What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A cheap hydro cloner

Flowerman

I was looking at hydro & aero cloners today and was shocked @ their prices. But the ones you buy do look kewl, and work well and I would actually buy them if I didn’t like to build or make my own stuff, but I enjoy doing it, and it’s way cheaper.
To start this off:
I simply went to walmart, got this nice plastic container, with a nice easy lock lid, push the button, and you can lift the lid very easily. I used a ¼” drill bit, marked them and made my holes. I think the next time I do this, I will use a ½” drill bit, and get some rubber grommets and insert them. I find the plastic has little shreds, which can snag the roots, so file them off, and make the edges of the hole smooth. This container holds 35 cuttings, and when I begin to root my clones, I fill the container till about a ½ from the top, so the stems can dangle in the water to begin with. When the roots take off, the water level can drop some. I also use a cloning solution mixed in the water, I use about 3 cap fulls, or 1 cap per gallon. It speeds things up some. You can use almost any type of air stone, I personally prefer the small oval ones. At the very back of the top, I have two holes just for the airline to go in. Buy a nice quiet air pump that they use for fish tanks(I prefer the double lines myself). Also I took black n gray electrical tape and wrapped the container, this prevents light from entering, and keeps fungus from starting, and also so the roots don’t get shocked, as they don’t like lights. Some people think they should use black air tubing, so the tubing doesn’t act as a fiber optic, carrying light into the container. Well I’ve never had a problem using the clear, but if you want to spend a few extra pennies, you can. Simply turn on the air pump, insert your cuttings, and within 14 days you’ll have a nice group of cuttings ready to go. Sometimes it takes less, but it depends on the strain. All of this for under $25. Duct tape, or electrical tape can be bought anywhere, I usually pick up a role for a $1 in the US at local Dollar stores, the same can be had for containers, but I prefer this type of lid, because it doesn’t rattle the cuttings at all.
The first pic is of the whole thing, the next two shots are of some cuttings I had going. The 4th pic is of the some roots, at the time I think I had only like 6 cuttings going, and it was around the 7th day of being in there. The last pic is of the cloning solution I use. It’s a pretty simple, practical, affordable, hands off cloner to use.If you're too cheap to buy cloning solution, this works great as well.

Cut some willow branches (All willow species produce this natural rooting hormone), into 2" or 4" long pieces (enough pieces to fill a bowl).
Put the willow cuttings into a big kettle (or pot) on the stove, fill with water (all cuttings should be are covered by water). Turn on minimum heat setting, cover with a lid, and leave on low (but do not boil) for 2 hours. Then turn off heat and leave kettle covered for 12 hours.
After the mixture has cooled for 12 hours, the water should be a dark brown. Strain out the water, and discard the branches. Pour the mixture into a container with a plastic top with holes pre-made, and just drop your cuttings in. Let the clones sit in the hormone for 12 to 24 hours (thus allowing the cuttings to fully absorb the rooting hormones), then plant into your medium. Use as much rooting hormone as you require, then discard the used portion. The unused hormone can be stored in the ice box for years
555hydrocloner_2.jpg

555clonetops.jpg

555clones35.JPG

555Rootsstarting.jpg

555cloninsolutiona.jpg

Last edited:

mpd

Lammen Gorthaur
Veteran
Larger, but better than mine. Mine ended up costing $14 for a 14 site cloner.

The hinged lid makes this design the one to keep!:cool:

Flowerman

ezozo, nope, it gets all the moisture it needs from the water, anothr reason why I love this way better than I do doing cubes. Also they don't need much light, as long as they are getting more than 18 hours of indirect light, but I always keep my at 24/7 for cuttings. But all they need for this stage if you have a seperate area, is a 25w fluorescent compact or tube light above them. Or sometimes I'll just slap them in the veg room, on the other side of the room from where the lights are, they still get 18 to 24 hours of light, but it's not right up on them.

Last edited:

Flowerman

I should also note, sometimes I find the leafs too big/long, and then they can take too long to root(It's an eye thing, you just can tell), so I simply cut the fingers of the leafs about 1/4 to half way down.

Grizzer

I KNOW THIS IS OLD THREAD, BUT THANKS MAN.. IM GONNA GET RIGHT ON IT!
I thought bout the cooler idea too. Ihave several just sitting around that dont get used, hmmm so many projects! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!
STAY HIGH!!
PEACE!!

Grizzer

High
I went and made my own bubble cloner, i stuck 5 wreck clones in it as a test run. Heres a couple pics. I hope it works well :muahaha:

Shady Smoka

How are you planning on getting the roots out of a 1/4" hole? I made a top outta foil so I can just rip the hole bigger when the time comes. This is my first try at cloning.

G

Shady Smoka said:
How are you planning on getting the roots out of a 1/4" hole? I made a top outta foil so I can just rip the hole bigger when the time comes. This is my first try at cloning.

You are establishing roots, not growing in the cloner. When the roots appear the cuttings are easily removed and placed in the final medium that you have chosen for growth.

TyStik

J

JackTheGrower

First result in a Google Search for Hydro Cloner.

This just requires plain water?

Would a humidity dome be a bad or good thing?

I never work with water growing so I don't know and naturally this is an old thread but anyone?

Is there an advantage to this type of cloning?

Thanks

kingofchronic

First result in a Google Search for Hydro Cloner.

Would a humidity dome be a bad or good thing?

i was wondering the same thing. i like the idea of DWC cloning and would love to give it a try in the near future. but would the dome work? i usually use a tray, heating pad, dome, and KLN

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i've used dome, soil, vermiculite, dwc, aero ect... you name it i did it lol

the easiest for me is the tray + rabbit rooters + dome , i can set them up, spray once a day with aqua and forget about it, no pumps no air no mass water ... 99.9 % roots after 10 days.

i get roots in 4 days with aero ..
anything will work, at least for me, i can take a cut, put in a cup with water and a week or 2 later it will have roots :)

cheers,