What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In-Depth SCROG Method by BigFatJ

Here's what i have left of the SCROG method posted by BigFatJ on OG. Slightly edited for continuity and using pics from a grow implementing his ideas. A very effective method indeed...may it be useful info for those who SCROG :joint:

Original O.G. Post by BigFatJ:

When I know my plants are nicely rooted, I top my plants at 6-8" each. I like to have 8 or 9 tops at 12" when I put the screens on. I put my screen on when my girls are at about 12" and the screen height is about 9". I give them a day or two to recuperate, and then I go 12/12. At day 3 to 5 of 12/12 I usually do another training where I'm taking all the shoots that are ahead and bringing them back down to screen level. The plant will produce much more if all the growth tips are on the same level. I top a few weeks pre flower at 6-8" high. I then try to let all my branches grow to 12" before I bend them over so they are all on the same growing plane(8-10" from the top of the pot). You want as many growth shoots to be at the same height as possible for a good ScrOG. When I top my plants I take the top 5". I do this for 2 reasons. I clone the top shoot, and the other is a little more complicated. The theory is that a plant needs X amount of root system to support X amount of foliage. When I take away say 1/4 of the plants foliage the natural response should be to concentrate its energy on replacing canopy and not growing roots. Now when I top the plant the top shoots seem to stall for a few days allowing the rest of the lower shoots to catch up. This is exactly the growth I want just before training to a screen. I wait till day 2 to train so the girls have a day to adjust to new environs and 12/12 HPS cycle. As you can see, their training is quite harsh. The outside bud sites are much taller than the inner ones, so I want to bend all the tall ones over now to let the shorter ones catch up. I try to have the whole screen full when I switch to 12/12, and I do tie down the one or two strays that are growing faster, or too close to one another.

Use up the sturdy twists. If you just tuck stems under the screen they will be back up where you don't want them in an hour or so. Don't be scared or afraid here. You can bend the stems 180 degrees, and sometimes they will crease in spots, but you’re doing the right thing. Aim those shoots where the screen is sparse and it will fill up quick. Too many shoots is the right amount. If I have to cut a few tops back again to let others catch up I do. If you can't bend the fan leaf out of the way, then cut off any fan leaves that are shading bud sites. Your growing buds not leaves, so don't feel bad about it. I usually have the whole screen full when I go into flower.

I used to cut off everything below the screen, but now I leave the leaves, and cut off any shoots before they start to bud. Cut off any shoots that don't look like they are going to make it up to the screen. The left behind leaves become little energy reserves for the canopy, and since I am taking fan leaves from the top whenever they are blocking light, it makes sense to leave the lower leaves on. That big fan leaf got to go. Try first to tuck it under the screen, but if it’s still blocking a bud site then cut it off. The leaf could be a valuable nutrient reserve for your plant down the road, but MJ likes nothing better than bright direct sunlight, and that is what you’re giving it. My girls do love the trimming. I start pruning the shoots that aren’t going to make it to the screen when the girls are still vegging. These shoots just end up being little sucker buds that eventually get no light, and use up energy that could go to the canopy. I do start trimming the lower bud sites during Veg, but don't end up taking them all until I'm into flower. Once you know which ones aren’t going to make it to the screen it gets easier to prune. Allowing your plant to devote more of its nutrients to the top shoots during late veg/early flower will = more bud sites where you want them, and more buds down the road.

Leaves below the screen must be checked every day. Anything that is in the dirt or is about to be must be removed. A leaf left to die in the dirt is an open invitation to mold and mites. You can easily adjust your posts to make a stadium or bowl affect. I had mold on my second grow ever. Let me tell you that losing 3 months work is mighty painful. It was a lesson though. By just keeping an eye out for leaves in your soil, having good air circulation/exchange, and keeping the actual grow space clean, you will beat the enemy.

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
Heres mine,

8381DSC00978.JPG

8381DSC00928.JPG

8381DSC00937.JPG

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
heres his scrogg tutorial as saved from OG

iva had this in my gallery since i joined

Okay, my space is seriously height-limited but has a fair amount of horizontal dimension. So, how's this for a SCROG'ing configuration strategy?

a) Determine height requirement for growing medium (i.e. container full of coco, DWC bucket, ebb & flow tray, drip table, etc.)

b) Test temperature around lamp and figure out minimum safe distance away from bulb.

c) Subtract two numbers and consider that the "grow space".

This part seems pretty basic. What I'm sort of confused about is how to gauge how much screen will be required and how to juggle that with the strain itself. I'm leaning towards using Megagarden ebb & flow rig that's 22" x 22 x 22 x 10".

mega-garden-large.jpg

I suppose I can get 3 x 3 6" net pots situated in there and start with some minimally-vegged (i.e. short) clones. LST has been my height maintenance method of choice so far. That's with separate hand-watered troughs full of coco, though.

So, it sort of freaks me out that I won't be able to move separate pots around and that I won't be able to get in there and tie the girls down after I've started. With all that said, the final questions are... do I simply accept the horizontal/vertical space limitations and resort to topping if I run out of screen space to arrange'm? Secondly, when one SCROGs, how are the branches arranged in the screen? Are the branches to be weaved into the grid continuosly? Or, does the plant go through the screen from the bottom just once and then grow vertically?

Weaving would take up too much horizontal space and growing vertically without some control measure seems like a dicey proposition.

Thanks,

mtnjohn

Veteran
^^^^^^
do a search for "scw" and read the article...it will answer your questions

mj

thc43

Veteran
scroggers an odd breed

veg

day 1

Pgr hromone scrog

no hormone scrog 2x plants 2x 600s

initial training to get plants growing side ways.

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
You can go for the uber-scrog method, where you construct your screen using laser-
drilled CO2 tubing and watch the unbelievable growth of flowers!!!

The CO2 tubing isn't very expensive at all, but it a bit harder to make into a screen
than regular twine....but this gets lots more CO2 into that canopy, which tends to get
over-crowed with floral clusters.....

This CO2-scrog method is an adaptation of my "CO2 training" philosophy, in which
branches are physically tied to CO2 tubing.....it is amazing to see huge buds actually
physically envelop the tubing on to which they are tied.....

Awesome scrog thread everybody!!!!

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

thc43

Veteran
hey guineapig

interesting idea with the co2 screen, personally i use shop bought trellis $2.50 per meter 1200mm wide. a hook in each corner and cable ties to pull tight.

i would have thought co2 would sink below the screen where there is little folige maby missing the target. a good idea if you can deliver to the right place im sure Ive never needed to go down that path of co2.. Im told could be wrong here co2 doesnt do alot in flower mainly used to speed the veg period while reducing stretch...

soo many different styles of scrogging out there thesed days...

NorCal

Veteran
guineapig said:
You can go for the uber-scrog method, where you construct your screen using laser-
drilled CO2 tubing and watch the unbelievable growth of flowers!!!

The CO2 tubing isn't very expensive at all, but it a bit harder to make into a screen
than regular twine....but this gets lots more CO2 into that canopy, which tends to get
over-crowed with floral clusters.....

This CO2-scrog method is an adaptation of my "CO2 training" philosophy, in which
branches are physically tied to CO2 tubing.....it is amazing to see huge buds actually
physically envelop the tubing on to which they are tied.....

Awesome scrog thread everybody!!!!

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

this is exactly what ive been thinking of doing but i just cant seem to think up the design in my head and have yet to see a tutorial on it, definitely very interesting concept though.....

pico

Veteran
"co2 doesnt do alot in flower mainly used to speed the veg period while reducing stretch"

CO2 sure has made a big difference in my flowering plants. I think everyone that uses CO2 will disagree with you.

But yeah the CO2 scrog screen thing is a bit too crazy for me. I like burners anyways and fans to keep CO2 mixed in the air.

This site and you guys continue to amaze me. The one person who knows what I'm up to is convinced that that I'm a natural born farmer and that I have some sort of mystical connection with the plants. What he can't figure out, though, is how I "invent" my technology out of seemingly nowhere. That magic is all the good advice that I get from y'all.

THANKS,

P.S. Are there any particular strains or general types of strains that are especially suited to this growing style? Again, I'm very height-limited. My space is triangular and I'm using 400W HIDs. The current plan is to go with a commercial ebb & flow rig because the height off the floor is minimal and the technique seems relatively simple for this advanced newbie.