What's new

The Postman's Overgrown Closet Grows #2

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
As I'm starting up a new strain, I figured I'd keep track of them journal style for all my friends over hear on icmag to see. I have contributed a bit here and there in the vendor forums, but have kept my journals previously off site..

What I'm working with haha... Nothing all that fancy actually.. I thrive on symplicity, and love the fact I can produce beautiful buds without all the bells, and whistles, and investing in professional materials in a relatively small space..

I have my veg closet which is nothing more then an econo type enclosure plastic cabinet I set up for housing mothers, starting clones, and vegging for a short period when needed. As far as lighting goes here I try to complete the spectrum running 2 daylight 6500k, to every 1 2700k. I also run, and provide uvb/uva rays to all my plants from seed to harvest indoors. Basically I'm just trying to match the plants natural enviroment indoors, and trying to match nature as much as possible as far as lighting goes..
11783post_1_pic1.jpg

This is what the top shelf looks like of recent.. I have 9 rez-seeds wonder dielsel in veg, and these will be some of what I'll be growing for this journal.
11783post_1_pic2.jpg

As far as the flowering closet goes, it's nothing more then a spare bedrooms closet. It has the sliding doors, and a space around 22in. x 5ft. In that space I have used an assortment of lighting set ups in th passed, but for the summer months I'm back to dual 250's hps sitting side by side in the closet with about 1.5ft space between them which In flower I will be adding daylight cfls to maximize coverage, and to add in some blue spectrum to my flowering closet.. Attached to the back wall of the closet sitting right under the 250's hoods I have the dual bulb fluorescent fixture which holds the uvb producing bulbs.

older pic, but it's a similar setup to what I have right now minus the 4ft fluorescent fixture tht is now on the back wall right under the hps hoods
11783post_1_pic_3.jpg

This journal is going to be mostly about the wonder diesels so I'll include some info on the soil mix, and how i'm going about growing those as it does differ from my old routine which was simply 50/25/25 fox farms ocean/perlite/coco and as for ferts I used the pure blend pro, liquid karma, mollasses/sucunat, calmag (as needed), and for flower bossting I used advanced nutirnets bigbud/overdrive with great success. This round though, and what I have planned for the wonder deisels is an organic grow minimizing the need for liquid fertilizers/additives. I'm using an organic ammeded soil as explained below, and my feedings are going to be for the most part in the soil aleady, and or by top dressing with the dry organics. I will be giving a few more transplants then usual cause as the plant uses up nutirients in the soil, and fills there containers with roots, I'll be repotting to fresh healthy soil instead of feeding liquid fertilizers AMAP..

The soil mix which is a new one for me.. You see any problems please speak up!! The basis of this soil was to see what I could come up with locally instead of having to pay shipping on 100lbs of fox farms dirt which is unavailable in my area.. ouch LMAO...Been doing that far to long.

To start them off I just used the plantation seed stater mix, and transplanted into the following mix when they started to look hungry.

2 x 32quart miricle grow organics choice potting soil (or 1x 1.5 ft2 bag)
2 x 16quart plantation seed starter mix (peat, perilite, vermiclite, lime. similar to ff light warrior in consistency but minus the beneficial fungi and much cheaper)
1 x small brick of coco
1 x bag of chunky perilite (or until I say stop LOL between 16qt-32qt I'd say or until it looks good IMO. The plantation ss mix has lots of perilite already)
2c worm castings
3/4 cup pelleted lime
3/4 cup fox farms piece of mind starter organic (3.4.3 with all the beneficial fungi, and good stuff added)

I'll be repotting into the same mix for flower, but I'll add around 2tbsp per gallon more of the FF POM starter.

As far as feeding goes.. Like I said not much will be added as far as liquid ferts goes. I'll be watering with 8ml liquid karma, and 1tsp each mollases/sucunat, and sensizym as directed every watering, and take it from there.. In flower I may add in a mid flower boost, but i'll do that organically as well with a tea.... Worse case scenario, and this organic thing doesn't work out, I'll let the nutrients in the soil deplete, and will go back to my trusted pure blend pro routine.... I think I can get this to work with a little adjusting here and there, and some help from my friends along the way.

Here are the first 5 of the wonder diesel. I started 5 to start, and then went and started the remainder 5 a week or so later.. All in all 9 out of 10 sprouted, but that 10th seed was shitty fromt he start, and most likely not viable to begin with.

#1 wonder diesel
11783post_1_pic_4.jpg

11783post_1_pic_5.jpg

11783post_1_pic_6.jpg

#4 I was little worried about this ones color. I think it just has been overwatered issue.. It was the first plant I tranbsplanted, and to catch it up, and get it on the same routine as the others I repotted a few days later I gave it a watering a little prematurely.. Today the soil dried out quite a bit, and the plant has a much nicer greener coloring, and leaves are perky again
11783post_1_pic_7.jpg

11783post_1_pic_8.jpg

The other 4 are only smaller seedlings, so as I repot them, and they get a bit more size I'll start pictureing them here....

These are a few plants I have in flower now which were started with my pbpro routine, but where transplanted into the above organic mix for flowering.. So far so good

Hashberry on left, and PPP on right. these just finished their stretch, and bud set has begun
11783post_1_pic_9.jpg

hashberry
11783post_1_pic_10.jpg

Here is whats to come for the hashberry
11783post_1_pic_11.jpg

11783post_1_pic_12.jpg

ppp
11783post_1_pic_13.jpg

This is whats to come from the PPP.. Awesome purp color, and a sativa dom high to go with it... :woohoo:
11783post_1_pic_14.jpg

11783post_1_pic_15.jpg

Grapefruit x northern lights
11783post_1_pic_16.jpg

11783post_1_pic_17.jpg

Last edited:

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
Mr. Postman, bring me a treat!!!!!

Mr. Postman, bring me a treat!!!!!

:wave: Hey MP, welcome to the grow diaries forum...Your grow looks very nice man. Clean setup, and some nice strains to boot...Quick Q, are u gonna flower them in those green pots??? I have the same ones, and they are just a bit too small to take all the way through flowering...My girls are pretty rootbound right now, with a few weeks still to go...Anyhow, I'll def. be :lurk: here and pullin up a seat...See ya around man. Keep it green..HAPPY 420!!!

- Zeus :joint: :sasmokin:

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
ZeusOGrefugee said:
:wave: Hey MP, welcome to the grow diaries forum...Your grow looks very nice man. Clean setup, and some nice strains to boot...Quick Q, are u gonna flower them in those green pots??? I have the same ones, and they are just a bit too small to take all the way through flowering...My girls are pretty rootbound right now, with a few weeks still to go...Anyhow, I'll def. be :lurk: here and pullin up a seat...See ya around man. Keep it green..HAPPY 420!!!

- Zeus :joint: :sasmokin:

Thanks for the welcome, and a happy 420 to you all!!

Oh yeah without any doubt they will have to come out of those green pots before being placed into flower. I actually repott often, and into slightly larger containers every time, so they will most likely get transplanted a few times before flower.. IME doing this builds solid/thick root systems. As soon as you transplant into a new container, and the soil drys out those roots run to the perimeter of the container, and contnue to wrap around, never really returning to the soil they passed up on their run leaving empty spaces.. Repotting often into slightly larger pots builds basically walls of roots thrughout the whole soil/container instead of having the empty spaces you would have say if you transplanted from a 16oz dixie cup into your final 2-3 gallon container.. With solid root systems they can take up nutients easier, and you will not get the wet/dry spots throughout the container. Strong, and large root systems fuels the large juicy buds, and that' what we're all afta here :joint:

Next they will be transplanted into 1gal grow bags, then 2 gallon, and finally I'll be placing them into the 2.5-3 gallon pots I finish most plants in. Also with this organic grow as the soil becomes depleted it'll be important to get them into new-fresh nutritous soil, so I can keep my liquid fert feedings to the absolute minimum..

Last edited:
G

I got my :lurk: and :joint: :D
Great skills with the Camera as well as the plants!
Best of luck with the grow!

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Update on the wonder diesels: All is growing good.. Still got that one off colored plant, but the new growth is nice and green, so I'm not to worried anymore. She/he shall be just fine. So far I got 6 transplanted to larger containers, and the other three younger plants will be transplanted within the next few days. I'm already starting to see some strong inner node growth starting on the older 6, so within the next week or so I'll top clone the larger 6, and they should bush out like crazy!!
11783post_7_pic_1.jpg

Nice little bushing going already...
11783post_7_pic_2.jpg

Here are a few PPP I have vegging as well.. 1 shall be my new momma, and the others I'll flower out when, and if I have the room along with the wonder diesels.. How many get flowered depends on how many females I have of the wonder deez, so lets hope for no room LOL..
11783post_7_pic_3.jpg

And for those who find no excitement in vegging plants, here is that beautiful Grapefruit x nl have in flower.. Coming along nicely and witghin the last week or so i really noticed a nice swelling.
11783post_7_pic_4.jpg

11783post_7_pic_5.jpg

11783post_7_pic_6.jpg

Last edited:

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
feeding

feeding

Well alright.. The plants are really rockin and rollin now ...

Plants are vegging nicely with no need for added nutrition at this time, but eventually it's gonna be needed, so I figured I'd get what I have planned for them out of the way now.. Well like I said previously this is going to be my first indoor organic run , and I'm brigning some stuff I did in the passed outdoors inside, and trying to make it all work on a much smaller scale. Because of the limiting space (containers) with indoor growing, and with the demanding nature of mj for nutrients eventually the soil is going to start to get to depleted to sustain strong growth, and the soil/plants are going to need a boost. In organic growing the plants are depending on many factors for uptake of nutrients.. The organic matter has to be broken down into a usable form before being of any use to the plants, and this is all done below grown by benificial fungi, microrganisms. So not only do you need the organic material, but you need the things that can break down, and make use of the material. I plan to do this with organic teas (you can't get shit this good in a bottle )

What I need to make organic teas:

Bucket
Air pump, and diffuser wand etc..
water
organic material: Casting, guanos, kelp meal, alphalpha, shrimp-fish meals... The list can go on and on.
Unrefined sugar source: mollases, sucunat, sugar in the raw etc.

If your using tap water make sure it bubbles a good 24 hour before adding any organic material. Chlorine, and other chemicals will kill off the fungi/organisms.. Basically what you do is add the organic matterial wether it be guanos, bone/blood meals, kelp to the water. To this you add an unrefined sugar source such as mollasses to feed the fungi/microrganisms in the oganic material. You bubble the mixture 24/48 hours or until a nice thick head of foam sits on top of your tea.. that foam right ther is the good shit!! That foam shows your tea is alive, and all the good shit in the organics is actively reproducing (those are whats going to break down your organics in the soil, and turn them into usable nutrients for the plant)..

I use 2 gallons of water at a time.. If you only need a gallon cut the recipe, or add as needed... I try to use 1 brew for one watering as this stuff needs to be bubbled to stay alive.. DO NOT store the brew in sealed containers!! Kablam worm, and bat shit bomb LOL..

Early vegg (seedlings)
2 gallons water bubbled 24 before adding organics
2 tbsp earth worm castings
15 ml liquid karma
2 tbsp mollases

Vegg feeding when hungry!!
2 gal +1 can of beer Bubbled 24 hour before adding organics (beer is not needed but it adds yeasts, sugars, b1 etc. food for soil. Yu can get really creative with teas LOL)
1/2 cup fox farms POM starter 3-4-3
2 tbsp worm castings 1-0-0
15 ml liquid karma
2 tbsp mollasses.

Flower
2 gal water 1 can of beer bubbled 24hr before adding organics.
1/2 cup fox farms pom starter 3-4-3
2 tbsp Maxicrop powdered kelp 1-0-4
2 tbsp high p guano
15ml liquid karma
2 tbsp. Molasses

These are just a few I plan to use, but shit the different ingredients, and possibilities are endless.. Even if your growing in soil, coco whatever and want nothing to do with tea making.. Make at least 1 as basic as earth worm casting, and mollases bubbled until you get that foam on top and added to your soil mix as soak would be extremely beneificial to your plants, and their ability to use nutrients.

My soil is already ammended with good organics, so the use of these teas hopefully will be minimal.. In the past I would use a tea every 3rd or 4rth watering as a boost with good results (in ground outdoor growing)... We'll see, but should be some fun stuff anyway... (Next time I make a tea I'll document with pics, and add them to this post)

more on extracts later

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
extracts

extracts

In the other organic tea post I mentioned extracts.. This is something that has been done on my families organic vegstable crops for years. Like teas there are many possibilities fruit, veggies, organic materials all have hormones, stimulants, and trace nutrient elements contained within. These can benefit your plants health, and soil health a great deal..

Basically you harvest the root ball of the specific variety your growing, and you extract the benificial microganisms, biostimulants, hormones etc.. In this case it's marijuna. So after harvest what you do is harvest your roots, and stem material. Leave some soil on your roots as this will infuse the extract with benificials that particularly thrive on that particular species of plant.. Upon harvest bag your root ball and save it until your ready to make your extract tea.

Things you need:
food processor / blender
Ice
water
mollasses
and your organic materials.

Take a gallon of water, and place it in the freezer until ice forms on top in a thin layer, but it's not frozen solid. While your water is chilling take your frozen root ball material, and place it into a food proccessor.. Grind it all up untill it's mealy or at least chopped up into smaller material... Place this rootball material into a blender, and add ice cubes, along with your ice water. Blend for 5-10 minutes or until thoroughly blended, and broken down..

Take that gallon of mixed root ball material, and bubble it as you would any organic tea for 24-48hrs or until foam begins to build on top (previously described in earlier thread). Strain out the solids, and you can use this as a soil drench, or mix it 3/1 with water and use as a foliar feed. I plan to use something like this as I'm entering the flowering cycle.. Becasue the rootball was from a flowered plant after harvest the hormones, and biostimulants present in this extract are benificial, and focused to this time period in the plants life. Also the foam that forms will be a species of fungi/organisms that specifically thrive on marijuana roots.

Extracting fruit/veggie extracts:

another benificial extract is those made of fruits/veggies... Ever hear of a product called bananamanna $50 per gallon? LOL... fruit extracts, and stimulants nothing much more.. Take your banana, mangos, guava etc... Add to them an equal part of mollasses, or refined sugar... Mash up, and let sit for 3-4 days or until you see molds, liquid, and smell an overally sweet, alcohol smelling liquid. Strain out the solids, and the liquid that is left is your extract.. Mix your extract 3/1 with water, and add 10-20ml per gallon, or dilute 20/1 and drench the soil. This can be done with any fruits, any veggies, and possibilities are endless.. Banana fruit and peals though contain potassium which makes them a great extract for the flowering period.

Also pue blend pro users... If your using pure blend pro, liquid karma, sweet etc. you can turn your nutes into a living blend by making a tea with it.. This is how they would sell the stuff if they were able to bottle it without it exploding. Becasue pbpro is a synthetic/organic blend bubbling it for 24-48 hours like described reactivates, and reproduces the beneifial organisms that will break down the organic part of the solution... Basically your making a super pure blend pro formula.. One much more able to break down, and make use of the organic nutrients being fed at a faster rate.. I'm looking into it, and may do some experiments eventually, but I'm sure you can cut down on the amount of feedings needed by doing this tea process.

Last edited:

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Hey man your plants are awesome. Thanx for posting the organic info, I'll try some of those on my next go. Looking forward to the PPP, I have that strain myself. Good luck with your grow.

B/R

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Black Ra1n said:
Hey man your plants are awesome. Thanx for posting the organic info, I'll try some of those on my next go. Looking forward to the PPP, I have that strain myself. Good luck with your grow.

B/R

Thanks Black Ra1n, and it's my pleasure to share as much as I can along the way here. Glad you found some interest in the organics, and teas that can be made.. Really the ingredients you can use for them are endless.. It's not only for guanos, and meals, go through and look up nutrient contents of different fruits-veggies. What they offer us as far as nutrients they offer the soil-plant when used in teas.. The tea making process activates all the enzyms, and microrganisms which are able to break down, and make use of the ingredients used.

if you have not checked out the organic soil section here on icmag, I highly recommend to read through the sticky's on the top of that section.. I found Lots of good info, and some different ways of brewing organic teas, and making extracts. It lists some of the benifits of certain ingredients which are readily used, and gets into much more detail then I ever I could..

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Hey Postman, that's some great reading, good posts. I love that you feed your plants beer, that's classic. :sasmokin:

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
bounty29 said:
Hey Postman, that's some great reading, good posts. I love that you feed your plants beer, that's classic. :sasmokin:

Hehe as I'm making my teas, it's like 2 for me 1 for you :yummy:LOL...

i wouldn't dump beer right into the soil, although growing up I learned from an alcoholic farmer, so that was done plenty LMAO... He'd drink a case a day, and then go out into the sun to work the crops, and pass the fuck out LMAO... He always preached about beer, and rabbit shit though... oh the memories...

It does contain alcohol, and that may be counter productive to the benificials, but when making teas, it does add some good shit for the benificals to feed on.. Once it gets added to the water, and bubbled for 24-48hrs like chlorine the alcohol is gone, and whats left is the carbohydrates, yeasts, starches... All good shit for the benificals to feed on during the tea making process..

Last edited:

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
very nice, my friend!!!!I like the teas..very good read. Thanx for the great info. Ill be hangin around here for sure!!!!peace

- z

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Grapefruit x northern lights is coming along really nicely.. Within the last few weeks the top cola diameter has about doubled, and it's fillin in nicely. Been running this plant for a few rounds now, and finally I got her dialed in.. Trichome production is much higher on this plant, then on previous clones I flowered out of her, so I'm pleased..

11783post_15_pic_1.jpg

11783post_15_pic_2.jpg

11783post_15_pic_3.jpg

Last edited:

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Awesome plant man.... she looks pretty damn happy with all those organics you've been feeding her.

B/R

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Alright... I repotted the three younger wonder diesels, so now I have 9 total all on their way and vegging nicely. Just that one has given me problems so far, and I just think for some reason it's hungrier then the others. Either a heavy hand with the water, or a slight difference in soil got me on the wrong track with that one.

Just before taking this pic I did water, so a few do have a slight droop.. Temps been really hot here, and I've been having to water almost everyday.. Not an ideal situation when the plan was to grow organically, repotting often to supply nutrinets that way.. Not only that, but at this time I really don't have room for the size pots I would need to pull it off, so I'm gonna have to start feeding. I started bubbling water for an orgnic tea, and will document a bit of that below.
11783post_17_pic_1.jpg

Here is what's on the menu for these young ladies (hopefully:D ). It's just a real basic organic tea for vegging.. This is my first time trying this fox farms piece of mind, so it's a new recipe.. Lets just see how things go... It looks to be a solid product though, it has the guanos, kelp.. ahh see for yourself I'll snap a pic. To that I added the liquid karma, earth worm castings, and the mollasses, and succunat for the benificials to feed on.
11783post_17_pic_2.jpg

11783post_17_pic_3.jpg
11783post_17_pic_4.jpg

I wrote a bit about tea a few posts back here in my journal, so if you missed that go back and READ IT!! hehe.

water has been bubbling for a good 24 hours.. This takes some of the chlorine, and other crap out of the water.. Since I'm only feeding 6 of the 9 plants I'm only gonna make a gallons worth of tea, but I put in 1.5 gallons as some will be evaporated out over the next two days it's bubbling
11783post_17_pic_5.jpg

On the box of fox farms starter it calls for 1 cup per gallon for tea, but that sounded awfull high to me, and becasue it's the first feeding I dropped that down to 1/3 a cup. To that 1 added the liquid karma.. i actually meant to put in 10ml, but slipped or had a tic or something and dumped a good 20ml in LOL.. Since i cut the dose of fox farms, and I added an extra half gallon in the beginning I just let it go. Liquid karma is really good shit anyway LOL:p. I added 2 tablespoons of earth worm casting.. I love earth worm castings.. That's were most of the good beneficials, and enzyms get added to the brew..To that I added 1 tablespoon each of mollasses, and sucunat. And here is what you get... Looks gross, but you can't get this good stuff in a bottle;)
11783post_17_pic_6.jpg

Only 10 hours (pic below) into the brew process the foam on top is already starting to form. As those benieficials began to reproduce by 24 hrs there will be about a 1/2-1 inch thick head of foam covering the brew, and that is when it's done. I will check ph of this once done, and will keep it between the 5.8-6.5 range just becasue I can, and becasue I'm not to sure how well my soil could buffer an out of range solution.. Rather be safe then sorry.. (I'll update with a pic of the tea when done)
11783post_17_pic_7.jpg

The directions called for 1-2 cups per plant, but becasue my plants are young, and I'm new to this fox farms fertilzer I'm going to go ahead and get the soil good and moist, and then pour in my cup of tea. Once I know how they handle this, and how they respond I'll get an idea for how often I have to feed them.. Basically feed them, and wait till they show signs of hunger again. If they do good, then I start increasing doses.. I'll repot them once more in veg, and then into their final pots they go right before flowering.

A lil sample off a Pure Power Plant..
11783post_17_pic_8.jpg

And a lil something I'll be putting together very shortly;) .. Anyone up for a fluorescent garbage can scrog? Had this stuff sitting in my garage for months.. Finally I'm gonna put it to use... it's like everything i look at I picture growing in it, and how I can make it work LMAO
11783post_17_pic_9.jpg

My grapefruit x northern lights enjoying every last bit of that 250hps
Check out the young hashberry peeking in on this pic in the back. I love hashberry.. It's such a happy plant.. really easy to grow
11783post_17_pic_10.jpg

Last edited:
G

The vegging plants are looking good, and Wow the grapefruit x northern lights looks great ! Looks like a good way to make tee. I may have to give it ago.

Come On I Want To See A Fluorescent Garbage Can Scrog!! :D

Pimpslapped

Beautiful plants as always Mr. Postman. I'm very much a lurker but have been following the Overgrown Closet #1 for a while now, that took a while to read through.

Mister Postman said:
And a lil something I'll be putting together very shortly;) .. Anyone up for a fluorescent garbage can scrog? Had this stuff sitting in my garage for months.. Finally I'm gonna put it to use... it's like everything i look at I picture growing in it, and how I can make it work LMAO
u-9.jpg

Reminds me of the early days in school when I first started smoking. Everything I saw I was figuring out how to turn it into a pipe or a bong.

I've thought about using a trashcan before, just seems like too much of a PITA to pull the plants out and I haven't figured a simple method of adjusting the height of the lights/plants that I'm happy with. Good luck! I'm sure you can do it.

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Pimpslapped said:
Reminds me of the early days in school when I first started smoking. Everything I saw I was figuring out how to turn it into a pipe or a bong.

I've thought about using a trashcan before, just seems like too much of a PITA to pull the plants out and I haven't figured a simple method of adjusting the height of the lights/plants that I'm happy with. Good luck! I'm sure you can do it.

Oh yeah I had my fare share of two liter home made mega bongs.. So how many of your parents vases have you gone through trying to put holes in? LMAO

Yeah it's going to be a pain in the ass if, and when I have to get in there... Havn't come up with a 100% solution to that yet. I may just put a hole in the side if worse comes to worse.. It's pretty much up an running though :woohoo: ... I put a 6in 250cfl inline ehaust in the top, and have 4 pvc elbows along the bottom for passive intake.. If worse comes to worst I have another inline to use for an intake, but thought that was a bit overkill. I put the light cord through the side of the the exhaust, so I just pull it up to get the right hieght (it's very tight, so will not fall).. I put a hook dead center, so the lights hang in the middle.. I use those y adapters so with one fixture I'm running 4cfls.. 2- 26w -6500k, and 2- 226w 2700k for now.

Only thing I'm questioning now is how exactly I'm going to grow the plants.. Am I gonna plant into seperate containers, a tub, right into the garbage can with drainage out the bottom.. How am I gonna flush if I have too.. Am I gonna scrog, am I gonna etc. etc. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them..

All in all with what I got already I know I'll have some plants rockin in there in no time... i got two nice ppp, or hashberry clones to choose from..

PPP joint to puff on while I ponder :joint: :chin:
11783post_20_pic_1.jpg

11783post_20_pic_2.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts