What's new

Who is not happy with LED the grow experiments?

devilgoob

Veteran
One was advertising a 82w $599 light, the other had dim as hell LED's on it, and they weren't coming from a single light source. Later I am going to assume another account name and grow under LED's, I have a well thought out plan, that I will share later.

Green_Dreams

Meh, people are just trying to get on the next great thing. The technology is definately not there yet. You would need a shit load of high power, super efficient, computer controlled diodes to really be able to strobe them and get the best results. $$$$$ is just waaaaaay to much for anything usable right now.

Smeden

Hi all.

Pretty new here, but just wanted you to know that LEDs are possible to find at fair prices. I just bought 8 x 168 led grow bulbs, with about 16% in blue colours and rest ind red. Got em for 200 dollar incl shipping to Denmark (and the bulbs are here now) looks nice quality. There is one picture of them in my gallery. Dont know how to post pics yet.
They are rated to be comparable with 400w hps, but im not convinced, so my idea is combining with my 2x600w digital hps (mh for veg and hps for flower) and when the buds comes, then use the leds to shoot light directly at the buds i want to give more light... but we will see if it will be worth anything. The bulbs only spread the beam 20%, so in my imagination, they should be good to "shoot" with?

Well this was my first thread here, will be posting pictures, when my 2 grow starts up.

Last edited:
im interested in led's to put in the middle of a 4 plant square, to get the lower buds going. if there was like...atleast a 50 watt for $50 that i could have the leaves touching the bulb, i would buy it just for that purpose.

BBc16

I dont have the issue but on the cover of the new hightimes they have a picture of a pretty interesting looking led light for a grow...if you go to there website you can see it. Anybody have any info on that light?

Lumen

hid hut ufo. google for that. A system with more power is called procyon 100, same pricetag, $600. Both claim to replace a 400W HID system. I have to build my own to see.

J

Joe Budden

leds just dont have the kick for me, i need pure raw hps power hitten my babies!! Happy christmas everyone
have a good one on me, and have a green holiday :D:D:D:D

pandapuffin

I see a lot of people saying LED's are useless, I have one 13w (225 light) panel on one skunk44 plant. It is my first, and I have not had one single problem since the get go. The plant is very healthy, but yeah, in comparison to a 600w light, it hasnt grown as big or as 'thick', but is a really substantial plant nonetheless. Of course you cant gro some superduper world class nugs with this 13w light, but I do believe you can get decent sized rewards nonetheless. I think its perfect for microgrows. And personally, I wouldnt consider a 600w operation a 'micro grow', nor a fair comparison, but what do I know.. 3weeks into flowering, and everything looks great, and not any different than any other plants I see on here as far as progress.

gride

i subscribe to an LED Magazine newsletter,
and see some of the stuff they are coming out with..
the technology is available, it just hasn't been applied to our industry yet
just this little flashlight i got puts out ridiculous amounts of light
from 1 little bulb and a two 3 volt lithium batteries
11835sf.jpg

they are using led's for car headlamps and replacing whole cities street lamps with them.
plus they can find tune the light spectrum's so well now
ooooh, how will that be to not worry about electricity or heat
im looking forward to it

hydrorascal

Im building a 3 part LED system... seedling or clones, veg and of course bloom. Unlike a lot of systems out there mine are not designed to work 5 feet over plants but are designed to work within the working ranges of leds.

Stage 1 for seedlings and clones is done, proven and available.
A true desktop unit, 15" x 10" .. 7" high drawing 12w for 264 leds of the PROPER spectrums for young plants.
Stages 2 and 3 are not far behind.

Spaventa

Veteran
hydrorascal said:
Unlike a lot of systems out there mine are not designed to work 5 feet over plants but are designed to work within the working ranges of leds.

I have a few questions...

What is that range?
how close to the plants do they need to be?
what pentration do they give?
how many lumens per foot does this equate to?
Do they get hot?

Whats wrong with flourescents? thats what ive always used...

Cheers

hydrorascal

Scrog is the perfect method of using leds. Max distance for being effective is in the 6" or less range.

Lumens are a poor indicator for leds. HPS and MH lights for all their lumens typically waste 80 to 85% of their lumens in wrong spectrums and in heat.

Inside my 15" x 10" seedling house the temps run in the low 80's.

flourescents run hot and like HPS lights put out very few of the plant preferred spectrums.

pandapuffin

what made me want to use LED lighting as sifting through grow pages on here and seeing all the ghetto electrical jobs most people do on their systems. Plus, I only want to grow 1 to 2 plants at a time (If its strictly for personal use, why in the world would you ever need more than 5 rotating perpetually??) Anyway, the LEDs are also very low wattage, and no heat as compared to the blazing hot HID's/Hps. Is losing your home to a fire REALLY worth it?? I applaud all these people for experimenting, but electrical work is nothing to 'experiment' with... ANyway, thats my opinion, and why I choose to use LED's. I have used CFLs before, and was generally happy with them, but was looking for an even safer route.

My main conern is lumens. There is sooo much talk with LED's and their wide reaching spectrum, but I haven't heard shit about lumens..

The few plants I have seen in LED were grown SOG and looked terrible.

I was talking with a product tester who was on vacation in the DAM for HTCC and he was telling me how all of his kush and widow doesnt yield for shit under LEDs. Even with six 90w LED (supposed 600w equivilant :muahaha: ) around a single plant were not yielding half of what his tried and tested magnetic 1ks..

Its just like Blu-Ray and HDTV. Just another ploy to line pockets...

10 ft ganja