What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clean, Easy Cool Tube Tutorial

Lemon

(*Note - This is of course, by no means a new idea. This is simply meant to be an informative tutorial based on my experience while searching for a cool tube solution. I was unable to find any detailed or clean instructions on how to make a cool tube using a Pyrex bake-a-round. They all ommited small details or used a ton of duct tape, random scraps, etc. This is intended for those who want a durable, clean, easy to assemble piece of equipment for thier setup. )

Lemon's Clean and Easy Cool Tube

This is a detailed tutorial on how to put together your very own cool tube. You can assemble one of these in about 20 minutes. This is based on a 150 watt HPS, but may be adapted as needed.

What You Need:

1182963735-514940-400x299-153531.jpg

1 x Pyrex Bake-A-Round tube (long discontinued, but available readily on EBay and in classifieds, Flea markets etc – surprisingly common) - $10-15
1 x pair of Café Rod brackets (hardware store, where window fittings are located) - $1.50
1 x Ceramic medium or mogul lamp base with standard mounting hole - $0.99
1 x 1”-1.5” (approx) hose clamp - $0.80
1 x 3.5”-4” (approx) hose clamp - $1.00
2 x 4.5”-5” (approx) hose clamps - $2.50
1 x roll of self adhesive insulting foam for hot water pipes. - $2.50
1 x #6 – 32 x 3/8” (machine screws with nuts) - $0.99
1 x multipurpose (including glass) glue or epoxy (optional) - $3.00
1 x 400°F small tube of silicone sealant - $2.50
Your HPS/4” duct system – N/A

Step 1:

Collect your café rod brackets, lamp base, and screws.

1182963737-514941-400x299-153532.jpg

Remove one of the café rods and bend into roughly the shape illustrated in the next photo (you may need a something to help such as a pair of pliers).

1182963740-514942-400x299-153533.jpg

Attach the café rod to the lamp socket’s mounting hole using a screw and nut.

1182963742-514943-400x299-153534.jpg

1182963743-514944-400x299-153535.jpg

Connect the wires from your power source line to the lamp socket. The white wire should connect to the silver screw, and the black wire to the brass / darker screw (this is standard color coding). I used a little bit of solder for good measure. Leave the ground wire (green) unconnected for now, ideally left a little longer than the others.
Cut and bend the remaining café rod into three pieces with tabs on the end as shown. The longest/middle section should measure 1&1/8” on each (medium) or 7/8" (mogul). The other sections are of negligible length, but around ½” is good. These are your spacers.

1182963745-514945-400x299-153536.jpg

Fasten the spacers to the lamp socket as shown. Use your epoxy or glue if desired in addition to the clamp to make sure everything is firmly in place.

1182963747-514946-400x299-153537.jpg

Step 2:

Hang your bulb assembly over the end of the Bake-a-Round. You will notice that there is a slight bit of play between the spacers attached to the socket, and the inner walls of the tube (if you measured correctly and don’t have an oddly sized socket). This is deliberate and is to account for possible thermal expansion in the metal. Fitting the spacers firmly could result in a cracked or broken tube!

1182963749-514947-400x299-153538.jpg

Place the bulb in the socket and clamp the hook hanging over the side of the glass tube with the ~4” Clamp. Tack the hook and clamp with epoxy/glue for added strength (The glued clamp can still be popped off, so don’t worry too much about how you will change the bulb).

1182963750-514948-328x438-153539.jpg

Step 3:

Wrap self adhesive insulating foam around each end on the tube as shown (or only one if you are using exhaust only). This will allow 4” duct to fit very snugly to the tube (which it’s self is 3 ¾” O.D.), and will also act as a gasket/seal when clamped.

1182963752-514949-400x299-1535310.jpg

Thread wiring through the ducting, attach the ducting to the tube, and clamp in place. Finish with silicone sealant if desired. Connect the ground to the duct or the café rod hook.

1182963754-514950-400x305-1535311b.gif

Add an optional reflector made from unclosed rigid duct (you can find this in your hardware store – it’s a piece of sheet metal with a snap together seam that hasn’t been connected). Simply cut to length, cut flanges a half inch from the ends, and clamp those to the duct/tube. Hang your lamp with light chain available from your hardware store by the foot. The chain attaches under the clamps on the duct. You’re done!

1182963755-514951-400x533-15353tubeclos.jpg

The End

-

Last edited:

TaxiBoy

This is a GREAT tutorial, Lemon! The cool tube DIY tuts that are floating around now are not nearly as detailed or clean as this. I think the DIY gurus on ICmag will really be into this!

I especially like the way you made use of the adhesive pipe insulation as a gasket material. Also, your socket spacers are top notch. K+++++!

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Two words for you:

BAD ASS

Great work that thing looks just as good as the $100 ones online :headbange

-Funk

Arkaya

Great job, someone get that damn "add this to the archive" picture in a post here stat! This is the cleanest looking cooltube I have seen DIY yet!

NightFire

FYI, the Pyrex Bake-a-round goes in spurts on eBay... When I built my cool tube a few years back, there were no more than 3 bake a rounds on ebay at a time for over a month... and they were not cheap... about $35.00-$40.00 (USD) each with shipping.

Other than that it works great.... kept my 1kW HPS in it inside a 4x4x6 room, kept the room nice and cool (I was using a 8" Vortex)

Lemon

Thanks for the feedback, glad you like it. :joint:

1hitWONDER said:
how much for the tube?
As mentioned above, Bake-A-Rounds vary in price since they are only found used. Now for instance, there are quite a few on e-bay, available from $5 to $16. with $10 average (+shipping).

Check out Craigslist for better local deals.

-

Last edited:
G

nice, complete, simple!!!!

great!

lemon, this is a great contribution to the site and i'm very happy you shared. the other cooltube designs on here are usually overcomplicated and/or incomplete like you said
k+

superchido1

Great tutorial! This just might be my solution to my hot cab. Thanks to all the McHighvers out there who contribute to the cause! Viva la revolucion! :muahaha:

G

NICE, but id let the N00bs know not to plug in the bulb into the wall..lol....

from the pictures it looks like a regular wall socket....i see in the back you have a ballast but people might not get it....

peace!

happyherb

no wuckin furries!
Veteran
tagged.....cool !...went the oposite way and bought one just waiting for it to arrive ...i do intend on makn some when im not in a rush....just the problem of getting the pyrox tubes in australia with the research ive bein doing for awhile.HH.

I2KanGrow

Oh, man... why didn't I come across this tute sooner!!! This is GREAT Lemon, very clever - I'm definitely using this one - Kudos to you, and THANKS!!!

Lemon

n00b1 said:
NICE, but id let the N00bs know not to plug in the bulb into the wall..lol....

from the pictures it looks like a regular wall socket....i see in the back you have a ballast but people might not get it....

peace!

Hahah, good point :biglaugh:

Attn: n00bs - use a ballast!

Oh, if anyone has put one of these together and has any feedback, lemme know!

On another note, here are some seedlings of mine - when the first few sprouted they were on a window sil and started stretching - so I tossed em under the hps. They don't mind getting nice n' close.

15353seedlings.jpg

D.W.A.I.

Well, I was going to try and PM this question to Lemon, but I don't have 50 posts....

Anyway...about that cord that's coming off of the socket...let's say I have a 250W lumatek digital (I'm still in the design phase, and don't actually have the equipment yet), will there be an 'outlet' on the ballast whereby I can plug the socket into it?

Another question...if I order the socket cord that comes with the ballast, can it be attached to the bake-a-round as simply as this, or is it larger, more cumbersome, and unable to be beautifully modded like Lemon's socket.

This is -the- best and cleanest cool tube tutorial...it's PERFECT. Great work!

Lemon

D.W.A.I. said:
Well, I was going to try and PM this question to Lemon, but I don't have 50 posts....

Anyway...about that cord that's coming off of the socket...let's say I have a 250W lumatek digital (I'm still in the design phase, and don't actually have the equipment yet), will there be an 'outlet' on the ballast whereby I can plug the socket into it?

Another question...if I order the socket cord that comes with the ballast, can it be attached to the bake-a-round as simply as this, or is it larger, more cumbersome, and unable to be beautifully modded like Lemon's socket.

This is -the- best and cleanest cool tube tutorial...it's PERFECT. Great work!

Hey D.W.A.I,

From what I can tell, Lumatek ballasts also have an outlet on them where you plug in the cord from the bulb. I believe they use thier own kind of proprietary socket. If you buy the cord, you should be able to set this up the same way as I did unless the cord comes with a different style lamp socket already attached to it (which I think it does unfortunately). If so, you would have to modify things a little to get it to work, but It would be completely doable - I would just clamp the hook to socket instead of attaching it with the screw and nut (you would have to straigten/cut off the little tab though). Alternatively you could just cut it off and attach a standard socket.

Last edited:

SoulShine

Lemon,
GREAT tutorial!!! Thanks so much!! I'm looking to make one of these for my grow chamber and this is just what I was looking for. You need to send this thread to Pontiac for the DIY Link-o-Rama thread http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40637 The one on there has lost all its pictures and is hard to follow now. I'd do it myself, but I don't have enough posts to PM yet.

Way to go, man!!!
Thanks again,
Soulshine

Latest posts

Latest posts