What's new

honey?

izzy spun

I know that most of the flavor/aroma enhancers are basically molasses and cane extracts(sweet,floral nectar,carbo-load) And I know that molasses and succanat can be used in very similar ways. I've been told that you couild even use table sugar it just wouldn't be as helpful. What I was wondering is had anyone evr used honey as a sugar/carb enhancer? Eating local honey is a good way for people to fight allergies and generally stay health, so would it help plants? Bees are hellacious little processing plants. Would the fact that the honey is animal processed be bad? Also, what about royal jelly? I jave a friend who keeps bees, and so I have access to gallons of royal jelly, so I thought I would ask. Might the flavor enhancing properties be influenced by the bees diet? Some honey is very fruitty smelling, while other honey smells like a bouquet of flowers. I might have to give it a test.

G

izzy spun said:
Some honey is very fruitty smelling, while other honey smells like a bouquet of flowers. I might have to give it a test.

LOL funny

Ya might want to test drive that handy search button near the top of the page BEFORE posting. You'd see what a crappy idea it is.

Speaking of crappy, can U say Holy Bat Shit Robin?
Bat shit is like honey to your garden.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
honey is antibacterial and antifungal, unless you have no microlife it most likely wont help and if you do it could damage the population.

izzy spun

Actually, I did test drive the search button, but only found one post relevant to this question, and it contained no answers.

Jay-thanx, I hadn't thought about the antibacterial/anti fungal properties of honey. I remember learning that roman soldiers used it as a wound pack for battle. I have not added any sort of beneficials to my system, except for a little floralicious. It appears that honey wouldn't be so good, but what about for people with root/fungus issues? Would it be helpful in that case? Thanx again

J

Jack Crevalle

Yeah, I think honey would not be the best, molasses really is only optimal to add some food for the existing bacteria, it works good with Guano, but I'd be weary of the antibacterial properties in honey, if the bacteria is actually something you want in the garden..

Ya might want to test drive that handy search button near the top of the page BEFORE posting.
I hate people who try to be condescending, FYI - many search functions on boards SUCK. If you have nothing nice to say - don't say it...

G

izzy spun said:
Actually, I did test drive the search button, but only found one post relevant to this question, and it contained no answers.

REALLY? Not one answer huh?

I search honey in soil grow category and get 3 PAGES,,, of course that's just in the soil - didn't try organic.

You sure you can do a half ass-ed search?

and jack - -aren't we suppose to be over 18 and capable of self directed study? Don't ya think maybe if peeps hit that search button once before they hit re-hashed question post for the hundredth time we might all profit from the invested time and learning?

Tell ya what- then please answer away - kindergarten types need help too.

Last edited:

izzy spun

solar-t... search for honey + hydro yields no results. search for just honey yields pages and pages of threads. I tried to read through all of them, but who has 6 hours to look through every thread that ever uses the word honey? you get threads of people talking about their "honeys", calling each other honey, etc. I actually did find ONE post referring to honey as an additive, but it contained no real in formation. So far, several people responded to this thread. You are the only one who was unhelpful, rude.

Besides that, the whole purpose of the original post was to start conversation, not be told what to do.

G

Just try it.

What have you got to lose but one plant. Do a side by side one with molasses one with honey. Honey might have antibacterial properties but so do many plants resins and they aren't purported to be beneficial bacterial killers....

Interested in the taste of final result, and the other, err, results.

J

Jack Crevalle

REALLY? Not one answer huh?

I search honey in soil grow category and get 3 PAGES,,, of course that's just in the soil - didn't try organic.

You sure you can do a half ass-ed search?

I don't find much either, sure there are 3 pages with honey, but it's honey oil, honey baby, not honey as an additive etc. Chill brah, LOL

Anyway, the bottom line is that true sweet tasting bud is achieved through genetics (berry or bubblegum, tutti frutti varieties) and well flushed herb.
I'm sure you could make bud "sweet flavored" by adding large amounts of sugar in the last few days before flushing, but IMO, that alters the flavors of the herb. I've used that product "Sweet" in high amounts in Sour Diesel (everyone and their mom now grows and sells Sour Diesel in Cali ergh...) towards the end and got a different tasting bud, but IMHO, it was not as good as the previous crop without it. The diesel flavor was subdued and a sweeter taste was present instead, no real gain as diesel to me is supposed to be more of a sour bitter flavor, nothing sweet about it...

I use molasses in organic soil so that the bacteria and fungi have some extra carbs and stuff to eat, in conjunction with worm castings, maybe guano as well in veg, but not to add any sweet flavors...

Last edited:

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My main use for honey is to apply to recently cut areas that I take clones from. I have found that they heal much quicker as compared to using nothing at all.

Oh and by the way this is my forum and ANY AND ALL questions are welcome unless its about BORON lol.

Mr.Wags

Last edited:
G

If you search the whole forum - yeah that brings up gallery, smoke reports and the lounge.

I start my search in the Grow section and drop down to organics, soil, hydro, grow room design or even infirmerary. Keeps most the responses related to what your looking for. Prolly the best knowlege base availble since OG

Jack says it pretty well actually, newb growers might think it sounds right - but those that harvest regurarly know what bat crap and fish/seaweed juice can do. But little help for hydro.

Save the honey for english muffins.

Never thought about honey on the wounds from cutting/trimming. interesting!

I've heard it's a decent rooting compound - as is seaweed juice, for it's natural growth hormones

Now STUMP REMOVER,,,,,,,,, is better used on velvet.

Last edited:
G

Dude I grow with fishes shit. You are getting flak about suggesting honey.

One two hour lecture on the benefits of fishes shit and all my honeys be gone!

You want to sweeten your buds cheap? Golden Syrup, or Maple syrup. Put a teaspoon per 10 gallons in your top up water and bubble it in so it's mixed well. A (virtually)tasteless strain of mine smells sweet and tastes sweet from this. The potency is NOT affected.

Nice tip on healing cuts Suby! I cut and pray for non humid days....

izzy spun

Thanx for all of the responses. Solar-T, I probably should have done my search from within specific areas. Might have made for a more specific responses. My bad. Honey for cut wounds? Awesome! That's something else I'd never thought of... I wasn't really looking for a cheap way to sweeten my buds, I was more interested in the differences/similarities to molasses. I'd alsdo like to see how it works as a rooting compound... Thanx again everyone...

Cranberry

honey makes a great rooting compound, then after your done you can have the honey with a biscuit or maybe a cup of tea. What would you do with your honey?

CB

I

icon

i use nothing but honey ive ryed maple syrup too but preffer the honey i like doing things a bit differet from everyone else honey is also non-refined ive never tryed mollases maybe someday.

jaykush honey not anti when diluted, that is backed up by the fact some mushroom growers use it to make liquid cultures from.

honey only has the antimicrobial property's due to concentration, if you dilute like ya would have to anyways, there should be no anti property's to the honey IMO.

Last edited: