What's new

Ebb & Flow.....made easy

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
I was asked by a member to show how I make my Ebb & Flow tables.....err..tubs. I make almost all my E&F's......the hydro store wants too much for a table and a res. The only thing I can't find any where but the hydro store is the fill and drain fitting ($4.95) and the overflow kit ($3.95)
They look like this......

OK......pretty much any tupper ware tub can be used for a res. Depending on what size you need ...... they sell it. Here are a few examples I had laying around the house. I think they are only like 5 bucks for a large one........

I like to use a 55 gallon drum. I have access to free ones from a chinese warehouse. They get there Soy Sauce in 55 gallons drums from there factory. The guy has hundreds of them. Nice little resource :wink: They wash up fine with no smell. I usually only use the bottom half, and just cut it to size I want. They come with gallon markings on the side in 5 gal increments. The top has two caps....but I used once before ....and it started to leak one day....so I do not use the tops anymore.

OK....Now you have a res to hold the water. Now you need a table to go on top to hold the plants. Try and find one that has a pretty flat bottom. If not you can make a rack like I am about to show to help even it out. You can use any of the above tupper ware that you used for a res and use it for a table. Just cut it down to size. I like the long tupper ware tubs ....holds more plants.

The inside of the tub has the sides a little lower then the middle. I found these racks behind my grocery store.......the ones that are on the bread racks.......I thought they were trash....they were outside :rolleyes: :biglaugh: So I take this rack.....

cut it to size.........

Fit it inside the tub.......

and cut holes for the fill and drain kit.

Use the smaller piece of the rack and cut it to size to fit in the tub......You can see in the pic how the rack creates a flat surface so the plants sit level.
Also lets the roots grow down into the rack and not be smashed under pots.

The fill and drain kit can be put on either the end or on the side or middle.....which ever you prefer. I use a 1-1/8" bit for the drain and a 1" for the fill. Pictured is the top and the bottom once installed......

You connect the 1/2 hose to the bottom of fill plug and connect the other side to the pump inside the res. Plug this pump to your digital timer. You need a second pump inside the res that runs 24/7. You want to constantly stir the nutes in the res to ensure proper distribution to the plants. The drain plug comes with a 1/2" PVC pipe that you cut to size according to the size of plants you are using. It is a overflow pipe that lets you set the level of water in the table while being flooded.......which runs right back into the res.

I needed a table for my 12 White Rhino clones to get some root develpoement before going into buckets........so this was good timing.
I cleaned the tub....res and drain kit. plugged in pumps....set timer to water at 8am....4pm....12am. I added a air pump and 4" air stone to help ciculate the res. I also used two slats of wood and put under neath res to help keep good support. I have two systems under a 1000w HPS. My other 2 mH's are being used.

To sum it up.....all you need is a container to hold water......a container to hold plants. Try and make a flat surface inside for plants to sit on. Add fill and drain kit. Connect hose to fill pump. plug in circ. pump.......set timer.
You are ready to grow.

G

Man the is "Ghetto Fab" HOG

I started eyin all my tubes for suitable canidates.hehe

Tex

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of our local grocery stores will never be the same now.:) Hog yet again you prove your are gold my friend.

Mr.Wags

70s_PotHead

Kool, I like getto builds. Quick question, why run the 2nd recirc pump. Having the air stone bubbling 24/7 should do the same thing and not add any xtra heat to the rez dont ya think.

70s

G

Texas Kid said:
Man the is "Ghetto Fab" HOG

Tex

LMAO... HOG is a friggin Mcgyver... I have several of those big rubbermaids... you have me thinking outside the table.

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
true 70'spothead......... It is probably not neccesary to have a second pump for circ in a smaller res. I have the double set-up in my 55 gal res w/ no problems of heat.

mybeans420

resident slackass
Veteran
ghetto fab indeed!!!

excellent post there hog. i'll never look at my rubbermaid tubs the same way again. :biglaugh:

peace
beans

Hooked-On-Grown

Veteran
I have created a bad habbit....... I constantly am sizing things up where ever I go...

"oh man......that would make a great res.."
"hey....buy that ....its a perfect table...."

:biglaugh: Looking at the stuff in my moms garage........sheeeezzz :whip:

Xtrakritical

Ha ha ha Great show HOG!

I been having the same problem sizing things up all the time now myself!

Im gonna start callin ya Mr. Fix it! :D

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I do the same thing HOG, hehe, i even walk around industrialareas looking up at alll the HID security lamps, and thinking, now if only i get the fucker down, lol. Thanks HOG 4 doing this, its a good `1,u done it different to how i thought, i thought u had actually cut a big blue drum in half, lengthways(like ppl do with metal ones to make a bar-b-q) and used that as the tray section, see, good job i asked 1st, or id av fucked my b lue drum right up, hehehe. Im gonna try the other hydro shop for a fill/drain fitting, and the overflow, coz my usual guy says he only gets em as part of a system, i sed, what if got 1 and need a new part, he shrugged, not much customer service, lol.

70s_PotHead

You know I think all growers look at things a bit differant when going into a hardware store or wally mart :biglaugh: Just the other day I was in WM with the wife, and saw a big stack of rubbermaids, I asked her what do you see, of course she said storage tubs, I said nope, anyone doing hydro see's DWC bubblers and resovours :canabis:

Stoners can be real resourseful people, no reason to spend big bucks if you dont have to :chin:

70s :cool:

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
I Don't know HOG.
I mean you got use saws and Drills
and stuff.
Bet theres some kind of Goop too.
Measurements in 8ths?
I smell MAJOR PROJECT.
Sin

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Thanks HOG for the walkthrough.

Ill be constructing two of these ebb and flow ala Hog, for a room that is coming together. I alright bought one, so we will see how the home made ones compare.

thanks again

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
HOG here's a question for you. I need to extend my drain pipe another 2 inches. What would you suggest? PVC?

GreatLakes THC

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Im off Xmas shpping tomorrow, but there WILL e a detour to wilkos for a long look round the tubs, lol, i got a tray secion sorted, i have got a big drum, similar thing to what u used for the resm except this one is square, im sure u know the ones, anyway, ive already cut it in half, well not quite in half, the bit i wanted is a bit more than half, and as luck would have it, guess who had half a dozen of those big bread racks in his shed??? yup me, like u sais it HOG, i love it when a good ghetto plan comes together. I will spring for some of those proper E and F square pots, they add up though at 80 pence each. I know a guy who just fills the tray with hydroton and plants the cube str9 in2 it, what do u think HOG,

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
Thanks HOG...

Thanks HOG...

I've got my 3x3 set up now and have been doing test fill and drains, but the extender that comes in the kit isn't long enough to fill my tray deep enough. I thought the hydroton would be absorbent enough to moisten the rest of the rocks, but I was wrong. The moisture doesn't travel up the rocks much. I'm gonna get some PVC and make her work. Got any plans on getting into flood and drain time cycles at all? I'm about ready to take clones to fill the table and will need some advice on how often to fill and drain. Thanks...

GreatLakes THC

Bonzo

Veteran
I like ghetto! you can get those grey overflow fittings in the electrical department at Home Depot. Thanks for all the info HOG.

toofat

Hog, I know this may sound stupid, but how long do you flood the tables and how do you determine how high to set the flood? I mean if you have 5 1/2" pots how high should the water be? I have never grown hydro and I don't have a clue, but I want to try. :friends: