What's new

metal halide in flower

icough2getoff

I'm about 22 days into flower and I'm still using my 400 MH bulb. This is my first time using a MH. I like it and my plants seem to like it, but I've heard that HPS is better for flower. Anyone know much about that? I'm trying to decide if I should switch, even though I'm 3 weeks in 12/12. I just don't know if it would make a significant difference :canabis:

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Run the MH in flower, especially with sativa-dominant genetics. Try it and see if you notice the difference.

Peace-

Dig

G

HPS has more of the orange part of the light spectrum - which is sposed to b wat plants like wen flowering, I've heard good results from mixing MH and HPS bt see how jst a MH does if u want. (also i think HPS tends to have a higher lumen output per watt than MH)

EXPERIMENTATION IS KEY TO GROWING!!!

G

Run the MH in flower, especially with sativa-dominant genetics. Try it and see if you notice the difference.
Ditto that Dignan dude :wink:. Best quality crop I ever had was run totally under cool halides. It'd be better to go with a warm halide but not necessary to spend the extra $. With air cooling you can get the light within about 8" from the tops with a MH. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

G

I used to run a 1000w MH in flower and I think it made denser buds than HPS.

GCG

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use a 600w hps on top of the ladies ,and the best 2 plants get a 250 mh at the side of them ....good results

duzt

I use a 1000 mh and a 600 hps next to each other. Seems to work best for me, better then just mh or hps anyway. I did find that my 400 mh back in the day by itself did a great job of flowering and wasn't as happy when I switched to just hps alone in flower.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have budded with a 1000 watt MH before and noticed the strain I usually grow came out denser, but a little smaller. Also, it seemed like there was much greater crystal production. I think the bottom line is, if you gorw for quality and don't care to take a small drop in yeild, a MH will do just fine. If you care about yeild and want nice bug fluffy buds, use a HPS. Both work great, but the finished product is slightly different, nothing to large, but noticable. That is what I experienced in the past using the same strain under both lights, and the conditions were exact.

TGT