What's new

Problems with cuttings (please help).

THC•20

Ok, all my cuttings have been successful with rooting but I seem to have a problem, all of the cuttings leaves always turn yellow. And some show slowness in growth and some type of deficiencies. When they start showing roots should I add a light mix of nitrogen in my spraying water bottle and spray the leaves? Would that help? I'm trying to keep all my cuttings as healthy and I am still getting used to this whole cloning thing. Also how often is it alright to spray the cuttings with water? And when exactly is it ok to take and keep the humidity dome off? Because sometimes the clones would seem to dry and I was constantly spraying my humidity dome and not the cuttings. I'm not exactly sure how to take complete care of them so, sorry if these seem like newbish questions but they are things I have never really gotten a clear answer on.

G

it is normal for your clone to eat a few of its leaves while rooting...once it is rooted you put it in veg and dont need any dome or misting anymore

Big Brother

Rooting and leaves

Rooting and leaves

With rooting all the energy is focus on rooting the clones and it is best to have a few leaves as possible, rooting takes about 12-16 days and and the leaves will turn yellow or white as rooting take place.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
THC•20 said:
Ok, all my cuttings have been successful with rooting but I seem to have a problem, all of the cuttings leaves always turn yellow. And some show slowness in growth and some type of deficiencies.

Yellowing leaves are natural when cloning. Think about it, you're focusing on generating roots, not new branches and such. Since the clones are in a nutrient-free environment, they are utilizing the stored energy in the fan leaves to fuel the rooth growth...

THC•20 said:
When they start showing roots should I add a light mix of nitrogen in my spraying water bottle and spray the leaves? Would that help? I'm trying to keep all my cuttings as healthy and I am still getting used to this whole cloning thing.

No, don't spray your clones with fertilizer. Once they start showing roots, the only thing you should do is stick them in some soil. I usually plant my clones once their roots are about a quarter inch long. I planted this one right after snapping the photo...
234576daystillroots.jpg

THC•20 said:
Also how often is it alright to spray the cuttings with water? And when exactly is it ok to take and keep the humidity dome off?
Honestly, I use a wick cloner and have NEVER misted my clones or humidity dome...

See, the medium for rooting is perlite. And underneath that two inch layer of perlite is some strips cut from a 100% cotton shirt that are fed through some holes into the resevoir. So, water is continually pulled up from the res to rehydrate the perlite, which releases a fair amount of water vapor into the air, humidfying your cloner.

Normally, I remove my humidity dome after a week. There have been times where I haven't removed it at all until time to transplant into soil, and haven't seen any negative effects that way, either.

Also, cutting your fan leaves in half will slow transpiration, keeping your clones moist and viable for rooting...

After a few rounds of cloning, you'll get the hang of it. It's to the point now where I'll throw a few cuttings in just to see how long it'll take for them to root. Kinda like a game...

Either way, good luck...

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
Bubble cloners are okay, but they require an airpump and an electrical socket to operate. Wick cloners require nothing extra, just light. I think it's something worth considering...

G

panopticist said:
Bubble cloners are okay, but they require an airpump and an electrical socket to operate. Wick cloners require nothing extra, just light. I think it's something worth considering...

I agree, Ive used a vermiculite wick cloner with 100% rootage.....no extra work needed from what ive seen. In fact these clones were treated like shit, and still turned out great roots.

That cloner was thrown together in about 5 minutes. It was an ice cube tray, some vermiculite, rooting hormone and some water. The roots that came out were amazing.