What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another NGB.....with cool tube

DiscoDuck

Just got a new box for my grows. My old box was a heat magnet and I decided to throw it in the creek.

Here's what I started with...

http://www.storage-cabinets-online.com/base-storage-cabinet-2d.htm

Before I started putting things together, I drilled passive intakes into the bottom panel.

I didn't realize the cabinet I bought doesn't have a back panel. I had to make one out of masonite. Here's the back panel showing the fan exhaust hole with some screen to help keep critters out.

Here's a front view minus the doors, showing the utility shelf. I made the vertical divider out of the adjustable shelf that came with the cabinet.

I used a hole cutter (damn thing is dangerous as Hell!) for the cool tube. I drilled the hole half way through one side and one half on the other to keep the MDF from chipping.

Air flow will enter the cabinet at the bottom. The front will have a kick panel to hide light. I'll put the box over an air conditioning register in the hot months for a little climate control.

I bought a "bake a round" pyrex bread tube from ebay. With a pair of tin snips I cut a strip of steel roofing about 5/16" wide and 2 feet long. Then I drilled screw holes for the socket.

Next I slid the bulb, socket and spring clip (sheet metal strip) into the tube. After centering the bulb in the tube I bent the ends of the spring clip over the end of the tube.

A radiator clamp would work perfect to hold the spring clip snug against the tube. I got around using the clamp by drilling a 3.75" hole in the divider panel of the cabinet. The hole works just like a clamp, holding the tube and spring clip tight.

Here's what the utility room looks like so far:

I still have a few loose ends to tie up like painting the dark panels white and weather stripping the cracks. Here's a few more shots with the box in operation. Thanks for looking and have a good one!

Last edited:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Very nice. I love the NGB style cabs.

Could we have a shot of the tubes reflector? If you have access to Photoshop, Elements, GIMP or similar could you run Levels (sometimes called Histogram) on the shot where you're holding up the tube. Don't mean to be a photo nazi, I'm just nosey and am fascinated with how people work out their designs.

Just take the middle button and run it towards black. No, it won't win your photo any awards but note below how details in the blankets, wires in shadow, the shelf unit all become visible as we move the middle arrow towards black

DiscoDuck

freezerboy, the reflector is from a security light, not very good. it's just laying on the tube right now. I need to get an internal reflector with the extensions but I can't find anybody who sells 'em.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
dont bother getting an internal reflector, just get some cheet metl and bend a nice shape to go over it with a bracket you can fashion.... A single pice large reflectopr will work better than a little internal one and those add on external bits.... Ive had an idea to do something similar, but making a big bolt on adjusta-wing type reflector for a shop bought cool tube to use in a stadium SCROG

DiscoDuck

thanks irishSoCo, it is, long on little.

thanks for the tip Harry Gypsna. I took the cheap ass reflector off all together. I'm getting interested in stadium set-ups. I may try this but I grow bag seed and I don't usually know the strain variations such as stretch. Can you imagine a stadium of pee wee plants filling up the space? That's sick as hell. "Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the micro bowl."

DiscoDuck

here's a shot with the reflective panels painted white and the utility room painted black. weather stripping added to doors.

jcdem

where can you find cabs like that? my local home depot had one wood cabinet, and it was too shallow.

Last edited:

DiscoDuck

phr3d0m2gr0, the outside dimensions are 36"(h) x 32"(w) x 23"(d). The inside footprint is about 15"(w) x 23"(d) for each room. With a 150w hps bulb in the flower room I get about 60w per square foot.

jcdem, I picked it up from www.storagecabinetsonline.com. It's pricey at $192.00 including shipping but it's heavier duty than some of those cheaper cabs. The cab didn't have a back panel so I had to make one.

thanks for the rep JohnnyToke!

Last edited:

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
Nice cab, and bud. I thought about a cool tube and have no idea why i didn't do it. you make it look very easy.