What's new

Thailand Outdoor II (2007)

ThaiPhoon

This is second grow here at this location. Last season was a real eye-opener in a few ways.

My biggest boob was starting the Thais here in OCTOBER. I had just assumed that since the daylight hours don't vary that much, that I would be able to grow/flower year round...at 15N for me was not possible.

I also learned the importance of using as high quality compost/organics that I can find. I believe the demise of some of the Mississipi Muds and Johnny Blaze were down to shite dirt...perhaps a Ph issue...Anyways, this year I have higher expectations.

This year I am trying a few good organic soil recipes and using organic teas that I have read about in the organic fanatic thread here!

I am also doing my own worm farm now and preparing fresh fish emulsions. I have also read about some of the benefits of using used coffee grounds. I will be testing a soil mix that utilises a 25% mix of coffee grounds...

Here is what I have so far:

2007 Diary

Sunday May 6 2007

Planted 3 of each: Cali-O, South African Durban Poison X Skunk#1, Blue Mystic.
Seedling Mix 1:1:1 composted cow manure:perlite:coco
Soaked seeds in EM solution for approx 45 min.
Moistened soil mix with: mild aerated fish/compost tea, EM molasses water mix.

Mixed a batch of soil mix for outdoors. roughly half coco 35% composted cow manure 15% perlite
-soaked with aerated microbial fish/compost tea. Set to “cook” for a few weeks.

Wednesday May 9 2007
Cali-O #1 and Blue Mystic #3 sprouted and place outdoors in the shade.

Thursday May 10 2007

Blue Mystic #1 sprouted and place outdoors in the shade

Saturday May 12 2007

Planted 2 Laos seeds and 2 Bkk Yummy seeds. New soil mix used 1 part of soil made on Sunday May 6 2007, 1 part rice husk charcoal, 1 part used coffee grounds, 1 Part Perlite..

As of today the 12th NONE of the SADPXSkunk#1 have sprouted, and I did take the time to scour the shell and also kept them very warm and moist. So far 1 for 3 of Cali-o and 2 of 3 for Blue Mystic.

Peace

Dionysus

Interesting mix of strains! It's always been a dream of mine to get a chance to do an outdoor in some warm, tropical country and get to work with some exotic genetics. Maybe in a few years but for now I must be content with following the progress of others. :) Don't worry if you can get the SADurbanxSkunk#1 to pop... I never could get mine to sprout when I had them and I have heard many other had difficulty as well from what I read on the forums. It's always worth a try though!

Can't wait to see some pics if ya got em, especially of those Laos... Good luck!

ThaiPhoon

SUNDAY MAY 13 2007

Planted 3 old Thai seeds in place of the SADP Skunk#1 that did not grow.

TUESday May 15 2007

one of the bangkok yummy in the coffe mix has sprouted...looks kind of weird...early yet

I have put one of each of the following in to a VERY weak seaweed water mix. Cali-o Blue Mystic Mississippi Mud and a Johnny Blaze. I hope they all germ.

A little more of what I plan to do...

I have prepared a mixture similar to LC's Soiless Mix #1. I have used 5 parts of washed coconut coir 3 parts perlite and 2 parts homemade compost (mainy cow manure/rice husks)
To wet this I used a diluted compost/fish/molasses bubbled tea. I believe the tea was good because most of the bucket was bubbly foam! This mixture is setting now, I plan to use that as my base soilmix for starting seedlings and then potting them up.

Fish Emulsion.
I have attempted to create a "fish emulsion" DIY style. I found some instructions online. Basically I took two fresh "sashimi" type fish, a cup or so of molasses, a good hand full of compost/soil and a big double handful of dried rice husks and dried leaves, mixed them all together and placed in a bucket-covered. It has been about 10 days, I have mixed it everyother day or so. I don't know what it should smell like...but this mix smells a lot like alcohol or something? It's a very strong odour. The colour of the liquid looks something like liquid rust...best I can describe. Very thick as well. Has anyone had experiences making their own "fish emulsion"? I would like to know how best to use this mixture and also the best way to keep the mixture from going bad...if it hasnt already.

Urine.
I also have a few litres of urine fermenting for use later on. I am planning on adding it to some teas later on when the plants are a little bigger. Should I add urine to a bubbled tea or add the urine to a tea then bubble it along with the other ingredients? Or does it make a difference?

Porphyra (seaweed)
I found a large bag of pure dried porphyra seaweed. It is spun into the shape of a big flat donut. I have take a bunch of it, broken it up best I can by hand and stuffed it into a 2 litre milk jug. I filled the jug 3/4 full and shake it everyday. The water has gone purple. I plan to add this purple stuff to teas and use as sprays. Is this the best way to use this material? I could also add the liquid seaweed to the soil after a few more days? I am basically using the concept of making a tea using weeds with the seaweed!

Morning glory
I am doing the same thing with this as with the seaweed. I am using this plant because someone suggested that it contains some growth stimulants. I just hope that these "stimulants" are water soluble, as I am just making a fermented tea.

Bokashi
I have some EM bokashi fermenting now. This bokashi made from rice husk, rice bran, and cow manure. Using EM/molasses water to wet. Not sure the best way to use this one. I was thinking I would mix a small amount in with the LC mix #1 before a pot up...?

Other things I have access to are a) a worm farm [just started that a few weeks ago] b)bat guano (no idea of NPK) c)composted sugar cane waste [very dark brown almost like icing sugar] d) a few litres of used coffee grounds[I've read these act a buffer to keep soil slightly acidic?]

Any thoughts and suggestions about this? what materials should I use when etc?

Andyo

Veteran
8 deg N Thailand

8 deg N Thailand

I HAVE JUST STARTED GROWING IN THAILAND .WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU GET YOUR PERLITE.
HAVE YOU SEEN ANY HYDROTON.
I GEUSS FOR OUT SIDE SATIVA FROM SEED WOULD BE BEST.
I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BIULDING A 3 X 600W G/ ROOM FOR HYDRO.
ALSO AM ABOUT TO PRODUCE A FEW THOUSAND KALI MIST SEED.

ThaiPhoon

AndyO I sent ya a PM about the perlite. Great to see another Thai grower. Good luck with the indoor grow!

G

Looks like i have arrived in time :D :wave: :woohoo:
Nice selection of strains. Interested to see how your soil mix works out as i need something better for outdoors. The sadp x skunk are def old seed i got a lot of mine to germ but quite a few didn't then get above the soil. If i get a male and female i think i might make some newer seeds.
Good luck with the grow!

ThaiPhoon

Hi again neilspotshop! Good to see you here! Your indoor grows are inspiring for sure! I hope this years outdoor grow outdoes last's. That's all I can hope for!

Wednesday May 16 2007

I gotta say that I expected better germ rates with the nirvana seeds. I had them in a bit of water and then put them in the dirt when they popped. got 3/6 (one calio and 2 bluemystic) I also started one more of each in water and they havent popped yet... On the other hand the seeds I have pulled from the local thai brick germ rates are 3 /4 so far using similar technique.

I also lost one of the blue mystic sprouts, it was runty, the first round leaves did not look right and the first set of little pot looking leaves did not develop. The other BlueMystic is on its last legs as well. These plants seem to be VERY sensitive for being considered “weeds” Anyways the sickly Blue Mystic has been repotted into some new soil with dolomite lime in it. The last didnt and I suspect that may be part of the problem.

I've also got a few more old thai seeds to sprout, growing in the place of the SADP X Skunk#1 that didnt grow!

G

Thaiphoon and Andyo........I think it`s so cool that this site has such diverse members from the four corners of the earth ....I`m envious of your perfect outdoor conditions for humongous resin dripping plants....Sorry bout your seed probs Thaiphoon.......It`ll get better.......Good luck w/your indoor endeavors Andyo............Kali Mist is one of my all time favorites and yas can`t go wrong with a few thousand extra seeds...... :yummy: .....teehee.........Keep up the good work and ..........Peace........DHF........ :sasmokin:

Last edited:
B

Brother_Monk

:lurk: Right up front. I've been growing Cali-o for the past 2 years. Excellent strain IMO. What's the deal with the thai genetics? How could I get some beans of landrace thai genetics? They are so hard to come by.

:ying:

ThaiPhoon

Wow lots of interest so far...I better not fuck up totally and make an ass of myself!
well it wouldn't be the first time! lol

jaykush! Your work over on the organic fanatic collective thread has been a MASSIVE help to me! You do great work - very inspiring indeed!

Thanks for the encouragement also DEHEDFRED!

BrotherMonk- The Thai seeds are hard to come by! In the last 100g bag I bought, I got roughly 10 seeds...

A friend gave me about a quarter ounce of cannabis from Laos, those seeds haven't yet germed...I'll throw some more of them in some water too I suppose!!

Update for Today Thursday May 17 2007

The BlueMystic seedlings are done...gone....dead. shity. The four seeds I had in water are not germinating. Again I am disappointed to get a shity germ rate from seeds I purchased. The local Thai seeds are way better, even the old ones! I have one Cali - O left out of 4 seeds...the only one that germed.

I think I am gonna try and germ the rest of the SADP X skunk#1... I bought seeds to get a variety!!

I haven't got a whole lot of room outside here, and I really want to make my own seeds.

As of today I have 4 healthy Thai plants from local brick, and one Cali-O seedling. I will also be putting out a clone of the Thai plant I grew last year...the one with the strawberry type of smell. She didnt get a chance to finish last year due to my noob mistakes...

Peace everyone....I'll snap a few shots of the seedlings tomorrow... the Thai seedling growing in the 25% used coffee ground mixture is doing GREAT!

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
ThaiPhoon - looking great again, and can't wait to see what you get.

Gives me an idea...check your PMs...

ThaiPhoon

GoodNews Pics!

GoodNews Pics!

I was greeted with a surprise blessing this morning! BlueMystic#2 has sprouted!! I hope this one does better than the previous two. So fair to say 3/3 germ&sprout from BlueMystic, I'll take responsibility for killing one of the previous two that didn't make it. haha Even this seedling has an issue...the pic shows that the cotyledons haven't opened...oh well the little leaves inside them are poking out. I do hope this one pulls through!

Here is the Cali-o

And some pics of the family so far!

The one labelled BKK#2 is the one that is growing in the 25% used coffee grounds soil mix!

ThaiPhoon

ARRHG Damn Dog chewed the Cali-o...I found the plant, it is damaged, but I have transplanted it into a new cup. The dog was after the plastic cup...not the plant. I have just built the table up a few feet. It should now be completely out of the stupid dog's reach.

So on that note I dropped 3 more cali-O seeds into some tap water to germ.

I also dropped the remaining 7 SADP X Skunk#1 into water. With these I am trying an experiment. I have read that coconut milk contains some sort of enzyme. I put a few drops of 100% fresh coconut milk into about 30cc of water along with 3 of the 7 SADPXSkunk#1 seeds. We'll see what happens. Nothing to lose here I guess!

Peace

G

Healthy looking family you have there :) Interesting idea with the coconut milk! It would be great if it works. I am considering using rooting hormone on some hard to germ African seeds, but the stuff stinks so bad i am not sure i can do it.
Peace :joint:

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
:wave: Hey man, nice soundin grow u got goin...Ill def be :lurk: here...I had those SADxSk#1 seeds too, and none of them sprouted...prolly old stock, dont fret buddy, its happened to all of us!!! Later, and Peace.

- Z :sasmokin:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
Nice! I'm close to Thailand. Just germed three pure Indian sativa seeds (I made them in '05). I had 5 old Hawaiian Sativa seeds that didn't germ. Gonna pop some Jamaican Pearl as well, and I have some Cambodian seeds from a brick too! :)

ThaiPhoon

Greetings!

The SADP X Skunk#1 seeds that were placed in the coconut milk/water mix have all cracked open and the little white bit is poking out!! WOW. Let's see if they sprout now! - The ones in plain water have not cracked yet....

I think from this point forward I will be adding a few drops of coconut cream to the germination water! The trouble with it is that it clouds the water, making it difficult to see exactly what is going on with the seeds.

ThaiPhoon

There's the family today. These guys are all growing outdoors! The blue mystic (shorty) is ahead of the rest as far as developing the next set of leaves...The Thai's in the "normal" soil mix are ahead in the same respect to the the Thai in the coffee mix...They are two totally different strains though. The one in the coffee did sprout before the others...nothing concrete there though. The coffee thai is a darker green, again could be genetics...or the extra N from the coffee.

Peace

Latest posts

Latest posts