What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another Sensi Star grow from seed, looking for the Ogre

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
You’ve probably seen plenty of threads on this darling strain already, so here’s another one! Let’s start from the beginning.

I grew Sensi Star a few years ago, and held on to one of the higher yielding Indica phenos. Even though I kept one mother, I only did that one grow. I had seven females out of one pack that I turned into trees, so the stash lasted for a while.
A friend of a friend grows Sensi Star as well, which I’ve toked on. To be quite honest, I think his pheno was better than my keeper. The high just had something extra to it. So maybe I made a bad choice or just didn’t get that special kicker in my pack. I’ve skimmed through a number of Ogre threads (Ogre is a freak pheno of SS), and none of my Sensis ever matched the yield or high descriptions of that pheno. So, my SS mother went into the flowerroom, and I decided to start 2007 with a new pack of Sensi Stars. Who knows, perhaps a new Ogre in there (that will be named Shrek).

I picked up the seeds in a shop behind Amsterdam’s red light district (sorry OP, none of the strains I asked you for that day were in stock). Customs almost found them on my return, but I do know how to hide them (I hope they’re reading this, fucking loosers). I dropped the seeds in a glass of lukewarm water, kept them there for half a day, then germed them between moist cotton wads (which I consider superior for germination to paper towels). They germed within 24h, all except one, and nine sprouts went into cups filled with BioBizz all-mix.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
He knows how to pick winners, I think you're all good with that cut LIMELIGHT.
As they grew and asked for food, I started out with trial doses of BioBizz Fish-mix, and Plagrons’s root booster, called Roots. I love this stuff and feed all seedling and clones with it. It contains mainly humus, is black as tar, smells great, and sells for half the price of Canna’s Rhizotonic. It makes the roots go wild.

I mist regularly through infancy, and as they get bigger I foliar feed various different products. Fulvic acids, occasional treats of superthrive, Plagron’s phyt-amine, etc. From week three and until harvest I also add Atami’s ATA XL, which is something similar to Liquid Karma (unavaible in Europe), a coctail of carbohydrates, vitamins, amino acids and natural plant hormones

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
No OCD, just a pair of green thumbs and good, stable genetics. Here they are in late veg and still the same uniformity.

As the plants grow and ask for bigger pots, I mix some coco into the all-mix. The coco retains the water slightly better than the all-mix, and gives me some more slack in watering.

Sensi Stars are nute hogs and I found myself constantly increasing the doses. Running mostly perpetual grows in both growrooms, my problem has never been slow growth (depending on strain), but rather keeping them down until the flowerroom's free. This is no problem with the Sensi Star though, she's so compact and behaved under the fluos. They did try to grab the light, pull it down and eat it though.

In end veg, I discovered spider mites (which I thought I’d nuked out of my growroom a couple of months earlier), among my mothers. I therefore had to rethink the rest of the grow. I sprayed them with Dicofol (which is okay in veg) once, and then continued treating with Brimex, Neem oil and Chili spray. Some of them got burned by the dicofol and one plant lost it's top cola (with the same effect as if I topped it). I will keep high air humidity and low temps all through flower, it will probably be okay (thinking about fungi) since the Sensi Star doesn’t grow that thick colas. Lucky me I’not growing Blockhead.

A.N.Other

Wow. AWESOME uniformity on those. Growth structure, leaf structure, everything looks the same! :eek: Looks great. Look forward to the flowering shots!

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Yes, great genetics. But once flowering starts for real, it'll change. Here they are on day 9 in flower.

I hoped to be able to tell sex from pre-flowers before going into flower, but the Sensis were in no hurry, so all nine plants went in under a single 600w HPS with reinforced blue spectrum (because of space issues) when the first alternating internodes appeared. Preflowers were only a couple of days away. The thing was, even though the primordia did give an idea of which were staminate or pistillate, the first hairs appeared before the first balls. There were no particular difference in height between males and females, so I just had to wait them out.

Male or female, have your pic.

Female.

My favourite plant in terms of phenotype turned out to be male. Bummer!

Once the chop was over (no pics of the kill, censored due to parental advisory) I ended up with 6 females out of 9 plants, which is quite decent.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Here we are four days later (day 14 in flower) with the six remaining candidates for the Miss Sensi Star competition, and as you can see, things are starting to happen.

As the first week of flower sets in, I feed the plants vegetative nutrients, and when the first flowers form I change the diet. In this grow, I'm using BioBizz food (Bio-Grow, Bio-Bloom), some No Mercy’s liquid bat Guano, and General Hydroponics Bio Bloom as flower booster. I like to play around with nutrients, trying as many as I can. It turned out to be all organic this time around, for no particular reason. The Sensi Stars keep crying for more food though, and BioBizz nutrient chart isn’t really good for much when it comes to hungry Indicas.

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
Good show so far mate :yes: Lovely clean environment.

If she turns out anything like Maxomi's SS you'll have yourself a keeper for sure. :yoinks:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I think I need more light and an extremely dialed-in set up to touch Maximo's outstanding colas Alex-F. I don't think I ever saw a pure Sensi Star pic of his, just his legendary White Widow X Sensi Star. I would like to though.

Day 23 in flower. As you can see, all ladies are perky and happy to show their buds. There hasn't been a lot of hits on this thread so far, but I know you're waiting for the hardware. It's coming...

Come on Sensi Star fans, chime in. I would love to see some pics of that pheno you’ve got LIMELIGHT. After all, this thread is about the Ogres out there.

I haven't seen a SS pheno that can be classified as high yielding. Still, I remember Rezdog saying once that it yields well, and a few other posters have expressed the same opinion. I guess the Ogre is the proof of it, if it is 100% Sensi Star.

Last edited:

-VT-

Voluptuous Trichomes
Veteran
Lookin great Rosy Cheeks...glad you like amending with coco :D
never tagged any of your threads before...I'm on this one
:lurk:

peace​

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Perkele, those are some fat Sensi Stars Farmer John! I see you went for the Indica pheno, I can't blame you.
I've basically come across two phenos. One Indica pheno, one hybrid/skunk pheno. In my first Sensi Star grow, the Indica pheno outdid the hybrid/skunk pheno on all fronts. It ate more, grew bigger and taller, yielded better, was less sensitive to abuse (I could go closer with the lights). As to the high, it’s a matter of taste. But if you grow an almost pure Indica, I suppose you want the Indica pheno, more or less. The exception is the Ogre. From what I've seen on pics, the Ogre seems to classify as the hybrid/skunk pheno (the high described as no couchlock, well balanced high), although the yield is outstanding compared to the lower than average yield I got out of my hybrid/skunk phenos. An elite cut for sure.

On day 31 in flower, I discovered that one of my hybrid/skunk phenos grew some nanners on the top cola. I pulled them out, and if I do get some seeds it's not the end of the world. It could have been my fault and not the genetics. I did leave the growroom door open one night by mistake and some light could have fallen on the plant. I will not clone this plant though.

Nice to see you around VT, shake those voluptious Trichs for me, will ya!

Last edited:

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
Ummm, not exactly indica pheno, stretches a lot and the buds are fluffy (they look dense but are not) these plants are from a few years back, was a special crop. Oh yeah, and that SS like many others I got from Underground so he did the selecting..:wave: Oh yeah, and also most of the SS i've grown pops nanners.

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Farmer John said:
Ummm, not exactly indica pheno, stretches a lot and the buds are fluffy (they look dense but are not)...
that SS like many others I got from Underground so he did the selecting... Oh yeah, and also most of the SS i've grown pops nanners.

I wouldn't go with his cuts in that case, because out of the two packs of Sensi Stars I've grown, only one plant has shown nanners. It shouldn't be hard at all to find a keeper that doesn't hermie. Hell, I wouldn't even share a hermie plant with a grower friend, even if it was an Ogre.

I call it the Indica pheno simply because the plant behaves like an Indica (eats like a hog, grows fat, thick leaves. The hybrid/skunk pheno has skunk-shaped fan leaves, but grows shorter!), but I suppose the slight Sativa genetics must show up somewhere.

Day 38 in flower, we're getting fatter!

Farmer John

Born to be alive.
Veteran
It's not a hermie bro and it happens in late flowering, actually most of the SS I've grown, different cuts and seed, are and have been very sensitive and they dont grow nanners every time, and well, OHxSk#1 tends to do it, actually it will freak out completely if you do somethung wrong but it's amazing herb and thats the reason why I keep them around but dont get me wromng I dont breed with them and if I do, I do it only for my own pleasure...anyhoo, those plants look good, just like the ones I've had, seems like theres not much variation in the seeds old or new..hmm..I should have a mother going on somewhere lol., not here at home thats for sure..

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Well, I hope I don't have to pick nanners out of all these ladies, but it didn't happen on my last SS grow so I cross my fingers.
Not much variation as you said FJ, but there's still a distinct difference between the two basic phenos. Here's a hybrid/skunk pheno fan leaf, she likes to dress in slim fit and light green.

Next is the Indica pheno, she's more of a classic Indica baggy fit dark green type of girl.

I've been keeping the bulb kind of close, and while the Indica plants love it, the hybrid/skunk girls are now reacting, and I can see that I've burned quite a few top and fan leaves. That in itself could be the reason for the nanners (heat stress). I don't want to give the Indicas less light than they want though, so I will have to try to push they hybrid/skunks towards the sides and keep the Indicas right under the bulb. There will be quite a yield difference in the end between these two phenos. The Indicas are already way ahead.

We'll have to see about the taste later philo, but I can already smell that familiar lemony scent.

D

DJ_highst_

Nice grow Rosy. Too bad you're not in the Bay Area. Ogre can be had very easily. I have only one in veg along with some other strains from the same source and the OGRE is vegging far superior to the others. Really bushy and thick stems. Not sure how it will yeild in flower, but its structure in veg looks like it could support enourmous nugs. good luck with the rest of the grow.

wes_harding

nice grow....and where in the bay area has ogre clones?....dear god i hope you respond to this....

for ogre how long is flower period ???

i love sensi star.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Day 44 of flower and things are shaping up. I don’t remember if the Sensi Star put on a lot of weight in the last few weeks, but they’ve been growing steadily, no mid-grow stunt, and they will finish as average/low (hybrid/sativa pheno) to average (Indica pheno) yielders.

The hybrid/skunk phenos did get too much light and perhaps a tad too much food as well, the top fan leaves are going crisp and yellow. I’m taking notes on that if I save a hybrid/skunk pheno, it needs to be grown with a bit more delicacy than what I’ve been doing. It actually needs its own feeding ratios, since its more spit than swallow. The Indica phenos drink straight from the bottle though.

hybrid/skunk pheno

Indica pheno

Indica pheno

Indica pheno

I think I'm going to concentrate on the Indica phenos from now on, because that's where it's happening. Apart from that, the expected spider mite invasion has not happened, praise to the cultivation gods. I sprayed them with a combination of Brimex, Neem oil and red pepper tea in early flower, and I’ve continued spray them with red pepper tea every four days. Not a single mite has been seen on them sofar in flower, and I saw a few in late veg. The plants were basically very healthy going into flower though, and that’s what makes all the difference in them resisting the mite attacks. I see it in my mothers, as soon as they get a bit rootbound or unhappy from vegging too long, they immediately fall pray to mites and other pests.

Last edited: