What's new

I have homebox XS - What should i do?

Jebfx

Hey there!

I have a Homebox XS.

This box is 60x60x120cm (0,36m2) and I'm having trouble to choose between some things..

- What kind of light?

I'm thinkin 400w HPS. But I have to get cooltube and maybe even digital ballast?
Do you agree on this?

- How many plants?

I may be running the 12/12 method, and in that case i need more plants per m2 since the decreased yield.

- DWC or soil?

Should I go for a big box of soil? Or should i make a small dwc system with 4-6 plants or so? Or will it grow to big? :p

Since this a homebox with limited growsize I want to make the best out of it.

The height is defently a problem, but with the ventilation system on the outside of the box I do spare some room. And because of the limited hight I also want to try out the 12/12 method.

I hope you can help me out with this :)

Best regards
Jebfx

Steaks

While my metric is a lil rusty I think a 400w in an xs is overkill. Unless you are confident in you ventilation setup Id go with a 250 in an XS. Height can be rectified by using genetics that favor a lower squater plant along with a nice scrog.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
That thing is similiar to the Hydrohut Mini. Get a 400w and a inline fan to vent the hot air out. You could air cool it but that isn't really necessary. If you line it with some mylar you will have great light reflection. Good luck

-Funk

G

im about to start a one plant 400 watt 2x2x5 cabinet grow...no cool tube just good ventilation...so i would not worry about a 400 cool tube...in my humble opinion its not needed

go DIY dwc system 4 plants one for each foot squared ... 250 or 400 watt up to you 250 is plenty for the space dont think a 400 would be "overkill" but it is a bit of a waste ..so get a 250 with a digital ballast "lumatek" or something then you got 300watt output with only 200 watts power usage

get the dwc system as low as you can 20cm is perfect ....
an air stone beneath each plant and use a good pump
nett pots and 10L of clay ballz and a pack of jiffy pellets (jiffy plugs, peat pellets)
http://www.discount-hydro.com/growmediums.asp scroll down to jiffy-7 peat plugs.... you can get them anywhere... when you soak them they expand (soak them for 4.5 minutes)

a 4" fan with a 4"carbon filter and ducting right at the top

now coz its mighty small you need a real indica.... NL#9, or something then you can flower it when it reaches 14" see hoew much it rises then next time grow it a little bigger untill theres about 20/30cm between bulb and absolute top of the plant

you wont really need a movment fan as the main fain will have to be one when the light is .... (small space) you could get a cheap fan speed controller as well then you can run the fan at 50% and still have good air flow without the noise level

list of stuff:

1) DWC system
a tank
net pots
air sones
air line
air pump
air pump 4 splitter
grow media
jiffy pellets

a)tank /storage box spray outside black in not black already
b)cut 4 holes the size of the net pots in the lid (if no lid make one from cip board
c)liquid silicone the air stones in the bottom under each site ...
d)connect air line that goes to air pump

2)light
buy what ever light you want
but you need a florecent as well for veg (try and get a mother wing /the propagator)

http://www.discount-hydro.com/growmediums.asp (the propagator)

3)air flow
4"fan
fan speed controller
4"carbon filter
4"ducting
duck tape lol
4"duct to wall spigot
hanging chains

a)have to fan sucking air out the grow room at the top .duct from the fanto the edge of the room and on a duct to wall spigot that leads outside the box
b)connect the carbon filter to the fan (inside the chamber) and hangthe fan and the carbon filter to the roof frame..if the frame isnt strong enough build one quickly out of strip wood... like a cube but without faces
c) connect the fans plug to the fan speed controller ..hang the fan speed controller near the top away from the plants

4)nutes and additives
thease are up to you ... canna product are the best!
to suit your system you should get:
canna aqua vega (veg)
canna aqua flores (flowering)
canna PK 13/14 (superbloom)....wow
superthrive
http://www.discount-hydro.com/nutrients.asp (canna aqua half way down , PK13/14 last product at the bottom)

http://www.discount-hydro.com/supplements.asp (superthrive)

5) misc
1 segment timer (light)
hooks & chain / nylon string to hold up light
digital tempature monitor

http://www.discount-hydro.com/misc.asp (digital thermometer)

you can get some mylar to improve your reflection if you want

http://www.discount-hydro.com/mylar.asp

ec pen
ph pen
ph down
liquid silicone buy growth technologys (use as ph up)

all can be found most places ... discount hydro is a cheap one

think about it .
:wave:

oh yer very important ... cover the intake vents with mosquitto netting/ fine satin material (buy from fabric shop ) ...will stop any and all bugs ... but wont disturb the air flow

Jebfx

Nice tip with the netting, i will be sure to do that.

Now my setup is looking like this:

Homebox xs
400w hps with cooltube
K125 fan connected to a 150m2 con filter

I will run one bed with 9 plants with 15cm between each. Will start them in smaller pots untill sexing.. I will start them directly in 12/12 lightning to reduce height and growtime..

How does this sound to you?

cjk

2" 8 bulb new wave t5 for veg (mix spectrum), perfect size for homebox xs. 250 - 400 hps for flower. i'd use a digi ballast. little 6" clip fan for inside circulation. i ran 9 six to seven inch pots in the xs in rows of three. fits perfectly but if you can get clones i'd probably just do three or four bigger plants in bigger pots. just make sure the pots aren't too tall because you already have a height disadvantage. you can always cut big pots down to size and still keep the width.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
If you haven't bought the lamp yet, check out the CMH lamps here http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=72215

More blue than MH and more red than HPS, all in one bulb. Cooler, too.

Check up on LST. I wouldn't recommend ScROG unless it's modular (one screen per plant) or they're on a pull out shelf. Trying to get to the back plants would be a major pain.

SemperAltus

id like to see some pics when its done ive been thinking of getting an xs to do some stuff seprate from anything else, glad to see im not the only one that is stoked on one of these haha looking forward to see how your little room comes out

Goat

Hey there,
I have a homebox XS and im happy to say its working well. I'm using a lumatek 250w/GE HPS bulb, coco hand-watered with hesi. Exhaust is blown through the can 33 filter on the outside with a 65cfm(?) fan. As long as you keep continuous negative pressure you shouldn't have any smell. I'm on my first run with the homebox growing some "orange bud" bag seed, luckily some pretty good bud. I ended up with three separate pheno's and nearly 150% STRETCH!!! Since the initiation of flowering, I've had to tie the tops to the opposite side just to keep them out of the light (which is tied directly to the highest spar). Needless to say; they've all outgrown the homebox xs. I've already built a scrogg screen for my next grow (strawberry diesel X sour larry ogk from elite genetics) hopefully this will keep the canopy low. In a perfect world id have the XL/2 600s and keep the xs for a mother. All in all, it was a good purchase though...sure beats the hell out of a Phototron.

Hope this helps and happy growing! - Goat...bahh!

still messier than id like, but it all happened so fast...