What's new

BAN BHA/BHT/TBHQ!

There is a preservative found in our food and hygiene products which I think you all should know about. This chemical, BHA/BHT/TBHQ reacts in an extremely negative way when combined with THC in the bloodstream.

"Exposure to marijuana smoke in conjunction with BHA, a common food additive, may promote deleterious health effects in the lung."

Everything from brand name chewing gums to cereals use different forms of this preservative in their foods (BHT, BHA, TBHQ). We've even found a hemp body lotion which uses it. This is a preservative which is originally created as a by-product in the petroleum refining process. Many countries, including Japan, Romania, Sweden, and Australia have allready banned it. Even McDonald's stopped using BHT products completely after 1986

The use of BHT as a preservative has become much more widespread in the past 10 years, as food companies have searched for alternatives to cheap, hydrogenated fuels. Consumers should know what they are consuming. Replacing trans fats, these preservatives our being used in American foods more than ever before.

BHT and THC

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12119125&dopt=AbstractPlus

Synergistic cytotoxicity of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol and butylated hydroxyanisole.

Sarafian TA, Kouyoumjian S, Tashkin D, Roth MD.

Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, Rm 37-131 Center for Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles 90095, USA. [email protected]

We examined the food additive, butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA), for its capacity to modulate the cytotoxic effects of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). THC was not cytotoxic when added to cultures of A549 lung tumor cells at concentrations<5 microg/ml, but induced cell necrosis at higher levels with an LC(50)=16-18 microg/ml. BHA alone, at concentrations of 10-200 microM, produced limited cell toxicity but significantly enhanced the necrotic death resulting from concurrent exposure to THC.

In the presence of BHA at 200 microM, the LC(50) for THC decreased to 10-12 microg/ml. Similar results were obtained with smoke extracts prepared from marijuana cigarettes, but not with extracts from tobacco or placebo marijuana cigarettes (containing no THC). Two different mechanisms for this synergistic cytotoxicity were investigated. Experiments were repeated in the presence of either diphenyleneiodonium or dicumarol as inhibitors of the redox cycling pathway. Neither of these compounds protected cells from the effects of combined THC and BHA, but rather enhanced necrotic cell death.

Measurements of cellular ATP revealed that both THC and BHA reduced ATP levels in A549 cells, consistent with toxic effects on mitochondrial electron transport. The combination was synergistic in this respect, reducing ATP levels to <15% of control.

Exposure to marijuana smoke in conjunction with BHA, a common food additive, may promote deleterious health effects in the lung.

Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) (Wikipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BHT

Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) is the organic compound with the formula MeC6H2(CMe3)2OH (Me = methyl). This lipophilic (fat-soluble) phenol is primarily used as an antioxidant food additive (E number E321) as well as in cosmetics, pharmaceuticals, jet fuels, rubber, petroleum products, and embalming fluid.

In the chemical industry it is added to tetrahydrofuran and diethyl ether in order to inhibit the formation of dangerous organic peroxides.

BHT was patented in 1947 and received approval of the Food and Drug Administration for use as a food additive and preservative in 1954. BHT reacts with free radicals, slowing the rate of autoxidation in food, preventing changes in the food's color, odor, and taste.

Controversy

Concerns have been raised about the use of BHT in food products.[citation needed] The compound has been banned for use in food in Japan (1958), Romania, Sweden, and Australia. The US has barred it from infant foods. Some food industries have voluntarily eliminated it from their products. However, BHT is also marketed as a health food supplement in capsule form.

Products known to contain BHT:

Krispy Kreme Donuts
Chiclets and Trident gum (Cadbury Adams)
Orbit White sugarfree gum (Wrigley Jr. Company)
Diamond Foods nuts
Quaker Oats Granola Bites
Banquet Brown 'N Serve sausage links (ConAgra)
packaging material for some Kraft Foods products (including Nabisco and Post brands)
Banana Boat facial sunblock stick (Sun Pharmaceuticals)
Safeway Corn Flakes
Stride gum
Wheat Thins
Kellogg's Rice Krispies

Last edited:
G

are there any food products here in the US that carry that crap? would it just be on the label if its in there?

YES!!!

YES!!!

YES! Hundreds of food products use these chemicals as a preservatives.

Wheat Thins, Captain Crunch, and most chewing gums have it.

Check your labels for: BHT, BHA, and TBHQ. It will either be in the ingredients list, or under the ingredients, listed as "packaged with BHT/BHA".

We have a few chemists helping us. I can forward any specific questions there are about the science.

There are many chemicals being used in our food/hygiene products which are JUST NOW being proven harmful. While we blame China for some of the chemicals they're using to cut corners, we need to be sure to check our own...

ebi

G

A couple of details I don't quite understand:

"A549 cells" what are these?

"necrotic cell death" What is this? and does this happen only to the A549 cells?

Is this the accelerated "old age" cell death of a type of cancer cell?

The units that are involved: How high would a human be? Would they still be awake?
Like .. a light buzz or knocked out for a week?

dwtc

this is one of the reasons i try to eat all organic foods, it's more expensive, but if you read whats in regular patato chip and then organic you will see. organic chips have patato and sea salt as the ingredience. kinda makes ya wonder why it's more expensive :confused:

thanx for the info.

stay safe,,,,,,,,,,,,,dwtc

G

That study that you linked is dated 2002.

More than five years old.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
dwtc said:
organic chips have patato and sea salt as the ingredience. kinda makes ya wonder why it's more expensive :confused:

It's easier to get people to willingly ingest substances like the chemicals in question if they are significantly cheaper than their all-natural analogues.

Damn economics.

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
No personal offense but Sarafian is a total douchebag that seems hellbent on proving THC is the root of all evil. If you believe a fraction of his biased crap then there should be mountians of statistical proof in the hospitals oncology departments as well as additional researchers backup data. Take a look at some of Sarafians other " reports ".

[report mentioned]
Synergistic cytotoxicity of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol and butylated hydroxyanisole.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

More of Sarafian's crap reports.

Marijuana smoke and Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol promote necrotic cell death but inhibit Fas-mediated apoptosis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Delta 9-tetrahydrocannabinol disrupts mitochondrial function and cell energetics.

Gene expression changes in human small airway epithelial cells exposed to Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol.

Inhaled marijuana smoke disrupts mitochondrial energetics in pulmonary epithelial cells in vivo.

Oxidative stress produced by marijuana smoke. An adverse effect enhanced by cannabinoids.

I would also like to point out that following the 'links to all related articles' has about half a dozen other articles that show the cytotoxicity and other dangers of BHT all by itself. Sarafians supposed research link to a 'bigger danger' seems amusing at best when looking at the broad scope of his distain for marijuana.

Do your own research on these chemicals. By all means, If you feel it's perfectly safe to eat (with or without THC), that's your liberty.

I feel better knowing that this information was delivered to it's target audience, regardless of the date it was originally published. While I was in college, I gave multiple presentations on these chemicals, in general (with no focus on the THC study). I received a fair share of criticism, that's fine.

ebi

Last edited:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
panopticist said:
It's easier to get people to willingly ingest substances like the chemicals in question if they are significantly cheaper than their all-natural analogues.

Damn economics.

ITS FUNNY HOW CMEMORY RULES.
thats why places like WALLMART are ruining this world.

im also with you im just wondering why the lable with 500 things is less expensive.....then it hit me... the economy of scale. dont forget the ingrediance inside are .35-.90 cents at the most add 10 mil. for machines and they can pump out 100,000's in minutes.

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
DIGITALHIPPY said:
then it hit me... the economy of scale. dont forget the ingrediance inside are .35-.90 cents at the most add 10 mil. for machines and they can pump out 100,000's in minutes.

Not to mention, since the chemicals are a by-product of petroleum refinement, I'm sure we have more than enough just sitting around, waiting to be turned into a profit...

G

ebi thanks a bunch for the post, i love wheat thins...i've always bought them thinking they were better than chips, never have looked at a label (stupid me)...not only the BHT crap but HFCS as well...i pitched a mostly full box and won't be buying any more...

G

Verite said:
No personal offense but Sarafian is a total douchebag that seems hellbent on proving

Tashkin is a real winner also.

He published something about pot causing cancer. In the Harvard Medical Review. He showed that pot smoke has some of the same chemicals that cigarette smoke has. He thought this was proof that pot smoke causes cancer.

A couple of years later he tried to count the bodies .. couldn't find any. So then he published another study in the same journal showing that he was in error.

Peer review bullshit.

These people give a bad name to science.

He actually came back and admitted he was wrong??? That's rare.

Either way, you're willing to bet against this and claim it's all just "propaganda" against Marijuana?

I ran across this while doing research on BHT, not while reading about Marijuana.
PLEASE find me some links to other forums where they're discussing "conspiracy theories" relating to these chemicals, because I will happily talk to them :)

ebi

Verite

Veteran
peanutbutter said:
Tashkin is a real winner also.

He published something about pot causing cancer. In the Harvard Medical Review. He showed that pot smoke has some of the same chemicals that cigarette smoke has. He thought this was proof that pot smoke causes cancer.

A couple of years later he tried to count the bodies .. couldn't find any. So then he published another study in the same journal showing that he was in error.

Peer review bullshit.

These people give a bad name to science.

Exactly the point I was trying to make PB. If you follow the links in my above post you'll find plenty of studies from other researchers that show the toxic nature of BHT without any kind of inferrence that the sole unique ingredient in MJ causes the BHT compound to become hyper-toxic.

If the extent of all your research like Sarafians is geared toward proving that THC causes multiple conditions none of us seem to experience thru many years of use and theres no other researchers follow-up tests to support Sarafians research then Im going to have to make a logical deduction that Sarafian has a biased agenda making any information he presents to be viewed in that light, highly suspect. If I was a betting person my Franklin would be that someone or something in Sarafians past totally screwed him outta something and he blames pot. So hes going to use his position of authority to villify, demonize, and anything else possible he can present to discredit it. Not exactly the research I would want backing my position.

So do I believe BHT isnt that good? Sure. Do I believe that THC makes BHT worse? Hell no, not for one second.

I also remember half the substitutes they came up with for sugar caused tumors in rats but never seemed to effect any of the beached Betty's that consumed half their weight a day in diet soft drinks. If BHT were any worse it would have been pulled long ago.

Bob Labla

that would shed a little more light on marijuanas illegality. these companies probably wouldnt be required to do w/o this preservative unless weed was legalized on a federal level. so pharma/food/tabacoo/alcohol ALL have vested interests in keeping weed illegal and they make up most of the campaign financiers.

Verite said:
Exactly the point I was trying to make PB. If you follow the links in my above post you'll find plenty of studies from other researchers that show the toxic nature of BHT without any kind of inferrence that the sole unique ingredient in MJ causes the BHT compound to become hyper-toxic.

If the extent of all your research like Sarafians is geared toward proving that THC causes multiple conditions none of us seem to experience thru many years of use and theres no other researchers follow-up tests to support Sarafians research then Im going to have to make a logical deduction that Sarafian has a biased agenda making any information he presents to be viewed in that light, highly suspect. If I was a betting person my Franklin would be that someone or something in Sarafians past totally screwed him outta something and he blames pot. So hes going to use his position of authority to villify, demonize, and anything else possible he can present to discredit it. Not exactly the research I would want backing my position.

So do I believe BHT isnt that good? Sure. Do I believe that THC makes BHT worse? Hell no, not for one second.

I also remember half the substitutes they came up with for sugar caused tumors in rats but never seemed to effect any of the beached Betty's that consumed half their weight a day in diet soft drinks. If BHT were any worse it would have been pulled long ago.

That's commendable. I'm happy that you and your "beached Betty's" can enjoy Aspartame, Sucralose, and food coloring. You're absolutely right. They're legal because they're perfectly safe, not because we live in a nation driven by economic incentives.
ebi

Last edited:

Verite

Veteran
EasyBakeIndica said:
..., not because we live in a nation driven by economic incentives.
ebi

Exactly the question you should be asking Sarafian before using his biased reports to do the equivalent of yelling 'fire' in our crowded house. Maybe next time we'll actually get to see some smoke.

Frozenguy

Veteran
hey I just found TBHQ in orville redinbakers butter microwave popcorn!!!

its not in their container of "popping corn" used in air poppers and stove top poppers.. but it is in their microwave popcorn.. atleast the butter series.. and i was thinking about it the whole time it was popping!! i just got home from smoking 5 bowls with my buddy and my girlfriend and i'm so hungry but only have the popcorn to microwave. dont feel like cookin anything and the girlie went home.. so i was thinking about it the whole time.. i'm enjoying it right now with my glass of diet coke.. oh yeah.. aspartame.. great.. but i DID quit diet coke a week ago.. got a little headache for first day and a half.. now i'm fine.. have had 1 glass or 1 can each day yesterday and today.. i needed to rid my life of all that.. water is much better..

ok rambling over..

frozenguy

G

EasyBakeIndica said:
He actually came back and admitted he was wrong??? That's rare.

Either way, you're willing to bet against this and claim it's all just "propaganda" against Marijuana?

I ran across this while doing research on BHT, not while reading about Marijuana.
PLEASE find me some links to other forums where they're discussing "conspiracy theories" relating to these chemicals, because I will happily talk to them :)

ebi

Please.

I am very interested in learning anything that has been proven to be bad with marijuana. I'm an advocate. Anything that is out there that is going to bight my ass is something that I want to know about.

However .. these folks tried to say that smoking pot causes lung cancer, and then had to publicly change their mind.

I had a hard time with that one. The same people were showing that pot caused AND didn't cause cancer. I looked for a while and found out why. They jumped to conclusions and called that jumping "proof."

It's sad that first "study" gained peer approval.

Another "study" that I saw lumped crack and pot smokers into the same group. The group had lung problems.

Another "study" I read looked at cigarette smokers. Some of which were pot smokers also. All had cancer before the "study" began.
One conclusion was that pot smoking caused bladder cancer.

As there has been many such "studies" I believe that any anti pot study results need to be looked at very very closely.

If these new "studies" are by the same people that have provided very low credibility reports in the past, the new study should start out being suspect.

Please remember, they have an agenda, they have the funds, they have a war to fight.