What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Light: Hardening off, Myth or Fact Discussion.

Truth

The purpose of this thread is to discuss whether you believe hardening off plants to light is actually worth anything at all. from my experience, I could throw a seedling under a 400w or even a 1000w and it wouldn't have any ill effects. It is my belief that if your temps, rh, and everything else is optimal, then you shouldn't have any problems. of course, the larger lights for seedlings is not necessary because it is just a waste of electricity. Even moving a plant from indoor to outdoor, shouldn't have any ill effects, even if it was grown under floro's...as long as the temps are proper. so basically what I am saying is light intensity doesn't hurt, it can only help, except perhaps maybe enough intensity to bleach your plants, but even then with indoor lighting, you can just move the lights farther away. with outdoor cannabis, it gets relatively the same intensity from the sun as a seedling from the start in summer. You can obviously start seedlings in direct sunlight, and that is what is best for them anyways. I really think people are confusing light intensity with temperature in regards to this. light intensity can up the temperature, however if you have proper cooling or good weather, it shouldn't be a problem.

NorCal

Veteran
ive had plants inside under cfl's and then took em out to give em some sun for a few hours only to come back to wilted plants, so yeah im sure it is becuase of the light and i live in an overcast area so light intensity isnt always so strong. so in my experience your theory doesnt quite hold up, i could be wrong but thats my personal experience.....

motaco

Old School Cottonmouth
Veteran
double down on what nor cal said. its a reality.

we have way high humidty. like 80-100 percent almost year round. good for seedlings, they'll still crisp up.

same thing under 600's if they are too close. like as close as you would during flower will fry them.

you never noticed outdoor bud has thicker plant material? like thicker calyx skin than indoor bud? its because they are hardened.

Last edited:

Guest423

Veteran
i never harden off clones going from indoors to outdoors.

best growth from seed or clone i've ever witnessed is from 1000w lights.

i've planted seedlings outdoors though and came back to find some crisp seedlings...but that was a hot bright day. on cool bright days there is no problem.

Truth

yes I should have included clones also. they would have a higher success rate under larger lights, but you can't plant seedlings on a hot dry 90F+ day, because the temps the plants absorb from just sitting in the sun will be much warmer, and with the average 300-600 outdoor co2 ppm, I can't see anything over 90F being good for any plant even (although many commercial and outdoor varieties endure this all the time in the summer). But I think if you watered with cold water on a hot day (watering early morning would help), you should be able to help keep the temps down a little, because if it is hot and dry enough, you could lose serious moisture. the discussion wasn't more towards seedlings, but more towards clones or vegged plants, such as some people going from floro's to HID, and raising the light so the intensity is lower. if the plants are healthy, and the conditions right, light intensity shouldn't matter.

Last edited:
G

I've never had a problem going from flouros to HIDs but putting plants outdoors from indoors is another matter. Even tomato plants should be shaded for a few dayz before they get planted in full sun. Ask any farmer, he'll tell ya.