What's new

Tasting the aroma of cannabis....??

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello IC :wave:

ive been pondering about a test i always wanted 2 do before i grew....it concerns tasting the aroma of weed...its kinda weird 2 explain but i did the test and it seems i did get other tastes on my tongue....he's :crazy: you'll say but i assure you ..you can taste the aroma of bud......let me give ya an idea on how it go's in my world and in my head :biglaugh:.....i took 3 diffrent strains and 3 grinders.....grinded the bud in all 3 and tasted it 1 by 1...i took 1 grinder,opend it and put mu thumb and pointingfinger around the lid...i put my mouth over if and suckt the air carefully against my tongue and repeated it a few times....i did the others after this...and let me assure you, if you close your eyes and taste verry good you'll know and taste the diffrence....
i've never read anything about this so if there is some link out there ..Plz let me kno:smile:

i know this all sounds KuKu ...but i'm in love with BUD so dont say anything untill you try....i know some of us have better tastebuds then others so if you like 2 try this and state your findings before you shoot it down......ohw yea DONT eat the BUD!!..or snore it :pointlaug

Last edited:

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bump ...no1 sees the reffinement of this....? i do wanne add you can toutch the bud with the tongue and taste the thc a bit .....but that would be the limit....

R

Reinhold

Hmm, Im not sure exactly the technique your describing, but yes I do notice I can taste herb if say I roll up a joint or blunt and before I spark it just suck air through a few times and you can def notice the taste as you said.

eugenegreen

herbalist
Veteran
LMAO:D.... I've never heard of this before but I'm definitely going to try it:rasta:... I love bud too :joint:

P.S. It might be similar to a dry puff off a joint...

Core said:
Hello IC :wave:

ive been pondering about a test i always wanted 2 do before i grew....it concerns tasting the aroma of weed...its kinda weird 2 explain but i did the test and it seems i did get other tastes on my tongue....he's :crazy: you'll say but i assure you ..you can taste the aroma of bud......let me give ya an idea on how it go's in my world and in my head :biglaugh:.....i took 3 diffrent strains and 3 grinders.....grinded the bud in all 3 and tasted it 1 by 1...i took 1 grinder,opend it and put mu thumb and pointingfinger around the lid...i put my mouth over if and suckt the air carefully against my tongue and repeated it a few times....i did the others after this...and let me assure you, if you close your eyes and taste verry good you'll know and taste the diffrence....
i've never read anything about this so if there is some link out there ..Plz let me kno:smile:

i know this all sounds KuKu ...but i'm in love with BUD so dont say anything untill you try....i know some of us have better tastebuds then others so if you like 2 try this and state your findings before you shoot it down......ohw yea DONT eat the BUD!!..or snore it :pointlaug

G

TASTE
How is taste affected by the sense of smell, and vice versa?
Read through these opinions to learn about the connection.

Geusi - (Greek) taste.
Ageusia - the absence of the sense of taste.
Hypogeusia - a decreased sense of taste.
Dysgeusia - an unpleasant sense of taste.
Nasal Dysfunction Clinic.

Despite the close association, taste and smell are anatomically and functionally distinct... The olfactory system is vitally important in determining food flavors. During chewing and swallowing, odor-laden air is forced from the rear of the oral cavity to the olfactory receptors, evoking many flavor sensations that people usually associate with taste but that are almost completely dependent on the sense of smell.
Grolier Electronic Encyclopedia

Taste is a sense very different from olfaction. It is another of the human senses and is perceived primarily on the tongue. There are four recognized tastes and these are sweet, salty, sour, and bitter. They occupy geographically separate areas on the tongue and are perceived in cells clustered together in taste buds. The flavor of food is a combination of its temperature, its texture (that means how it feels inside the mouth), its appearance, its taste (meaning salty, bitter, sour, or sweet) and its aroma as perceived by the sense of smell. The sense of smell plays a major role in the flavor of foods and it is common for individuals who lose their sense of smell to report that food loses its taste. This is of course incorrect; the food has only lost its aroma, and taste (sweet, salty, sour, bitter) remains intact.
Nasal Dysfunction Clinic.

True taste disorders are uncommon. A taste disorder may present as a loss of taste, that is the loss of the ability to detect salt, sweet, sour, and bitter or it may present as an abnormal taste in the mouth such as a bitter taste, an unpleasant taste, or even an electrical sensation. Loss of taste is most commonly caused by an interruption of the nerve to the tongue. This can happen as a result of surgery, tumors, or even dental injections. Abnormal tastes may be caused by injury to the taste buds, injury to the nerves responsible for taste, or to a variety of other conditions which occur within the mouth. Occasionally dental work will set up a small electric charge in the mouth just as an electric charge is created in a dry cell battery. This may be perceived as an abnormal taste or as a stinging, electrical kind of feeling. These conditions vary so much that it is difficult to classify them in a meaningful fashion. Nasal Dysfunction Clinic.

Recent studies indicate an even greater importance of the interaction between smells and tastes in food flavor - the sensitivity to an odor (almond) actually improved when there was a sweet taste in the mouth, but not with a savory taste - almond + sweet is experienced as cherry - this suggests there is actually a specific site in the brain where integration of taste and smell information occurs - in other words, "flavor" is greater than the sum of taste + smell, so only getting half of the sensation will give you less than half of the "flavor quality"! It might be that texture and irritation could help to offset this, and that would be an interesting study to do.
Nancy E. Rawson, Ph.D. Associate Member Monell Chemical Senses Center

Smell is 10,000 times more powerful than taste. Taste is mostly (~75 %) smell.
www.cf.ac.uk/biosi/staff/jacob/teaching/sensory/olfact1.html

Taste and smell are very strongly linked. You can smell without tasting, but your taste is greatly affected if you cannot smell. Opening your nostrils allows food vapor to flow to reach your olfactory epithelium.
http://faculty.erau.edu/vincenzd/hfs615/sensation_ch15_outline.htm

Generally, your taste sensation is overwhelmed by the smell sensation, to the extent that the taste sensation is almost imperceptible.
www.golgotha.org.uk/useful/anosmia.html

In my opinion, arguments about taste and smell are difficult to keep clear unless you upgrade the vocabulary. Start with the ground rule that "taste" will only be used for the five qualities obtainable from the taste receptors of mouth and throat: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, umami. I know of no good evidence for any further taste qualities. All other experiences that one gets from food (or other objects) in the mouth should be referred to as "flavor". Flavor is regarded as the result of gustatory-olfactory interaction. Anosmics can taste quite well -- nothing missing there. But they cannot experience flavor.
http://personal.ecu.edu/wuenschk/taste.htm

Last edited:

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea guys its kinda similar like airing tru a pure joint... combine those 2 (flavour and smell) and you could find a better description for adding info in a smokereport or something..

ohw yea Brainthor i'll refer it as flavour next time lol ....thanks man

brainthor said:
During chewing and swallowing, odor-laden air is forced from the rear of the oral cavity to the olfactory receptors, evoking many flavor sensations that people usually associate with taste but that are almost completely dependent on the sense of smell.
Grolier Electronic Encyclopedia

That's crazy;We're all really smelling with our mouths when we're tasting. It always seemed to me like to two senses were interconnected but I guess they're not.
I love both the taste and smell of bud though...

G

I love puffing on an unlit joint before I light it up, thats my favorite taste/aroma, a joint of dank tasty herb.

Core

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hehehe some1 who see the reffinement of this ....not much connaissuers around here it seems...i guess most of us are just potheads....:biglaugh:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I don't really taste smoke very well, so it's hard for me to notice subtleties when I'm smoking. I can really get a better tell of what it smells and tastes like if I either taste the aroma after I grind it up, or after I've rolled a joint, taking a few pulls before lighting it.

Grandad

I love the taste through a vaporizer.

Or else I often singe a small bit with a lighter to get some of the subtle fragrance.

dread

Veteran

sure u can taste herb
sometimes i&i take a big bud & use it like chewing tobacco,hidden in my cheek
after sucking it up a few hours,it gets u pretty happy!!

i & i also love the taste when i&i vape my herb,i've got a reizer from Evert
grtz
D.

lordbudly

Veteran
hey this is kind of funny now that core is all pro and grown up with the pot growers we are, but terpenes taste and smell alike, which is why you can taste them, terpenes are volatile, which is why bud loses its smell if its not air tight, terpenes probably evaporate and then condensate on your tongue (saliva) so you can taste the bud

knowin me id probly end up with a nug lodged in my throat cause i sneezed or somthing.. j/k but i do know where your comin from i love dry hittin my joints hell even bowls. herb sure is a beautiful thing.