What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12/12 from seed 250W HPS nirvana northern lights first grow.

Looks good, I've never tried 12/12 form seed so I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. your attic space sounds pretty lo-pro. I'm jealous- my attic is unusable cause its filled with old asbestos-type insulation, and there's no floor boards. The problem with some attics is that most of the insulation is on the floor instead of the ceiling so it gets freezing cold in the winter and boiling hot in the summer (at least thats how mine is). A couple of larger fans might still be necessary down the road and I dont think noise would be an issue because of the insulation. Good luck!

gsavill90 said:
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do with the seedlings, seeing as they've stretched a lot, i read somewhere that when i transplant i can put them in soil up to their first set of leaves. Is this a good thing to be doing?
thanks

Since they are a bit stretchy you can sink them down in their new pots so the soil level is just under where the cotyledons were (the very first set of round leaves) but dont go any higher. this part of the stem is where the "bark" will start growing, but before it forms this bark, adventitious roots can grow. Look for little whitish/tan dots near the base of the stem- this is where the roots will grow. Looks Like your plants are almost at this stage.

Do you have a small fan blowing on them? That, and lowering the fluorescents will help limit stretch.

H

Hal

Hey G90...

Nice little grow ya got goin. Do you have a thermometer to keep track of the temps? Attics always worry me regarding heat issues. If your garden gets too hot (generally above 85 degrees f becomes dangerous) it will potentially fuck up your grow, so read up on heat issues and how to combat them.

Don't expect hellacious growth yet, the plant puts most of its energies in the beginning into growing a nice root system, and the fact that you are using a soil bed, and not individual pots, will give the roots even more space to spread out into. When the plants show their sex though, watchout! they will grow a few inches a day for a week or two. Good to keep that in mind when you go to bed at night...make sure the plants aren't toooo close to the light, or they might be touching it in the morning when the light comes back on.

I'm guessing you got the idea to use a bed of soil from atmosphere, eh? I think that is a good way to go also, and think I will try using the bed method next grow.

Last edited:
H

Hal

Well, for starters, since you vegged the plants for a few weeks, your grow won't really be a 12/12 from seed grow, but that isn't nearly as important as getting your garden to give you superb bud for your enjoyment.

Begin the count for your flowering phase when you see the first little hairs that indicate the plant is a female. This will likely be different for some of the plants, but if they are all the same strain, the hairs should appear somewhat within the same general time frame. Males generally reveal themselves before the females.

The distance of the light to the canopy is an important factor....ya don't want it too far, because of the fall-off in light intensity that happens quite drastically, and then again, you don't want the light to be too close that it will burn the leaves. If you are using a 250 HPS, I think you can get that pretty close...4 or 5 inches...as long as you have a decent ventilation and/or breeze blowing on the canopy.

Regarding the use of the soil bed...that is what atmosphere has been using, he finds that it results in more copious harvests, and if he thinks it works, I would have to agree. It would have worked better, if you had started from the get-go with 12/12 light regimen, and when the plants revealed their sex at around the 14 day to 21 day range, and you could identify and get rid of the males, and then transplant from small containers into your bed. That way, you don't have to worry about any males ending up in your bed.

Last edited:
H

Hal

If you have had them for 16 days in the 12/12 regimen, it is possible. They usually don't show sex until the 4th internode forms...so if you have passed that point...could be showing sex. It might not show until the 5th or 6th internode forms though.

Last edited:
H

Hal

Don't be too rough on the CFL's....granted, the HPS is going to work quite a bit better, but I am growing with CFL's and getting an ounce or more of dried bud per plant. The plant that I just chopped today (photo in the 12/12 from seed thread) might be pushing 2 ounces dried. I just harvested a Fruitbowl a few days back, its now curing in a jar, and she weighed in at 29.2 grams dried...and she was only 16" tall. The plant I harvested today has similar bud development, but is 31" tall.

Latest posts

Latest posts