you can do it if you add a fan for circulation and keep it possible to seal it 100%, add a carbon scrubber and create negative pressure. Also if you plant them around late june, early july.

Germanator

Thanks for stopping by everyone.

Mr. Celsius - I am going to seal it. Maybe I will have time to get it done this weekend and throw some of my young hawaiian plants in there for a few weeks as a test run of sorts. I'd rather have them too big than too small. I could always hit them with Bush Doctor if they are not taking to the training... that or clipping all the top shoots over and over until flower is an option. You think by putting them out at the beginning of may I'd be doing myself more harm than good in this regard? Stick around, love to have more outdoor inclined growers spreading the knowledge.

Germ

58FLH

Germ.
I read somewhere that using hard liquor in your water will limit plant heights. The concentration was very low and eveidently this has been used for years, I think I saw it in the organic soil areas.
58FLH

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
Hey Germanator. Nice setup you´ve made. I´m looking forward to follow your grow.

Peace
Paddi

Latest posts

Latest posts