What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Original Haze ~Seedsman Seeds (mid 90s)

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran

Variety/Cultivar name: Original Haze

Breeder: Seedsman Seeds
Lineage if known: Haze
Vendor: purchased Holland mid 90s
Price: N/A

==================================================
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION

1. Visual Appeal: 3
Rate the visual appeal of the buds from 1-10 unappealing-excellent.
Comment: budz are small and v airey-hold them up to the light
and you can see right through them

2. Visible Trichomes:3
Rate the visible trichome content from 1-10 none-totally covered.
Comment: they are small and not well developed

3. Use an X to indicate the colors that are present in the trichome heads under magnification or list the percentages of each color for a more precise report.
Clear: 90%
Cloudy: 10%
Amber: 0%
Dark: 0%
comment-the sample is nowhere near finished

4. Mark with X the colors that are present in the buds or for a more detailed color analysis rate presence on a scale 1-9

light-dark.
Brown: dark brown pistils
Green: bud is medium/dark green
Gold:
Blue:
Grey:
White:
Red:
Rust:
Orange:
Purple:
Black:

5. Bud density: 2
Rate the bud density from 1-10 airy-dense. For samples that are not in their natural state leave this field blank.
Comment: v airey

6. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the aroma of freshly broken bud where a one indicates a subtle presence and 9 indicates a pronounced presence.

Ammonia [] Earthy [ ] Licorice [ ] Peach [ ]
Berry [] Floral [ ] Mango [7 ] Pepper []
Blueberry [ ] Fruit [ ] Lemon [ ] Meat [ ] Petroleum/Fuel [ ]
Bubblegum [ ] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine-sol [4]
Cedar [ ] Grapefruit[ ]] Menthol [] Pineapple [ ]
Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ]
Chocolate [ ] Hash [ ] Mold [ ] Skunk []
Citrus [] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [] Spice [2]
Coconut [ ] Leather [ ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry[ ]
Coffee [ ] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]

7. Aroma: 8
Rate the aroma from 1-10 repulsive-delightful. Use freshly crumbled bud for best results.
Comment: the main smell is v similar to dried mango slices-but there is another aroma (almost pine-almost plastic) that i can't describe that i have smelt on Haze crosses before.

8. Seed content: 0 unfortunatly none:(
Rate seed content from 0-10 none-fully seeded.

THE SMOKE TEST
Address these questions while smoking.
1. Please use a clean instrument for the evaluation. Enter information below that will identify the instrument as follows:metal pipe

2. Use numbers 1-9 on descriptors that apply to the taste where a one indicates a subtle presence and a nine indicates a very pronounced presence.

Ammonia [] Earthy [2] Licorice [ ]
Berry [ ] Floral [ ] Mango [ ] Pepper [ ]
Blueberry [ ] Fruit [2 ] Meat [ 5] Petroleum/fuel [ ]
Bubblegum [ ] Grape [ ] Melon [ ] Pine [ 3]
Cedar [ ] Grapefruit[ ] Menthol [ Pineapple [ ]
Cherry [ ] Grass/Hay [ ] Mint [ ] Rotten [ ]
Chocolate [ ] Hash [] Mold [ ] Skunk [ ]
Citrus [ ] Iron/Rust [ ] Musk [] Spice [1]
Coconut [ ] Leather [1 ] Nutmeg [ ] Strawberry[ ]
Coffee [ ] Lemon [ ] Orange [ ] Vanilla [ ]
i'm not good at describing taste of smoke but the main taste is a type of savoury aftertaste thats why i checked meat.

3. Taste: 5
Rate your impression of the taste from 1-10 unpleasant-delicious.
Comment: unexeptional.

4. State of dryness: 7
Rate the dryness of the bud from 1-10 wet-dry where 5 is ideal.
comment:it is a little overdry for my taste

5. smoke ability: 4
Rate the smoke ability of the sample from 1-10 harsh-smooth.
Comment: doesn't burn as readily as some bud

6. Smoke expansion: ?
Rate how the smoke expands in the lungs from 1-10 stable-explodes.
Comment: never understood this-but it is no more or less heavy than other weed to smoke

1. __[1-100hit ]__ Dosage-
Enter the number of hits taken to reach desired effects.
Comment: i've not found the ceiling. One hit is good, two doubly good, three etc etc

2. __[9]__ Effect onset
Rate how quickly the effect hit from 1-10 immediate-major creeper.
comment: nothing at all seems to happen for about 5min after a toke-then the hit comes on ferociously over the next 15-20mins

3. __[10]__ Sativa influence
Rate the sativa influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme.
Sativa influence is best described as a clear and energetic mental effect.
comment: total sat-

4. __[0]__ Indica influence
Rate the indica influence detected from 0-10 none-extreme. Indica influence is best described as a sedative, lethargic or numbing effect that affects the body.
comment-absolutly no indica stone whatsoever

5. __[8]__ Potency
Rate the potency of the sample from 0-10 none-devastating.
comment-with this weed potency is v subjective. It has a huge effect on some people-others are convinced that there is no hit to it.

6. __[long time-approx 2h]__ Duration
Indicate the duration of time that the effects lasted.

7. __[?]__ Tolerance build up
Rate how quickly tolerance builds from 0-10 none-rapid. Leave
this field blank if you have not used this sample repeatedly.

8. Usability
Rate on a scale of 1-9 where a one indicates the worst time of day to consume this strain and a nine represents the ideal time of day.
Leave field(s) blank if you have not yet formed an opinion.

Morning - wake up[9]
Day - work [3] to trippy to work
Evening - relax [2] not relaxing but fun
Night - sleep [1] v difficult

9. __[10]__ Overall satisfaction
Rate your overall satisfaction from 1-10 poor-Holy Grail.
comment:this could be the ONE

10. __[30years practice]__ Ability and conditions
Ability to judge the sample and the conditions in which it is
judged 0-10 newb-head

11.Judging from the sample alone do you personally consider this strain a keeper for long term use?

Yes [X]
No [ ]

12.Rate the noticable effects on a scale of 1-9 mild-severe.
Negative Positive
Effect Effect

__[ 2]__ __[ ]__ Appetite
__[ 2]__ __[]__ Anxiety relief
__[ 2]__ __[ ]__ Paranoia relief
__[ ]__ __[7 ]__ Sex drive
__[ 1]__ __[]__ Sleep
__[ ?]__ __[ ]__ Pain relief
__[ 1]__ __[]__ Ability to rest or sit still
__[]__ __[ 9]__ Thought process
__[ ]__ __[ 8]__ Speech process
__[ ]__ __[ 9]__ Imagination/creativity
__[ ]__ __[ 8]__ Humor perception
__[ ]__ __[ 9]__ Visual perception
__[ ]__ __[ 8]__ Audio perception
__[ ]__ __[ 6]__ Taste perception

FINAL COMMENTS:This sample was grown in 2007 by a good friend in a UK greenhouse organically in soil from seeds bought in the Dam in the mid 90s. It looks ropey and does not smell particularly notable-but this may be because it has not finished properly. Even so i find it very strong.
It is like pure adrenaline as the hit comes on-then it settles into an energetic heart racing trippy vibe-very visual-very cerebral-very euphoric. Smoke more and more and feel vibrations radiating throughout the body and the mind focuses very intently.
Some people find it makes them nervous and paranoid-lots of indica heads say they don't even get a hit off of it but, for me, it is the purest sat buzz i've yet experienced.
The downside is that indoors it will hit the ceiling if left untrained and yield about 1/2oz a plant-and it is nowhere near finishing in 20weeks.
I'm gratefull to my friend for giving me a bit now and again

cheers
eddie

damn a low yielding 20+ week strain thats crazy! most of the exotic ones that go that long can really pack on a monster sized cola.

Sounds like some great smoke, would love to try some out some day!

nice report and pics were awesome as well!

P

Psychosativa

I think haze is mainly an outdoor mild-weather strain, she's wild and difficult to tame. Maybe this is the reason why there are so many contradictory results with this strain: it's hard to reach her full potential indoors or in septentrional climates.
Anyway, I'm at the tropic and planning to grow some haze cross soon. It's gonna be a long project but I hope the results will be very rewarding.

Nice report !

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Thank you for the report Eddie! I as a devoted Haze cannaseur wanna see more reports like this..

Haze isnt impossible to do indoors, but like previous poster said it´s mainly outdoor strain with tropical/subtrobical climate. I think the ultra intence sun of tropics produce some interesting cannabinoid profiles!!! One could imitate these conditions indoors by using massmix of hps & metal halide lighting. Mh will provide necessary UV-B light to really reveal the potential in Haze!!!

I have been thinking about this Seedsman Haze line for a good while, but lines like the ACE line have stolen my attention...

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
very cool :) this is as close to the regular old haze one can get i reckon...
i want to try flying dutchman's tho, looks a lot danker.
im waiting until i can afford more then one pack tho haha

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
ethereal: if you are looking unselected haze line that has different kinds of phenotypical expression then look for Tom Hill Haze, or ACE seeds OT1´s Haze -line. These are lines that you find different color & different type of high variation.

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
thanks for the response :) :) tom's originated with TFD stock if memory serves me correctly :chin:

are ACE OT1's line? the same as tom's?

thanks again and keep up the great reporting!

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
I cannot remember where thoHaze is originated, but ACE seeds OT1´s Haze line isnt the same, but it´s much older line. You should check ACE seeds subforum and a thread there called "Oldtimers Haze"! Have a look and you can see that we are talking about way more authentic/unselected Haze line tht originates in 70´s if I remember correctly..

Here´s a link to ^that^ thread btw:
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=59801

I hope you found it helpfull :2cents:

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
thanks for the comments guys-good to have HazeHeads in the area.

i think that you're right-the strain needs an extended growing season in a canna friendly climate. I guess that a greenhouse, maybe heated as the autumn progresses, would be a way to try and get it to finish in the UK.

Herbalistic-thats encouraging about doing haze indoor. I routinely use MH and sometimes flower just using MH so maybe that could be one way foward.

I think that i've been told, or read, that the old Seedsman Original Haze was from stock that came from Sam-although i don't know the significance of that in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunatly (for me) these were the last of my friends old OriginalHaze seed stash-and he didn't take cuts from the last batch. Seedsman still do an Original Haze but its quite possible that it may not be the same thing. We do, however, have seeds from some crosses made with males from this old Haze line. I'm germing 100 Haze X Hash Plant (Sensi 90s) seeds ATM, and have a few hundred in reserve for future projects.

As for the hit-it reminds me a bit of the buzz from the 5Times (1990s NL#5xHaze-Sensi) that some locals do, but without the initial warmth and fuzzyness that comes from the NL#5-if that makes sense-i wonder if Sensi used this Haze for that cross?

cheers
eddie

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
EddieShoestring said:
Herbalistic-thats encouraging about doing haze indoor. I routinely use MH and sometimes flower just using MH so maybe that could be one way foward.

I think that i've been told, or read, that the old Seedsman Original Haze was from stock that came from Sam-although i don't know the significance of that in the grand scheme of things.

Unfortunatly (for me) these were the last of my friends old OriginalHaze seed stash-and he didn't take cuts from the last batch. Seedsman still do an Original Haze but its quite possible that it may not be the same thing. We do, however, have seeds from some crosses made with males from this old Haze line. I'm germing 100 Haze X Hash Plant (Sensi 90s) seeds ATM, and have a few hundred in reserve for future projects.

Yeah Eddie, Haze´s are very possible to do indoors, but I think they need something extra to imitate tropics if you want the most psychedelic experience out of them :2cents:

Here´s couple HAzehybrids that all take about 100 daze, or over to finish properly. These were grown under 250 W hps in a closet, so you guys/gals see it´s more than possible to grow strecthy sativas in small spaces with good success.

Neville´s Haze (Mr.Nice)

And after about 6 month cure :yummy:

Original Haze x SK#1 (Skunkmans Cultivators Choice)

B-52(?) It has the same piney/hazey undertone than the upper two have, so im confident it has haze in it´s heritage fo´real! + It took 105 daze to ripe!

Sorry for all these pics Eddie, I just wanted to make a little presentation about Hazehybrids grown indoors in small space with small lighting wattage :2cents: Just let me know if this irritate´s you and I will remove these pics, ok?

EddieShoestring

Florist
Veteran
the pics are great, Herbalistic,
that Neville's Haze looks particularly nice-v compact-i thought it would have been more stretchy than that. Looks like a reasonable yielder-

cheers
eddie

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Yeah Eddie, she is a nice yielder, but only with right training techniques! At least indoors in small space with small light... I really dont even wanna think what this strain can produce outdoors in ideal tropical climate!!

SHe stretches quite much, but isnt the most stretchiest strain I have countered!

Btw.. Here´s another of the two currently in flowermode:

EDIT: Seedsman did indeed have stock of Skunkmans beans in the 90´s. This was confirmed by Skunkman himself the other day in another thread! However, the man himself stated he doesnt have any clue is their current OH from his stock...

Last edited:

ethereal

Warrior
Veteran
i dont see a reason it would be different now? either way wow! those are some chunky colas man!
much respect from one haze lover to another :) shake it ez

brodus24

I've grown Haze and keep a mother going so I can always have some in my headstash.

Yes its stretchy. Yes it takes 100+ days to fully fruit. Yes the buds are airy.

And Yes, there's no smoke like it if you like "up" highs!

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
^^^^ WORD :yes:

On the other hand.. They have :D

And btw Eddie... Could it be possible to see more pics of those nugs, maybe some macros even?

~deadwood~

Herbalist would you mind sharing some of your training techinques that you use on these hazes?

I would love my hand at growing some out but space is my limiting factor atm and until I looked at your pics herbalist I would have never realisticly considered the idea of attempting a haze.

Thanks for the report Eddie :wave: