What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

can males turn hermie and produce beans ?

false

can anybody help me with this ? i realize that having females go hermie is how u get feminized seeds but im trying to save a strain and all thats left r some males . so i thought maybe i could stress em out and get them to turn and get some seeds . is this possible ? thanks in advance

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
You may be better off saving the male(s). Growing female, and transfer the pollen from the male to the female. It may not preserve the strain in it's 100% form, but you'll get some seeds with those genes.

Ganico

Veteran
I also would like to know how to make masculinized seeds, rather than feminized. I always wondered that.

I read something about "ethylene" gas from fruit peels a while back, I think they said it was supposed to turn males into females.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Fertile female flowers can be induced in male plants by ethephon (2-chloroethanephosphonic acid) and NIA 10637 (ethylhydrogen-l-propylphosphonate). Interestingly, stamens could be seen arising even from fruits. Stopping the application of growth regulators caused the plants to revert to their original sex. We hypothesized that in Cannabis, GA and ethylene act as male and female hormones respectively, and that the expression of sex is controlled by a balance between their endogenous levels. Abscisic acid (ABA) is able to overcome the GA induced male flower formation (Mohan Ram and Jaiswal 1973; Mohan Ram and Sett 1985).

G

Robert Clarke...

Crosses may also be performed to produce nearly all staminate offspring. This is accomplished by crossing a pure staminate plant with a staminate plant that has produced a few pistillate flowers due to environmental stress, or selfing the later plant.

Dr. D

Veteran
Yes its is possible as already stated, i had a male hermie on me and it produced aload of beans.... il grow em out eventually to see what they come out like

Peace

S

stonedeconomist

i may be wrong about this but if your male plant went hermi and produced seeds then all of the seeds should produce male plants because the male plant doesn't carry the extra genes a plant needs to be female the way the female carries the complete male genes and the extra genes that make her female. becuase your male plant went hermi it is likely that its offspring will carry genes that make them more likely to go hermi and when you breed them with any female the resulting offspring should be much more likely to go hermi. but i could be completely wrong about this.

G

what if u used the male hermi pollen on a female of the same strain ?

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
My select second-gen Flo male has one female bud which has about six perfect seeds currently developing nicely...:)

false

thanks 4 all the responses everybody . im gonna try it. by the way anyone know a good way to stress so they turn ?

Beetlepumpr

Did you know that men still have mammary glands. Some tribe somewhere stated that if the woman died , by stimulation the man could breast feed his child. Sounds perverted , but what the hay, i try anything to try to save it's life since no walmart was around. So the story gooooes.

G

Great question and great answers. Feminised seeds have mostly female offspring, would the opposite be true for males?

the plant has the genetics employed in the expression both male and female flowers..
the plant can be either male or female or both under the right conditions (hormones, or genetics and or enviroment, ya dig?)

masculinity and femininity are maters of expression in cannabis..

correct me if i'm wrong.. cannabis has no Y Chromosome

only genes which influence (sometimes rigidly/strongly) sexual expression

Last edited:
G

I had a blueberry male hermie on me after being revegged 3 times, rootbound to hell and stressed to blazes, he started growing female flowers on stalks out of the tops of his male flower clusters, I used his pollen to make a dozen crosses and haven't seen any hermies in the offspring grown by me or anyone I shared the beans with.

Thanks for the info Sam, always good to see you pop in and contribute as I take your word as gospel.

ibtokin

hazyfontazy said:

Im under the impression that if a male hermie is used for reproduction, the female ratio should be very high in the resulting offspring. everything should have the tendency to turn female just like female hermies turn male. the inter-sex trait is usually very dominant in crosses made with a hermie.

male hermies are very valuable and can often 'fix' a strain that has high hermie tendencies. this is natures way of surviving and keeping everything in balance.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
inter or reverse sexuality often occurs in male cannabis plants.

we've seen pure landrace Kenyan males make seed, and are plenty sure this ChitralxSkunk would have made a few seed if left to its own devices... if ya look close :wink:

The longevity of male plants is usually shorter than that of females. Male plants get less time to produce seed overall, and those that might, are often culled before maturity,,, so who knows,,, all cultivated varieties display less 'survival factor' overall, so perhaps this phenomena has been bred out of heavily cultivated lines, while it shows up in those that are less so, or then again as gypsy suggests, perhaps we know very little about male plants!!! :chin:

The only true way to tell is to find a mixed-up-male and remove all the anther, leaving only the calyx, and them inseminate the sepals with pollen (from the same source or otherwise). and record the results.

Bless up :canabis:

Last edited:
ibtokin said:
Im under the impression that if a male hermie is used for reproduction, the female ratio should be very high in the resulting offspring. everything should have the tendency to turn female just like female hermies turn male. the inter-sex trait is usually very dominant in crosses made with a hermie.

male hermies are very valuable and can often 'fix' a strain that has high hermie tendencies. this is natures way of surviving and keeping everything in balance.

You are absolutely correct, the seeds will be all female, the same as in feminized seeds, only in reverse but same results. According to DJ Short in his book entitled Cultivating Exceptional Cannabis:

" "Backward" hermaphrodites are declared males that eventually sport female flowers (as opposed to the usual female-to-male hermaphrodites). These are rare occurences, usually sterile but sometimes viable, that I found to be genetically valuable. Many resinous and desirable males exhibit this trait, which almost guarantees against unwanted hermaphroditism in subsequent generations as it also increases the female-to-male ratio in its progency."

You must have the book too ibtokin, great stuff is in there. Resinous males do sound like a trait (resin) that a female would most of the time have so it makes sense that a resinous male would sport female pistils as backward hermaphroditism.

ibtokin

slickster - nope i dont have dj shorts book, though i have been meaning to pick that up for a while. this is just knowledge that ive happened upon from years of reading through these canna-forums. i saw the book the other day at barnes and noble, i think ill go back and pick it up...

G

hazyfontazy said:

Hola hazy,

I was informed about the hermie male, known to some as a reverse male from another member at IC. This member, who is very skilled in the art of growing high quality herb, informed me that when the pollen of these reverse males are used on a female, that it essentially eliminates the whatever hermie traits are in that strain's genetic code, thereby making the filial generation completely free of hermaphroditic tendencies.

~SeñorSativa~

Latest posts

Latest posts