What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CFL Rubbermaid Experiment w/ EarlyPearlxNorthernLights!!!

Hello ICMag,

I have been busy lately so I have not been very active on ICmag lately. But I do want to fill everyone in on what I am up to. Same grow cab as my last two grows.

GROW AREA: 2x22gal rubbermaids, 6 cfl's, currently 4x26watt daylight bulbs and 2x42watt 2700k= 188watts.

Will eventually replace two of the 26watt daylight bulbs w/ 2 more 42watt 2700k= 220watts total for blooming.

WHATS GROWIN:

Now that I have just recently finished my 3rd grow, I guess that technically makes this my 4th successful grow. My idea in this grow is to grow as much EPxNL that I possibly can. I loved the smoke I got the first time around! :headbange

In my past two grows I used 32oz cups and 2liters inside my rubbermaid cabs, which worked fine, but no matter how I veg them or train them I don't seem to get the plants I am looking for. I think the slim containers contributes to that, so this time around I decided to use a container that all the plants would fit in. I can't remember seeing this setup on ICmag in the past, so in my mind it is new to me.

MY IDEA:
I took 2 kitty little boxes one a little taller than the other and am using them together as a drainage catch and large shallow pot. The larger litter box holds exactly 5 gallons of Fox Farm OF blended w/ perlite and dolomite lime. I did punch 6 drainage holes at the corners of the larger container and two centered along the edge of the longer sides. My theory is that giving my plants a wider more open grow area might simulate outside better than the 32oz cups I was using. I am hoping that all the roots will just grow in harmony. I HOPE!

GROW CONTAINERS: Fit almost perfectly in my 22 gal rubbermaids. $5 for smaller one and $9 for the larger.

So far I have 7 clones in this container. My first round of clones did not go so well I got 2 plants out of 12, which explains why 2 of my girls are really large compared to the new clones. My second round of clones got me 5 out of 12. I planted the first round of clones way to early, that is my fault I screwed this up alittle. :spank:

THE CLONER: Got from local hydro shop $3, holds 12 little plugs ($6 for 24plugs). Works pretty good.

THE MOTHER: Grown from seed and then revegged! 45-55 day bloom cycle. Fast finisher! Got the seeds from some rinkie dink seed supplier in Canada and I am happy so far! Wouldn't you be? :joint:

I plan on putting these girls into bloom in about 2 weeks or so. It all depends on how well the little clones catch up to the bigger ones that are now being trained.

I hope this works and goes extremely well, because I am going to take a break from the constant growing I have been doing for the past 15 months. I gotta move again come this summer, so I need this to be good and able to supply me through the summer months.

THank you all for stoppin and any ideas or comments are appreciated. Will be updating on a weekly basis. I will try and answer all questions.

PEACE, DRKN_MNKY420 :jump:

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
Nice looking buds, and pictures.

I can verify that narrow containers will give plants thinner main stems, and smaller canopies. I was using 2 liter bottles and switched to wider 1 gallon containers because the main stems would not support the weight of the bud. Tying up plants no longer an issue and I get more bud per plant. Maybe as much as 50% more. I can;t say no scale here.

I only question the litter pans. The roots hit bottom when the plants are seedlings and spread out. I don't know if this is a good thing for plants. It may keep the plants short. This is good if it's what you're going for. Short plants for a small enclosed area.

Do you have any information on how well plants finish out in these flat containers?

1 gallon containers are also 2-3 inches taller.

Last edited:
Hey facelift, thanks for joining me!

This is my first run with this type of container and my plants are still vegging a little. My goal is to fill those two rubbermaids together with as much as I can fit. I will definitely be snapping some stems if this gets to big. I only have about 20-24 inches of height available. I am shooting for a QP as my ideal grow. Giving me .5gram/watt. The mother plant was in a 2L and she only yeilded a half oz from seed. I was very disappointed with the quantity, but extremely satisfied with the quality.

FYI: those pics of the plants in the litter boxes where just taken a few days ago, so in about 7-8 weeks I will have a nice thread of info collected.

I encourage everyone to join me in this experiment. I will be updating w/ pics and info as I grow her up.

I also will admit that I have not used my grow cab to its full potential. Meaning I have not been able to move my plants to the very bottom of the box. In my last two runs I have always had something boosting them up close to the lights. This time I plan to grow taller, thicker, and hopefully heavier buds.

Thanks,
Drkn_Mnky420

Last edited:
G

I like those litter boxes. It looks like they will be a good fit in the tubs and use all the space. The size of the pot really affects the yield, I figure about 1 oz per gallon of soil.

I'm afraid you'll still have to boost the plants up to the lights. The plants know!!!

Hey Red, Good to see you again!

I checked out your current grow and it looks as if we are almost on the same grow schedule. Mine will finish first or second week of May if all goes well. I plan to flip to 12/12 in 10-15 days from today. Best of wishes to ya!

Red, I really hope your calculations/expections are close, because then I will hopefully get my QPer. 5 gals of soil= 4-5oz w/ 220watts.

I also got about an inch all the way around the litter boxes inside my tubs. Just enough for good air movement.

I just love walkin around Menards/Home Depot/Lowes and coming up w/ new ideas. I originally was looking for some kinda tupperware storage bin or something on those lines. Never did find one that fit and was deep enough. So the litter boxes will have to do.

I will get some more pics up soon.
Peace, DRKN_MNKY420

hey drnken munky... clean setup you got... i have a similar rubbermaid but instead of using kitty litter containers i just straight up put the soil in the bottom rubbermaid and sogged with 4 plants.. no drainage holes for me... but ive been flowering for ~30 days now and havent seen any flowers except for balls on a male that i pulled two days ago... its not the strains because 1is definitely mandala kalichakra and i shold at least see some preflowers on this... the others could all be hemp for all i know... which would really suck... but i ask you cuz ur setup is similar to mine and you got your buds to finish in 45-55 days... im also running 252 watts cfls so thats similar as well... so do you have any idea how i coud fix this to get it to start floewrin?? i dont mean to hijack your thread im just getting impatient cuz 420 is coming and i want some buds and bubble!

AidenFox

Very impressive pics love the buds and ur setup is close to mine. I'm watching, hoping i can get those kinds of results. :rasta:

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
My area is different. I have height. So 4 26-30 inch plants nets me 6-8 ounces. I say this, but I just may be getting lucky although most of my plants end up that tall and there's easily over an ounce on each.

I'll bet you can do it.

UPDATE, PROBLEMS!

UPDATE, PROBLEMS!

Ok, so now the girls are starting to come along a little better and my big girl is stretching out and filling in very nicely.

I NEED SOME HELP THOU! My oldest and largest girl is having trouble!

Something is wrong and I have not seen this problem in the past, so I am a little puzzled. The guy at my local shop said he thinks I have to low of night time temps? I don't know, he checked my ph level of my water (6-7) and the salinity level was running at 150. He said both of those reading were just fine.

First one is w/out flash and 2nd w/ flash, same leaf.

This leaf is more towards the top of the plant.
Looks like burnt leaf tips and some purplish coloring on the leaves? The leaves are also curling around downward?

I am running light nutes every other watering.
Pure blend Grow 8ml/gal feeding
Karma 10ml/gal feeding
2 drops superthrive/gal every watering/feeding
I was mixing 1tsp/gal molasses in w/ the waterings only.

Here are some pics of the girls:
The Whole Family

The two smallest clones doing well!

The three larger clones doing very well!

My oldest and biggest all branched out.

Thanks for stopping, any help w/ my troubles is appreciated!
Drkn_Mnky420

G

Looks like they are needing feeding big time. I'd say N for the overall yellowness and bottom yellowing and Mg for the leaf dieback.

I'd give them a good dose of your PB grow mixed to a moderate feeding dosage for one to two waterings and watch the tips for burn. I generally run light dosage on every watering with no problems.

The other thing can be underdeveloped roots. If you water too often or your mix holds too much water,then the roots don't develop at the same rate as the foliage and this imbalance looks like underfeeding but increasing nutes leads to burning. There are two fixes, reduce your lighting to 18/6 and wait until the soil is very dry before watering.

I was wondering if you were going to have this problem with the mix of plant sizes in the single container. I've had overwatering problems caused by watering a small plant on the same schedule as a large plant.

12/12 BEGINS!!!

12/12 BEGINS!!!

Quick Update! Don't have much time, but I did flip my lights and will be increasing the wattage and changing the daylight bulbs out for the 42watt 27k Feit brand Cfl's.

I have been trying hard to keep my temps as close to 70 or more at all times, as I have been seeing some nice new growth! Have a look for yourself!

Now the good part begins, preflowers will be showing in a couple days, as this strain is very fast flowering plant. I can't Wait! :jump:

Later, Drkn_Mnky420

DRKN_MNKY420 said:
Hello ICMag,

I have been busy lately so I have not been very active on ICmag lately. But I do want to fill everyone in on what I am up to. Same grow cab as my last two grows.

GROW AREA: 2x22gal rubbermaids, 6 cfl's, currently 4x26watt daylight bulbs and 2x42watt 2700k= 188watts.

Will eventually replace two of the 26watt daylight bulbs w/ 2 more 42watt 2700k= 220watts total for blooming.

WHATS GROWIN:

Now that I have just recently finished my 3rd grow, I guess that technically makes this my 4th successful grow. My idea in this grow is to grow as much EPxNL that I possibly can. I loved the smoke I got the first time around! :headbange

In my past two grows I used 32oz cups and 2liters inside my rubbermaid cabs, which worked fine, but no matter how I veg them or train them I don't seem to get the plants I am looking for. I think the slim containers contributes to that, so this time around I decided to use a container that all the plants would fit in. I can't remember seeing this setup on ICmag in the past, so in my mind it is new to me.

MY IDEA:
I took 2 kitty little boxes one a little taller than the other and am using them together as a drainage catch and large shallow pot. The larger litter box holds exactly 5 gallons of Fox Farm OF blended w/ perlite and dolomite lime. I did punch 6 drainage holes at the corners of the larger container and two centered along the edge of the longer sides. My theory is that giving my plants a wider more open grow area might simulate outside better than the 32oz cups I was using. I am hoping that all the roots will just grow in harmony. I HOPE!

GROW CONTAINERS: Fit almost perfectly in my 22 gal rubbermaids. $5 for smaller one and $9 for the larger.

So far I have 7 clones in this container. My first round of clones did not go so well I got 2 plants out of 12, which explains why 2 of my girls are really large compared to the new clones. My second round of clones got me 5 out of 12. I planted the first round of clones way to early, that is my fault I screwed this up alittle. :spank:

THE CLONER: Got from local hydro shop $3, holds 12 little plugs ($6 for 24plugs). Works pretty good.

THE MOTHER: Grown from seed and then revegged! 45-55 day bloom cycle. Fast finisher! Got the seeds from some rinkie dink seed supplier in Canada and I am happy so far! Wouldn't you be? :joint:

I plan on putting these girls into bloom in about 2 weeks or so. It all depends on how well the little clones catch up to the bigger ones that are now being trained.

I hope this works and goes extremely well, because I am going to take a break from the constant growing I have been doing for the past 15 months. I gotta move again come this summer, so I need this to be good and able to supply me through the summer months.

THank you all for stoppin and any ideas or comments are appreciated. Will be updating on a weekly basis. I will try and answer all questions.

PEACE, DRKN_MNKY420 :jump:
you got to love the sparkles on those buds. lovely

Pics from day 10 of 12/12!

Pics from day 10 of 12/12!

Sorry for the delay on the update, but uploading was not working.

Thanks for joining me dtoker and drifter.

I am very pleased with the pH meter I bought. The pH 600 by Milwaukee so far works great and doesn't need to be adjusted too much so far. I hope this thing lasts a while.

So I am very convinced that my troubles I was having had a lot to do with the water I was using. The pH was just too high (runoff at 7.7) and the temps were too low. I think I am doing much better with temps lately and now that I bought some pH down the girls seem to be rebounding fast.

I have not feed in 10 days, just water last two drink sessions, and I plan on giving them a light dose of bloom nutes around 15 days bloom. I think the soil has a good amount of nutes still in it and that is the reason my tips were burning. pH was so out of wack that my girls couldn't uptake all the goodies I was given them. New runoff messured at 7.0-7.1 consistantly! Still a little high, but I am much happier and they seem to be too.

I still get more dead leaves towards the bottom than I want and hopefully some day I will figure that out too. This is a look at the second smallest girl and some lower leaves off the big girl.

Have a look at this lovely preflower:

This is my smallest clone, so I guess I could call it a runt.

The trio of my healthiest clones:

A closer look at my monster in the middle!

ONLY 30-35 DAYS TO GO!!!
I can't wait, I plan on letting some grow longer than others. I want to try and find the best growing time for my setup. I will take some at 45 Days, 52 Days, and 60 Days to find what works for me.

Well gotta go watch the Tar Heels!
GO UNC!!!

tkayone

hey quick question, when did you snip the clones? during the veg? and do you keep the clones in the same box or you have a secound box for clones?
the reason im asking is cause im soon going to build a rubbermaid growbox, and i want to be able to take clones and all that but im still unsure of how it works.
can a clone be taken at any stage of the plants growth? and can it be put into 12/12 right away?
thnx in advance

I DID IT! MY GIRLS HAVE GOTTEN TALL!

I DID IT! MY GIRLS HAVE GOTTEN TALL!

Been a little busy, but I still plan to update this through the end!

I am very happy that I have now been forced to move my litter box down to the bottom of my rubbermaid. I am a little concerned about height being to tall. They are stretching a lot still.

Temps have been up and pH has been kept at 7 to 6.3 runoff. The tops of my girls are looking very healthy. The main stem is still striped purple showing some stress from before, but notice that all the new growth over the last 10 days has been nice and green.

Have a look after more than a week:

The Three girls on the side

The other two on the opposite side

So 22 days of bloom complete and about 23 more days to go before I chop some of this crop. Lookin good so far, can't wait to see how nice they will be at the end of April.

Thanks for stoppin, Drkn_Mnky420

lookin good so far man, you could add a few more CFL's or get some larger ones for the last couple weeks of bloom to increase your yields. Just as long as your maid can handle the heat.

I use two 70w HPS and 78 Watts of CFL in my maid. Only cooled with two 120mm fans

jmn2dmb

looking good, I like the set up but what lights/wattage are you running, I agree with Dr. you should up it as much as your rubbermaid can handle and maybe also trim back some of the fan leaves to shed a little more light on your clones

Hello and Thanks for stoppin by jmn2dmb, tkayone, and Doc.

FYI: I am running 220watts total, 4-42watt 27k 2-26watt 65k. I think that is going to be enough. As I am actually running out of head room for the buds. I have already supercropped a couple of the main colas because the leaves were burning.

I am confident that I am going to get the best possible results with the setup I have going on. THis is my third run in this box and I have played with a lot of variables, I am convinced that I probably cant get it any better without sticking a shit load of money into this. (i.e. more fans, hps, external ballast, cooling chamber, glass sheild.) I would love to have all the money to do all these great things, but I am just growing for me and my girl so I am happy with a few Oz every couple months.

Thanks for the tip on trimming, but I have a pile of trimmings that I have been collecting over the last week. I created 10 nice size clones which are trying to root and I have a pile of just fan leaves. She still seems a little crowded. I hope that is a good thing.

I am now starting to see a nice frost starting to form on the small fan leaves near the bud sites. I am getting real excited.

Thanks again!
Later Drkn_Mnky420

Nice looking Scrog you got there Doc. That is very impressive to here that you are using 2-70watt hps. Are you using a cooling chamber and a glass shield?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts