What's new

Olive Oil Questions

throatgorge

I saw a thingie where these dudes were putting bud flour in olive oil and blending it "to release the psychoactive compounds."
Is this feasable, or does one have to heat it to activate the cannibanoids?
I sort of envision a liquid ingestion method where someone could theoretically pound a shot of olive oil, wait an hour or so, and then be quite stoned without having to damage their lungs because theoretically someone is maybe sick to death of coughing their guts out every time they want to get high.
Also, this was bud flower, and suppose someone has access to a large quantity of leaf? How much leaf would one have to use to equal the ratio of bud flour given-- 28 grams flour/ 28 fluid ounces of olive oil?
So many questions for this theoretical goal!
Is this goal of having a nice shot of oil even realistic, or does one have to cook a batch of cookies/brownies, etc.,?
SWIM used to extract in alcohol for a similar shot, but this took weeks to prepare and was inconsistant in results. Now favors oil-- which has previously done with heating, but this thingie I saw seemed like it was active without having to be heated and likely has a different cannibanoid profile than heated stuff.
Any ideas? Comments? Experience?
Or should this just be left to experimentation?

Last edited:
I have never used oil, but I have experience with tinctures and cookies. I imagine it would have to be heated at a low temperature. Probably less than 300 degrees. A candy thermometer would help. I find I need 3 times more leaf than bud, as a rough estimate. A shot of oil could very well do it!

Experimentation is half the fun. Every batch would probably have a different potency.

throatgorge

Oh goodie! I have a candy thermometer! Never got to use it. Also have about $200 worth of lab glass I never used...
Thanks, Luther!

G

I make super salad dressing all the time with olive oil as well as bake brownies.

Basically THC and Canabinoids are oil based and need to be heated to be activated to become fully potent.

Budder is made by boiling butter+water together. The water ensures the temperature doesn't exceed 212F or 100C and keeps high temps from breaking down the THC.

Oil for cooking can be made the same way by adding equal amounts of water and oil together and slowly simmering off most but not all of the water.

Salad oil is made with olive oil in a double boiler or using a container that can be filled and placed in boiling water. Several hours at boiling temps ensures a good extraction.

I like just taking a tsp and spreading it on some toasted bread and covering with salsa. Just like smoking a joint or eating a brownie.

1 oz of finely ground trim (1/8 cup) =
1/8 oz wt of sweetleaf trim (smokeable trim) =
3 g Sensimilla Bud

I use 1oz of trim with 1/4 cup oil for brownies and salad dressing. You can always cut the salad dressing with more oil if it is too strong.

Last edited:

throatgorge

Mmmm salad is the best!
Here's a question-- let's say, for the sake of argument, that I put 24 grams of leaf through a coffee grinder, put it in a blender with 8 oz olive oil, then heated it to nearly 300 degrees, taking it down, and lighting the burner to get it there once more (about twenty minutes). Lets say 2 teaspoons of the oil works wonderfully... BUT only one teaspoon of pan scrapings did the job nicely... (and here's the actual question) why are the pan scrapings stronger than the oil? Did I not heat it long enough? Oh yeah, I did an old Kava Kava trick to emulsify the shizit-- I added soy lecetin in the blending process.
Any suggestions as to how to get the best extraction out of this? There's two big as bags of leaf left! Sweet leaf!

Papulz

lover of all things hashlike
Veteran
alcohol preparations are a focus of mine, they needn't take more than maybe an hour of passive prep time to make. also, heat while helpful is not a necessary measure. This depends on what medium your using/oil/alcohol/etc because of how long an unheated extraction will take. Regardless, heating changes the molecule through a process known as decarboxylation.. this makes the chemical more easily digestable for you as basically whats happening when you heat it is the work of your liver "the decarboxylation" is already done for it. this ends up meaning that people who have trouble ingesting raw cannabis or cannabis materials can solve the problem of partial uptake or indigestion.

note : exposing the molecule to long term high heat degrades it rather rapidly. 300 is pretty hot but just under the threshold of beginning to vaporizing the goodies. i usually heat mine to about 200 or so degrees fahrenheit... and do so for no more than about half an hour. i fear the creation of degradation products. cbd or cbn cant remember

Last edited:
G

I think 300F is too high to extract at. I've noticed that cooking oil taken plain has a much higher buzz than when baked with. I'm sure the 350F temps degrade the THC.

To get a good extraction, just use a double boiler. Boiling water can't be hotter than 212F and still be water so you don't even need a thermometer.

farmerzek

Personal experiance

Personal experiance

Four years ago or so, I found preparation method on OG that intrigued me enough to try. If you want I can try to find the original article in my files but I didn't follow it to the letter anyway (probably my first mistake). Basically, I used a slow cooker on the lowest temperature setting, added a half cup of olive oil, (either the original document did not specify the type of oil, or I decided to sub in a healthier oil, definately my first mistake) added a large zip-lock bag of very crystally close trim, stirred stirred and stirred. I read that if the solids were cut small it would spead up the process so, I uses a little hand whizzer to chop and blend the green and the oil, definately second mistake, it formed a paste that I thought was to thick so I added more olive oil. I uses a thermometer to monitor the temp, and let it sit there de-carboxylising for about an hour, then let it cool. I then strained the green mess through a coffee filter and ended up with some foul smelling, very dark olive oil. The recipe called for filling gel tabs with the active oil and swallowing one or two like vitamines for long time effect. Well the health food store (source of these gel tabs) was too far, so I jarred them in mason jars thinking I could take it by the teaspoon, it can't be worse than the cod liver oil my mom gave me as a child (this was my third mistake). So I bravely (read insanely) filled a tablespoon and quickly swallowed it. It was horrid !!!! It made cod liver oil taste like a banana split! Oh way worse than 3 day old skunk road kill . But it worked. 2 hours later I was a little buzzed for several hours. The next day off I tried again but this time my body sorta refused. As soon as I opened the jar, I dry heaved. Once my stomach settled, I plugged my nose with those foam ear plugs and fetched my tablespoon. As a 240 lb guy my dosage was 2 tablespoons for a 4 hr stone (delayed by 2 hrs.) 3 tablespoons put me in a fetal position for a few hours (not pleasant).

Tropical

Leaf

You have lots of leaves. I probably have more experience than anybody else when it comes to getting high eating products made from leaves. I'm a smoke-free stoner and it is a lot easier to harvest lots of leaves than buds.

First of all, you have to consume lots of leaves to get very stoned. It would taste nasty if you just grind it and blend it with oil. It tastes bad enough with bud, but you eat several times more leaf to get the same high. You have to boil the stuff anyway to get improve the taste, so don't even bother asking whether the heat is necessary for potency.

So, you boil the leaves in water with butter. Most of the nasty taste goes in the water. Stain out and discard the leaves. Chill the liquid so the butter floats to the top and is easy to skim it off and discard the water.

I tried using olive oil, but that was very hard to seperate. I ended up wasting most of it because it was so mixed with the water. I even tried freezing it, hoping the olive oil would float to the top and be soft enough to scrape off of the hard ice. The whole thing was mixed up and solid.

I use a lot of fan leaves per pound of butter. If the leaves are male or taken during veg, then I think I used a couple pounds of leaves for each pound of butter and I ended up only needing to eat about two grams of butter to get stoned. Two grams is only around 18 calories. It's nothing. You could use more leaf per pound of butter to reduce the saturated fat and calories, but then you have to be very careful when you weigh out your dose.

EDIT: Actually, I meant to say that I use a pound of leaf for every two pounds of butter.

Last edited:
G

I find making butter is just too messy. The butter and water don't separate that well and the butter is wet and slimy.

When I make salad oil, I don't want it contaminated with water so I use a double boiler and strain out the leaves. Cooking oil for brownies calls for water and oil in the recipe so I boil them together and plant material is left in for extra fibre.

My leaf and bud used for cooking is dried and cured and ground to a fine powder with a coffee grinder.

Hope that helps!

Tropical

Red_Greenery said:
...When I make salad oil, I don't want it contaminated with water so I use a double boiler and strain out the leaves. Cooking oil for brownies calls for water and oil in the recipe so I boil them together and plant material is left in for extra fibre...

Yeah, I also would use that method with trim. Buds are even easier. I just grind them up and bake them right into the cookies. No extraction needed. But, you haven't tried that method with just males and/or vegging plants, have you? That would taste really nasty. It would make you puke just to smell it.

Red_Greenery said:
I find making butter is just too messy. The butter and water don't separate that well and the butter is wet and slimy.

It separates when you chill it. If there are some little pieces still floating in the water after I pull out the big chunk, I just use a hand held strainer to scoop them up. As far as the wet and slimy problem, that's easy too. I just pat the butter with a paper towel and it drys nicely. If you have a lot of little bits that you scooped out of the water, you can reheat it in a double boiler and then it will make one nice big chunk when you chill it.

It sounds like a lot of work, but I usually cook up at least a pound of leaf at a time. So, I put in a couple hours, then I can stay stoned for months. It's easier than cleaning a pipe or rolling a hundred joints.

Last edited:

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
I made some quiso once, and while it was still warm & gooey, I blended in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil...I took one teaspoon of the stuff & after about 25-30 minutes, it kicked in hard and I was pretty high for 2 hrs or so...try it..I think your body processes the oil quicker than other foods so it hits quicker...and harder..only time Ive gotten super high off eatin ganja!!!Just my experience...Peace

- Z

SCF

Bong Smoking News Hound
Veteran
olive oil is great, it seems to really hold the cannabis compounds within the fat/ oil. Great stuff what you can do with marijuana.

Latest posts

Latest posts