What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Carbon scrubber.

manitu

Hi guys.

When a buddy of mine ordered a carbon scrubber from some idiot who made junk in his garage, and sold it on a forum, I had to help him fast , because I told him about the seller . (I've gotten mylar from this guy before, and I tought he was serious.)

Ther design we used, me and another friend came up with a month ago.
I'ts really simple, you use a ventilation silencer, cut it in half , removes rockwool , adds carbon, make lots of holes in the outer shell, and seal one end.

The silencer can be bought for like 20-30£ , but you could easily find a used one at a building rehabilitation , or behind your local ventilation shop.
It does'nt matter if it's 4 feet long , just cut it in the size you want, but remember: bigger surface, means less restriction.
Just find a suitable inner and outer diameter.
In my scrubber, the carbon layer is 2 inches thick.

here we do the first cut..
1.jpg

done

Here , I forgot to take a picture , befor I removed the rockwool , but it was between the inner and outer tube.
2.jpg

The inner tube.
[
3.jpg

Done
4.jpg

Thjis was the worst part. I know it's to few holes, but we did'nt have time for more. The plants was dying allready, from the heat, since we removed the old ventilation, before looking over the "bargain". Anyway, the fan is 500m3, totally overkill for 3m3 of growspace
5.jpg

The inner tube
6.jpg

I used thin fibreglass cloth as dust filter, but a pantyhose should do.
7.jpg

8.jpg

Then the outer tube
9.jpg

10.jpg

Time to fill it. You can see the junk filter...
11.jpg

Half full... Or half empty? THE FILTER MUST BE FULL!!!! There is a picture missing here. shake the filter , and tap it against the floor until you can't add more carbon!!
12.jpg

I got a special made lid, but any rigid material would do
13.jpg

Sealing it with tape
14.jpg

Mounted on the fan
15.jpg

And that's that!

Design by Manitu & Northern RockStar
Craftsmanship by Manitu & Sturur

.manitu

Last edited:

manitu

lc00p4 said:
pretty nice scrubber you got there. how is your fan doing with the scrubber?
The fan is doing just fine, but I'm going to cut bigger holes in the outer shell , when the room is empty again, I think the filter could be less restricting.

Thwe total cost is hard to figure, we bought a shitty filter first, wich we got the carbon from.
The silencer cost 20-30£
and the carbon costs 23£ for 8 kg, I think.
The fiberglass is like 2-3£

The biggest advantage is that you could make a BIG filter ,wich would be less restricting, scrub better, and last longer than the filter you would buy! (price)

.manitu

Last edited:

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
hey if its half full, or half empty for that matter...the air is blowing around the carbon to the least resistance free space left over and out the holes without filtering.forgive me if you already knew this but i see too many people that just dont know, do things like that and think its working so please fill your carbon filters all the way or they are not effective.

Last edited:

manitu

The scrubber should be full!!!

There is a picture missing, I'll see if I can find it.

when you have filled the scrubber , shake it , and tap it against the floor , until you can't add anymore carbon.

.manitu

manitu

It has worked perfect for 4months , still going strong. This filter has 8kg of carbon , and should last a year or so.

.manitu

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts