What's new

Vertically Simple

So after reading through NortherFarmers Stadium thread (Great grow/setup by the way) I got a few ideas.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=57927&page=1&pp=15

Northern Farmer said:
verticals and wheels are prolly the only type of systems that use the light better than this style.
Northern Farmer is referring to his stadium system which I have provided a link to. So anyway, I sketched up a diagram of what I think is a good Idea for a completely vertical system that still employs the simplicity and ease of use of the stadium setup.

The Tiers/Levels would be set at a 45 degree incline as to promote growth outward.

My purpose for posting this is to get some feedback and possible problems. Please feel free to ask any questions as well.

BTW. I am an artist by no means. This actually took me a little while and a good portion of my attention. Not to mention I had to do this in paint as it is the only illustrator on my OS. So please don't make fun.

Later Guys,

-CT

Last edited:

DirtDoctor

Beyond Stadiums - the Octagon

Beyond Stadiums - the Octagon

Vertical and Wheels, a match made in heaven:

closed:

open:

I'll get around to throwing up a grow show here pretty soon.....

Nice DIY vert systems you got going on. The plants in the first photo look far away from the light ladder, is that just how it looks? Do you think there would be any advantages to inclining the plants? You hand water those? Whats the shelving and frame made of? Whats the average yield off of how many plants in these setups?

Sorry for all the question, I'm just really intrigued.

Nice setup.

-CT

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Cool rig doc, is that the unit rolled open for maintenance? Now I know what I want the bedroom walls in my new house to look like. Very cool.
H

DirtDoctor

chris - the plants are about 2 feet from the 1000w lights when they're that small. The plants grow inwards and up, and I plant them with a slight incline when I transplant into the 3-gallon pots... so there's no real need to tilt the shelves.

8 Shelves x 10 Plants = 80 plants

3K Watts

Best yield I've gotten was a few ounces short of 6 Lbs - purely Organic w/Metanaturals & PowerFlower soil - no bloom boosters, no Co2....

I'm a tiny bit less lazy of a grower these days, so I'm hoping to top that with the run I have in there now..... :dance:

I water with a hose and wand from the back of the shelves.

The shelves are just plywood and 2x4's with wheels, painted w/ Mildew Resistant bathroom paint. Each shelf is just a tiny bit bigger than the seedling trays that I use under my 3 gallon pots.

Haps - it's rolled out just to show the size of the canopy - here's a pic of it in bloom only partly opened:

G

Thats pretty awesome!

Do you have to rotate the plants so they can get light to both sides or do you just have a weaker side of the plant?

My bad DD, I meant the second picture. It looks like those are very far from the light ladder, do you just have them rolled out or does it just appear that way? What is a wand? All organic, is that just your personal preference?

Wow, as you can see from the diagrams I drew up this is essentially what I was thinking of. Seems really efficient while maintaining simplicity. I am really impressed with your setup DD, you should think about doing a grow log.

-CT

pumpkin2006

CT, you'll find some threads about omega gardens on this site. Pico did one, in the end he didn't like it. The wheels have their issues, but these vert systems are by far the most efficient systems all around. My only issue with them is that they are ideally implemented when using many plants with very little veg time. So... the constant struggle of plant count vs veg time and spacing.

So basically, if you don't mind plant count, go balls to the wall with these systems. In a 24'x24' space with 6k flip flopped, you could easily produce 30lbs every harvest, with little veg time. Just your plant count would be something very :yoinks: <- thats fuck me in the ass prison.

Pumpkin- Yeah I understand those Omegas to drip on the canopy resulting in potential mold growth. 30lbs every harvest with 6kw, how so? The reason I ask is because DD said he was able to pull 6lbs off of 3kw? Could you please also explain what you mean by the constant struggle of plant count vs veg time and spacing.

Thanks,

-CT

Last edited:

Siddartha

More veg time means less plant count for the same or more yield, but obviously takes longer. More plant count means less veg time and the same or more yield, but as pumpkin so well said, thats fuck me in the ass prison.

I like this idea alot! I'm trying to find a way to fit this all into a cab, lol, I'll let ya know what I come up with.

pumpkin2006

ChristianTaylor said:
Pumpkin- Yeah I understand those Omegas to drip on the canopy resulting in potential mold growth. 30lbs every harvest with 6kw, how so? The reason I ask is because DD said he was able to pull 6lbs off of 3kw? Could you please also explain what you mean by the constant struggle of plant count vs veg time and spacing.

Thanks,

-CT

Well, for example, one guy on here (can't remember the name) got 4lbs off of 1200w with the omega. Also, I was talking about flip flopping (maybe I forgot to mention that).

No, you didn't forget to mention that. But still, wouldn't a flip flopped DD vertical grow only produce around 12lbs every harvest?

-CT

pumpkin2006

ChristianTaylor said:
No, you didn't forget to mention that. But still, wouldn't a flip flopped DD vertical grow only produce around 12lbs every harvest?

-CT

No, not with a concentration of 4 plants per sq ft with less then 3 days of veg in the system from rooted clone. Your plant count probably would be in the thousands, but bio-mass efficiency is an interesting thing. Like in my grow, I have to 4' lavender mothers on the outskirts of my lights... they wont yield as much as they could, but, by just adding them to the picture and space, I've increased my yields; I'll probably get an extra 1/4-1/2lb because of it. The reality is that the vert systems have the best grams to watt ratios out there, proven, over and over again.

12k in lights, vertically, should easily yield more then 1lb a light (I easily get that in horizontal setups).

G

Since I'm not the one bringing up the wheel systems...

Omega and the Rotogro are really pumping out big numbers here in BC now. The average seems to be 5-6 lbs off the 2kw. There are guys I talked to who have hit the 9lb range now. The word is the record is 11.

My best friend just ordered a Rotogro. I will help him set it up and maybe run a progress thread.

pumpkin2006

That would be awesome to see. Whats the plant count their using? Isn't it normally around 180? Also, never heard of a rotogrow, I'll go look, Edit: NM, here it is: Rotogro Homepage

Last edited:
G

Siddartha said:
More veg time means less plant count for the same or more yield, but obviously takes longer. More plant count means less veg time and the same or more yield, but as pumpkin so well said, thats fuck me in the ass prison.

I like this idea alot! I'm trying to find a way to fit this all into a cab, lol, I'll let ya know what I come up with.

there was another cat on AN who had a nice vert set up in closet. Dude by the name of Green Bastard. Wasn't as moveable or the size of DD's nice ass set up but it was super well thought out and effective, similar yield just under 6. He ran 2k and then towards end added an extra 400 or 600 in the middle.

Same basic concept but he had shelves and ran drains all down to bottom. a square instead of an octagon. might be easier to get a visual on for a cabinet style space.

I love that damn thing DD, I just gotta get me some space then I can build one of those pimp ass sets. I am sure you will jump over 6 this round. I got faith in your skills and dialin' abilities.

That whole veg time argument is a no win, all about maximum efficiency, best use of space. start doing some things vertical get some shelves...fine tune your clone sched. and all that. People just gotta get a bit more resourceful. where there is a will there is a way.

vertical scrog style even for your mamas is cool shave the backsides down, put em right up against the wall and surround a bulb using shelves...whatever million ways.

sorry for the litter Dirt doc.

pumpkin2006 said:
I've increased my yields; I'll probably get an extra 1/4-1/2lb because of it. The reality is that the vert systems have the best grams to watt ratios out there, proven, over and over again.

12k in lights, vertically, should easily yield more then 1lb a light (I easily get that in horizontal setups).

I agree 1 million times over. I think that 2 a light should be the bar when going vert. just makes sense. even with low yielders should be at least 1.5 and if you bang 1.5 flat no problemo on the stand up 2+

Last edited:

Siddartha

I was thinking
|(VScrog)(Vertical Light)(Tree-style plant)(Vertical Light)(VScrog)|

and maybe cooltubed 250w lights in a 3-4 foot wide cab.

Whaddya think?