What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hindu Skunk Coco SOG

hurricane

Greetings everyone. I've done the dirty work, and after almost a year of purchasing herb I've got a grow setup again :) I have grown before, about 4 rounds in an 800W side by side C24 setup. Always grew in coco with PBP, LK, and CalMag+, so I'm sticking with that same combination this time. Main difference is before i was running 6 plants under 400W with several weeks of veg and partial scrogging. This time i have square garden, running 16 plants in a 3x3 SOG style with what i hope to be one week of veg. This time I'm also running a recirculating setup, previously was hand watered.

For the genetics, i picked up Hindu Skunk clones from the blue sky coffee shop in Oakland. Here is the shops description.

21745SW5_1.JPG

Supposed to have a good stretch to it so if i flower at 10" or so they should still grow large. Perhaps too large i honestly don't know.

Yesterday was day 1 of veg, after i planted them in the coco. Heres the pic right after planting.

36660DSCN2872.JPG

Temps just outside the 3x3 tray(intake air, basically) has been 68-75. Sensor sitting at soil level under the bulb registers avg 2 degrees hotter, 6 if i turn it over to put the sensor in the light. This plants themselves are 18" from a 400W CMH lamp in a daystar AC 6" hood. I've opted to leave the glass off, with a stanley blower running the main intake to the hood, the motor side of the intake to about 10" below the top to get any hot air in the top of the hut.

Plants are currently drip feeding every 6hours in a recirculating setup. Currently takes just under 2 minutes to start draining and the timer runs for 3 so i get 50% runoff, but 2 minutes isn't an option. The res is at EC 0.9 i believe. I have an HM TDS3 and it reads 460ppm. It has a conversion factor of 0.5, someone please let me know if i got that EC part right :) Before i realized the tds->ec conversion the plants got fed at 900(EC1.8) 2 times, saw some slight curl, added ro to bring nutes back to .9 and continued normal feeding schedule. They seem doing better now ~24 hours later.

For more background on the buildup, flushing, and what I've done up to this point check my original thread. Decided to do the full grow log here as it seems the more appropriate place.

Also heres a shot of what i've grown before. These are some BlueDot clones from LPC in Hayward at 51 days.

36660dscn2795.jpg

Hurricane

Edit: added temps/construction/current nutes info

Last edited:
B

Bigtimer7

WOW~!! That looks awesome man.. I love the setup and love it all. I wish i could get my hands on that purple kush that looks AMAZING! Anyways good job man and I love the setup.. Good luck my man!!!~

hurricane

Greeting, update for 3rd day of veg. Nothing huge happening yet but i think i can see some growth between the picture when they were planted, and the new day 3 pic. ph keeps rising, brought it down from 6.3 to 5.8 this morning. It will likely be back at 5.9 or even 6 by the time the next feed cycle hits. EC also seems to be rising a little, this has me worried. from about .9 before to approaching 1.0 now. Not planing to do anything about it unless it crests 1.0 though.

Well, this is my picture for now:

36660veg_day_3.jpg

@Bigtimer7
Thanks for stopping by! I think the setup looks good, but don't know how it will perform. Only time will tell :) As for the purple kush, it looks pretty but at half the harvest weight I'm really not to interested in specialty purple herbs. For reference check this post from Neptune. He grew the HS and the PK side by side. I definatly like the way the HS side looks :)
9807tables25d.JPG

Hurricane

Edit: picture uploading works again, yea! :)

Last edited:

hurricane

Heres another pic from Neptune, the PK and HS on harvest day. Gotta say i think that HS looks amazing :) He was also using coco, with just PBP and calmag, although multiple 600W instead of my small one :) Anyone interested in growing medical strains from the bay area, or just how to successfully grow in coco check out his grow thread Neptunes Breakdown.

9807harvest2.JPG

edit:
Actually, i just filtered and read through the whole thread, and am going to make some modifications to this grow to be similar to his. Obviously i'm running the plants alot closer and doing 400W, but thats something to think about next run.

At the moment i'm going to turn the watering timer off, and wait till the pots start to get light, for about 2 rounds(guessing cpl days each?) then feed once per day 15min before lights on. Will probably make the switch to 12/12 by the time they get to a feed per day as well.

In addition i'm going to follow his nutrient guidelines of 10ml/G pbpb and 2-3ml/g calmag+ all the way through. I'm using pbpsb(soil) as oposed to his regular hydro bloom, but many others have used the pbpsb successfully(me included). I'll be dumping my res and resetting with ec 0.8 of calmag+ and pbpsb before they get their next watering. I think neptune simply ran 10ml/g + 3ml/g start to finish(clone to end of flower, dont know what that mix ends up as on EC) but i dont know, so i'm going to start low.

I'm curious if i should flush them clean before i feed them the reset res, as i accidently fed them too much previously, and its a completely different mix. Any suggestions, or other pointers always apreciated

Hurricane

Last edited:

hurricane

Greeting again, good news! Today for the first time i was bending a couple of the pots, checking for roots and a good number of the pots are showing roots poping out the sides of the pot. Always a good sign.

Heres the pics for day 5, i'm not sure if they will be ready to flip by day 7, maybee i'll go for 9. Plants are currently 5.5"-7" tall. Watering timer is still off, been about 36 hours since feed, pots still seem fairly heavy. Maybee i'll only give them one round of drying out as its purpose is to get root growth, and my roots seem to be going for the edges. I also lowered the light, as of day 5 they are now approx 15" from the CMH, from 18" previously.

36660ADSCN2893.JPG

36660DSCN2896.JPG

Hurricane

Last edited:
B

Bigtimer7

Hurricane~ it looks great man! I love the pics and the plants look wonderful. I do think your right about the HS performing better than the PK but still its gunna be awesome to have some really good smoke! Im sure both will be great. I cant wait to see how this goes!
~Also remeber the CMH causes tight nodes so thats why your not getting the huge stretch. Thats going to be true in flower to. I got a CMH and HpS side by side on a topped plant and its unbelievable how the CMH keeps it tight and the Hps makes it stretch.
~Anyways great job man and I cant wait to see this through!! Keep it green buddy!

N

Neptune

just found your thread man, thanks for the good words! Flip those Hindu's by day 10 veg, in not before. And don't water again until they dry out much much more.. they should be treated like soil pots for the first week or three.. let em dry out so they are lightweight to lift. Looks great man, prune the bottom 1/3 at day 14 bloom and watch the magic...

really an excellent strain!

hurricane

Hello, another update at day 7 now, and the plants are looking better and better. Still haven't watered them, the tops of the pots nearest my fans are starting to dry out, the center pots are still completely moist on top. Perhaps they will be ready for water by lights on tomorrow. I'm also getting that itch to flip 12/12, but i'd really like some of these ladies to get to 8" first.

Mixed up the new res, just a small one with 6G RO water, 55ml pbpsb, 11ml calmag+. TDS is sitting right at 0.8. Havn't checked the pH yet but will worry about that before i feed them of course. It tends to drift anyways so i don't wanna add unneeded acid atm.

To see the difference heres the day 3 shot again
36660veg_day_3.jpg

and then the day 7
36660ADSCN2905.JPG

Heres also a pic of one of my tallest ladies, still not 8"
36660DSCN2912.JPG

And another one just because :joint:
36660DSCN29111.JPG

@BigTimer7
I'm noticing the tightness of the CMH. While theres not a lot of vertical growth, theres more nodes popping up. Would love to see pics of your side by side. Hoping this grow is mostly alot of kickin back, watchin the green grow :joint:

@Neptune
Thanks for stopping by. I will make sure to flip by 10, even if they still seem short. They aren't looking ready yet to me, but I've seen some real improvement over the last couple days I'm sure it wont take long. Seeing how long these pots take to dry out I'm probably going to give them the first week of flower before getting into the daily feedings.
And to pruning I've never done it before, but with the SOG theres no option, it must be done. Do you think i should try and prune them into single colas(looking for half oz+ per plant) or just prune back the extra branching on the secondary branches? Suppose maybe its a question better asked with pictures once i get that far.

Hurricane

Last edited:

hurricane

Greetings! Been a few days been busy, but the girls are looking great. My trigger finger got itchy, the girls never got an 8th day of 20/4, They are about to start the 5th day of flower in a few hours. Fed them once so far, they drank about 7 gallons in one feeding so that kinda surprised me, but the res is 35G I just have to make sure to fill it up all the way and it'll last.

During that watering i also noticed not all my drippers were feeding the same, with the worst offenders being right next to the bend in the thick feed hose, so i replaced that with a T and placed the drippers in new hose, hoping this will be the last time i need to change that.

I'm also thinking a bigger light would be beneficial in this size space, or maybee just a more effective hood. All the plants on the edge seem to be leaning in towards the light. Anyways on to the pics.

Heres the overall pic from yesterday, Flower day 4
36660ADSCN2937.JPG

And heres the same girl i had the tape measure to the other day, shes growing up a bit, and has broke 8 inches.
36660DSCN2938.JPG

Hurricane

jdubz206

nice grow!!! what size containers are those and do you plan on flowering in these containers as well? i'm about to start a SOG as well (1st timer) and i'm still unsure about what containers to use.

hurricane

Greetings

@jdubz206
This is my first sog, so no clue if these pots are what i need or not. These are their final containers, i don't transplant much just put rooted clone to final container. These pots are called 2 gallon perfect pots(well 14 of them are perfect pots, i have 2 taller skinnier ones that also hold 2G). They are roughly 9" square at the top, 8" square at the bottom. I like them simply because I've been told more roots = more herb, and with these pots in the 3'x3' tray i have roughly 32gallons of coco mix to grow roots in. Essentially i was just trying to maximize possible root space, and these pots filled my tray perfectly. The downside is i think these pots were 3.50 or 4 each from the hydro store.

@TheOneWill
The reservoir was labeled 35G, I've yet to fill it up very full though. Once the plants get settled in i will probably mix larger reservoirs, but lately I've only been mixing 6-12G as they've not been feeding too often. They are getting bigger now though so water uptake should increase, and watering frequency.

And heres the update pictures, these are from Flower Day 7
36660ADSCN2950.JPG

Also heres the two ladies I'm keeping regular pictures of
36660DSCN2951.JPG

36660DSCN2954.JPG

Hurricane

Last edited:

GHETTO_grower

holy crap!!!!!! :bow: nice setup there ......so effecient
and all the lovely cooltubes etc....... :puppydoge amazing
well put together ......healthy plants too will allways watch this setup :lurk:

G

guest5703

bookmarked ;) Are those 6 inch squares perhaps you already mentioned? Good shit, PEACE

hurricane

caligreen said:
bookmarked ;) Are those 6 inch squares perhaps you already mentioned? Good shit, PEACE

These pots are called "2 gallon perfect pots." I posted they were 9", actualy they come up as 8.5"x8.5"x7.5". They have 4 round drain holes in the bottom, fairly flexible. I read somewhere they are made from recycled plastic in humboldt county. The same description shows up for these pots on different websites, so i'm guessing this here is the company's spiel apot these pots:

Simplicity is key when designing a pot for all growers. The Perfect Pot is durable and flexible, designed for use with large plants, for soil and hydro growers alike. This pot will allow growers to pack a maximum number of plants per tray, without over-crowding, leaving enough room to grow large, bushy plants with lush root systems. The Perfect Pot was designed to fit perfectly in trays of all sizes, from 13” x 40” up to 4’ x 8’.

Thanks for the good words

Hurricane

Last edited:

hurricane

Update Flower Day 10!

Girls are getting bigger by the day, and they are forcing me to raise the light every day too. A few leaves have taken on some brown edges, nutrient burn from my screwup before, it seems. For more info check my thread in the Cannabis Infirmiry.

Was going to water today, but the pots feel like they need longer. In prep for watering tomorow i pushed the res EC down with ro water to EC.85(bcuz of the burning), then adjusted the res up to pH 5.9.

Anyways heres the pics, i think its pretty obvious how much taller they've gotten, about 14" on the tallest.

36660AIMG_8273.JPG

And heres a couple of the ladies
36660IMG_8277.JPG

36660IMG_8276.JPG

Hurricane

G

guest5703

Sweet grow man. What strain is that??

lol, Hurricane I'll go ahead and answer this one for you so you don't have to waste time ;)

He is growing hindu skunk from the blue sky club in oaksterdam bro!!!! It says in his title for future reference ;)

Thanks for the info on the pots, PEACE

Closet Trics

Yo hurricane nice setup bro. Just wanted to drop in and ask a little question about your recirculating drip feed you got going there.

i've experimented with the drip setup but i didn't have a way to control the runoff without flooding the place so ....

When you feed and water runs off from the bottom of the pots does it just fall back in the rez under the plants or does it drain by tubes like an ebb and flow setup might drain?
also does the runoff from the plants effect the nute solution like maybe change the ph or something to that sort. ??

peace man
CT