What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone growing by the moonphase?

G

Hi to all, I would be very interested to hear if there are any growers here who grow using the moonphases. As a rule of thumb, I always set seed on a new moon, & harvest on a full. The idea being the gravitational pull of the moon will literally pull your plants through the soil faster, they should be up & running by the full moon. Plants sown the other side of a full moon can take a lot longer, sometimes sitting in the ground till the next moon comes round. The longer a seed sits in the ground, the more vunereble it is from rotting, fungal attack etc.
Also usually the weather changes after a full moon, so is a good time for harvest, a harvest moon is traditionaly the full moon in september. This year there is a good chance that a lot of outdoor plants will be ready by then as it is on sept 26th, should be pulling a lot of buds up by then. the next one will be oct 28 th, so we will be risking it a bit for that one. Full moons at the end of sept are good news for growers, but they can induce a bit more stretch to your buds. I personally think that a full moon makes em more potent, pulling the last bit of juicyness up there. You might want to dismiss this as old farts nonsense, but growing outside we all need to be in tune with the weather & the moon certainly influences that.
Be interested to hear what you all got to say. Any lunartechs out there?
By the way, most ancient civilisations needed to accurately know the moonphases for this very reason, sowing time & harvest time, they built a pretty good clock at stonehenge, but someone stole the mechanism :)
Old saying round here, "2 moons in May, there'll be no grass or hay." Luckily we only had one this year.
Cheers, Farmaz2.

fortragni

I do this. i also try to do any trimming during the waxing phase, and training during waning, pretty sure my single outdoor plant should be ready by the full moon in october..

G

Well we had "2 moons in june, looks like I spoke too soon". HA ha, the only way people will get to any grass round here, is with a submarine. lol.
Next moon is 27 Aug, green corn moon or fruit moon.
Green corn moon means exactly that, crops not ready to harvest.
28 Aug A total eclipse of the Moon is will be visible before or during dawn from the central and western U.S. and Canada. Easterners can watch the Moon sliding into eclipse while dawn is brightening and the Moon is dropping low in the west. Details: partial eclipse begins at 3:51 a.m. CDT, total eclipse begins at 4:52, totality ends at 6:23, and partial eclipse ends at 7:24

It will be interesting to see how much is ready on the next one, 27 sept, should be a good one.
Interestingly the weather finally changed here after the last moon, its more settled now & were even getting sunshine. No rain since then.

Planting on a full moon.

Fortagni, the moons on the 26th in Oct. Bit late but you might just be lucky.

fortragni

Hey thanks for the information and support, i think it might wind up my indoor crop this cycle will be ready around oct.26, hopefully the one outdoors is, and before it gets too cold

G

Lunar Eclipse
A total eclipse of the Moon occurs during the night of Wednesday, February 20/21, 2008. The entire event is visible from South America and most of North America (on Feb. 20) as well as Western Europe, Africa, and western Asia (on Feb. 21). During a total lunar eclipse, the Moon's disk can take on a dramatically colorful appearance from bright orange to blood red to dark brown and (rarely) very dark gray.
In UK it is about 3.00am well worth getting out of bed for. Lets hope its a clear night.

"I saw it written and I saw it say
Pink moon is on its way
And none of you stand so tall
Pink moon gonna get you all
Its a pink moon"

Last edited:
G

Hi farmaz and fartragini,
This is something ive always wanted to incorporate into my cannafarming as I do in my home gardening because i believe it helps.

Its just so hard to follow. I have to plant when the ground and my plants are ready , regaurdless of the moons phase. It takes me 2=3 weeks to get my plants out and rain and everything else forces my hand. I havent been successful even when i tried.

In the fall, I harvest by ripeness of the bud and the weather forcast and again, regaurdless of the moon.. Does that happen to you?

G

Hi Silverback,
Your right, sometimes you have to "GO" when you can, this isnt a science, & every year throws up different weather patterns & you have to adapt & move quick when the time is right.
Heres what I do know though, the lunar phases & its gravitational pull, & the effect that has on water in particular are undisputably linked. I think the worlds largest tides occur on full moons in the spring & fall. If the moon can pull the water of the seas up by as much as 17 meters, then it may have some effect on the weather & rain too. Thinking of those little seed sprouts, I would say they must be 80%-90% water at that stage. Why shouldnt it be pulling them up too!
I live in a rural, mainly agricultural part of the world here, where farmers have lived for generations & it is very intersting talking to these "old boys". A common recurring theme is "Sow seeds on a new moon". One old boy said when asked when the best time to plant was, "I sit on the ground, & when I can feel the warmth of the soil through my pants, then I plant". He did have Haemaroids though! lol.
I have noticed a link to weather patterns & the moon. It is more than coincidence that the weather seems to change after a full moon. So many times the weather is warm & fine a week up to the harvest moon in september. If the weather doesnt change during the full moon, ie it has been raining, it may stay changeable till the next new moon.
Dont take my word for it, but just be aware next time you plant or harvest what the moon is doing.
One last thing we always get our coldest frostiest snaps during the full moon period, Why? because there are no clouds in the sky, it hasnt been raining.
If your thinking of pulling those plants, check to see when the next moon is, you might just get a few extra days of fine weather.
cheers.

Last edited:

NL5/SK1

Planting by the moon

Planting by the moon

The Farmer's Almanac used to say to sow seeds for plants that give their fruits(seed,whatever) below ground, i.e. potatos in the first two weeks of the month after frost.

Plant the above ground fruits, i.e. marijuana, the last two weeks of the month.
Here in the mid atlantic that means the last two weeks of April. I have had the best crops(25 years+) planting the last week of April.

Fingaz2

Full moon today tommorow, if this isnt a harvest moon then I dont know what is! ok its october but the weathers been great here for the last ten days. Rain tommorow is a'coming.

"I saw it written and I saw it say
Pink moon is on its way
And none of you stand so tall
Pink moon gonna get you all
Its a pink moon"

Last edited:
G

Guest, Im hoping the harvest moon we're having now will speed up maturation. We'll see. Even though we're dry as a bone, Im hoping the rain they are forcasting for Wednesday,(the same front that is bringing rain to you fingaz2) will peter out before it gets here. I watched the weather this morning and the man said we shouldnt see much. We've been under a blocking high pressure sytem all summer, (drought) and I don't think this front is strong enought to punch a hole in it. I need another week to ten days for my sensi stars and I don't want it to rain on them at this point 8 weeks into flower.

The weatherman did say however, that we could see 34 degrees on Wed night and light frost in low lying areas. Im not in any low lyers now and the plants are big so frost wont hurt them, but after that, its supposed to be clear and cool with highs in the low 70s into the next week, then in the mid 60's for the following week, so Im hoping the rain will stay away for just a bit more.

After that, we need some serious rain because Ive started digging my holes for next year and the ground is harder than a wedding dick. My shovel just bounces off. Moisture!

I hope it pours.

Almost forgot. Guest, I do believe the moon has a significant impact on the onset of flowering. Its my belief that years where a new moon correspondes with the appearance of flowers, flowering will begin as much as a week sooner than normal. Ive observed this 2x now and I believe it to be true.

Last edited:
M

Miris

Hello,
everywhere is write that fullmoon is ideal to harvest. But its only a bussiness trick. . it has only more water (and something else?) there, so flowers seems to be bigger..
fullmoon is only in a half of cycle. It has something to do with alcaloids. For home use is better to harvest at new moon - the cycle of alcaloids is finished...
I interest in Celtics. their Druids has the best knowledges about nature .)

for more informations, try WOLF DIETER-STORLs books (especially "Pflanzen der Kelten" )
http://www.storl.de/

Last edited: