What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cheaper beneficials

InjectTruth

I am a huge fan of beneficial bacteria and fungi. We all know about the benefits of brewing teas, and using certain supplements, but they can be quite pricey.

Many of you may be familiar with Paul Stamets, mycologist extarordinaire, and here are his beneficials, http://fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html . All species are listed and sold in one ounce increments (good for 50 gallons of water or 50 cubic ft of soil) for only $6. They even sell a seed germ blend, so your plants are colonized before they even pop! I've had great success using these in conjunction with rock phosphate and worm castings. GREAT for outdoor plants too.

I have been in the market for an enzyme product like Hygrozyme or Sensizym, but they are quite pricey. Does anyone know of any other enzymatic products? I always like to mulch plants with their dead and trimmed leaves/branches, and have been looking for something to break them down quicker than the fungi alone.

Suby

**AWD** Aficianado
Veteran
InjectTruth said:
I am a huge fan of beneficial bacteria and fungi. We all know about the benefits of brewing teas, and using certain supplements, but they can be quite pricey.

Many of you may be familiar with Paul Stamets, mycologist extarordinaire, and here are his beneficials, http://fungi.com/mycogrow/index.html . All species are listed and sold in one ounce increments (good for 50 gallons of water or 50 cubic ft of soil) for only $6. They even sell a seed germ blend, so your plants are colonized before they even pop! I've had great success using these in conjunction with rock phosphate and worm castings. GREAT for outdoor plants too.

I have been in the market for an enzyme product like Hygrozyme or Sensizym, but they are quite pricey. Does anyone know of any other enzymatic products? I always like to mulch plants with their dead and trimmed leaves/branches, and have been looking for something to break them down quicker than the fungi alone.

Great Phucking Link :headbange !

Well looks like we all have some more ingredients to play with :rasta:

Suby

quadracer

Sweet. I've often thought of playing around with different fungi and bacteria. How hard would it be to start colonizing your own so you won't have to buy it all the time? I'd imagine it isn't too hard. What about enzymes?

Has anyone tried a biodynamic compost inoculant (link) before?

Thanks for that link Inject Truth.

make most of what you got

make most of what you got

A friend of mine usses a 20 gal fish tank with some airstones and adds piranha, tarantula, and voodoo along with some carbs to feed them. they reproduce in the tank and he now has a huge supply of beneficials that he scoops out when he needs them, works great. No more droping big coin on them every run.

Last edited:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How hard would it be to start colonizing your own so you won't have to buy it all the time?

not hard at all!! ive collected variety's from the local mountains a few times now from a few different locations. i know theres some info on collecting in the OFC near the beginning but ill search for the info later tonight. you also might want to do a search in google for "quick return compost". its a cheap homemade version of that activator. i will be making my own very soon as ill be growing my own biodynamic plants this next year.

quadracer

jaykush said:
not hard at all!! ive collected variety's from the local mountains a few times now from a few different locations. i know theres some info on collecting in the OFC near the beginning but ill search for the info later tonight. you also might want to do a search in google for "quick return compost". its a cheap homemade version of that activator. i will be making my own very soon as ill be growing my own biodynamic plants this next year.

Hey thanks for the information. The first page that came up was the "Common Sense Compost Making," which has some really good advice and information. He makes his own activator with Yarrow, Chamomile, Dandelion, Oak bark, Valerian, Nettle, and honey. I have some of that growing in the yard.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey thanks for the information. The first page that came up was the "Common Sense Compost Making," which has some really good advice and information. He makes his own activator with Yarrow, Chamomile, Dandelion, Oak bark, Valerian, Nettle, and honey. I have some of that growing in the yard.

hey no problem, the site i was reading was saying nettles and yarrow are the secret ingredient. now only if i could get some yarrow and valerian root around here. lucky you have them in your backyard i see some quality compost in your future.

gromer

Okay at a first glance that sounds great and appears cheaper but after some thinking its like powdered innoculants like say plant sucess I get 120gm,4 oz of about 20 species for 14 bux.If I was to have to buy an oz of each species so as to have all the same species already in the products Im using Id prolly spend well over 100 bucks.Does he have a mixture of a bunch for a set price or seperate only.Id follow the link and look but Ive had bad luck with following links.Thanxx for any input on this.Peace,Gromerr Pott!!

quadracer

jaykush said:
hey no problem, the site i was reading was saying nettles and yarrow are the secret ingredient. now only if i could get some yarrow and valerian root around here. lucky you have them in your backyard i see some quality compost in your future.

What I don't have growing is available at an herbal store. They have a bunch of crazy herbs I have never heard of, even a huge section of Chinese herbs.

InjectTruth

cocktail frank said:
what exactly would i buy in that link inject?
i see a few options

MycoGrow™ Soluble
for Potting Soils & Rooting Media
MycoGrow™ Soluble is similar to Plant Success™ Tabs but is more concentrated, containing more spores. Consisting of powdered spore mass rather than tablets, MycoGrow™ Soluble is great for adding to rooting media or commercial potting soils. Sold in one pound and one ounce increments. An ounce is sufficient to treat 125–250 plants covering approximately 250 square feet.
One ounce MGS100 $5.95 Buy
One pound MGS110 $79.95 Buy

MycoGrow™ For Vegetables
A blend of endomycorrhizal species selected specifically for vegetables, 1 ounce of MycoGrow™ For Vegetables is mixed with 1 quart of water for a water drench. This product can also be banded in rows or side dressed before plantings, or mixed directly in pots and trays. Sold in one pound and one ounce increments.
One ounce MGV100 $1.95 Buy
One pound MGV110 $24.95 Buy
Note: this product cannot be shipped to Hawaii.

MycoGrow™ Micronized Endo/Ecto Seed Mix
Give your seeds a head-start prior to planting with MycoGrow™ Micronized Seed Mix, a mixture of 8 species of endo- and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Directly upon germination, the seeds quickly mycorrhize with the beneficial fungal allies, enhancing growth and disease-resistance. Can be used with hydromulchers and blends well with other products. Sold in 1 ounce increments, which is sufficient to coat 1 pound of seeds.
MGM100 $2.95

The one in bold is the one I use mainly. Also, if you have access to Espoma brand Bio-tone, its a great source of cheap beneficials. 25lbs for $25 and it has all the myco's that are in the above product PLUS beneficial bacteria and an all organic NPK of 4-6-8 (or something like that)

InjectTruth

gromer said:
Okay at a first glance that sounds great and appears cheaper but after some thinking its like powdered innoculants like say plant sucess I get 120gm,4 oz of about 20 species for 14 bux.If I was to have to buy an oz of each species so as to have all the same species already in the products Im using Id prolly spend well over 100 bucks.Does he have a mixture of a bunch for a set price or seperate only.Id follow the link and look but Ive had bad luck with following links.Thanxx for any input on this.Peace,Gromerr Pott!!

If you check the link, you will see, it is just like plant success. He even sells plant success tabs on the page. Many different species are available, and a one ounce package treats 50 gallons of water, or soil. Not to mention if you brew it/liquid culture it, you could turn $2 into a lifetime supply of mycos

Latest posts

Latest posts