What's new

Carbon VS. Silica gel kitty litter

chosen

Veteran
I'm curious about that too. I've heard of people refilling their carbon scrubbers with litter.

gr0wb0i

I'm using a 4ft kitty litter scrubber. I never used carbon but I can say that my wife HATES the smell of MJ. No complaints from her and they only thing I can tell you is my grow room smells like when you first pour fresh kitty litter into your cats box. Almost a fresh but yet chemically smell.

chimei

I tried those gel bead things I think they called them crystals a couple years ago, went back to active carbon. I think it was called fresh something cat litter I can't recall now.

Had to much of an odor to it for me. I did not want to replace one smell with another..

Active carbon has NO odor. So it is really easy to tell when it is getting less efective after a year or so. One day you walk in, and the room your venting into has a very slight odor instead of none.

Last edited:

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
I built a carbon scrubber and filled it with fish tank carbon. Seemed to work really well but my mom came over and asked what the skunky smell was. What could I have done wrong? No air leaks in the scrubber - all solid carbon. Just about 15lbs worth.

H

hedpi

dunno spaced.. try showing a pic of your scrubber..maybe you have leaves ,or maybe it's coming out from the intake. you either have passive intake+negative pressure, or intake fans without leaks.

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
I have a little hoard of kitties in my house so I'm listening to this crystal thing. Pharma - Do you push or pull through the stuff? What brand do you use?

I'll have to put a finer mesh in the scrubber - can probably do that with some window screen. Nice easy mod.

I have a passive intake that is 10"x6". 250cfm 6" panasonic whisperline in-line fan pushing through the filter. If you've never seen these fans, when they say 250, they mean it. This thing is really strong for it's rating. Super quiet too. The carbon is approx 1-1/2" thick. Take a look...

Mmmm... Gorilla Glue...

:wave:

Last edited:
H

hedpi

i think you need more carbon..
around here its usually 1kg of carbon pellets per 100m3/h, which is like 70cfm, so if you have 250 you need like 3kg or more

PharmaCan

Veteran
SpacedCWBY said:
I have a little hoard of kitties in my house so I'm listening to this crystal thing. Pharma - Do you push or pull through the stuff? What brand do you use?

I push through the filter. I don't remember the brand name of the crystals, but, knowing me, I would have bought whatever was the cheapest at the supermarket.

PC :smoker:

SpacedCWBY

Veteran
Hey Doja - yeah, pretty easy to put together eh?

Not sure on the conversion (2.2lbs/kg???) but I've got about 13 lbs of carbon in there. It's about 18" long.

Thanks pharma. The first time I pulled through it. This last time I pushed. I'll have to put an active intake in the room and see if that helps. Just don't want any issues. I'm going to setup for a perpetual garden this time and want to make sure it's tight this time.

gr0wb0i

I push through mine, some have said that at 46" tall it's a bit of overkill but I couldn't chance any funky smell at all since my cab is in my closet and having the suits I wear to work smell like weed would be a big no no.