What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Thai Stick Test Grow

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Some of you may remember this monster Thai stick from a while back:

I've salvaged a few seeds over the last few months, both from the stick, and from the contact I got it from (they didn't need them and I did!), and I'm attempting to germinate some batches now - with mixed results. Although they all look super-healthy (I was ruthless in the selection), they're very dry, and are taking ages to split and sprout. I've germinated seeds of my own crosses at the same time, and they have all passed 100%, and already been planted - these are still going. However, slowly but surely, some are coming out of suspended animation. Assuming I can get a few of these going, I'm going to attempt to keep a diary here, as I'm sure it will be interesting to many.

Unavoidable limitations:

1. I have very limited space for vegging plants, due to security issues, and pure sativas will have to be brutally constrained. The Malawi Gold I have is much more friendly height-wise than many sativas, and is quite happy to bush out. The Thais may not be so keen, so this is as much an experiment on sativa management as anything else!

2. I have lots of other seedlings growing out, so I can only do a few of these right now.

3. They have to fit in with my main grow, currently on 3rd week of flower - so they may or may not get flowered for a while.​
Given the length of time they do take to flower, this could be a long, sporadic thread, but I think it's worth it. The main goal really will be to find a short, stocky male that I can use to produce some more seeds - a lot more. Then there'll be no viability issues to worry about, and there'll be enough seeds to spread around. Which I guess leads me to the first caveat - please, no-one PM me for any of these seeds - there aren't enough. If the experiment works, then we'll see...:)

So without further ado, let's welcome the first baby to the world of artifical lighting...:)

ThaiPhoon

Hello Elevator Man!

I am interested to see how these go indoors. The Thai I have here outdoors is really rubbery! I have some 90 degrees bends in one! Don't be afraid to tie them over for growing indoors!

Chok Dee!

G

Hey elevator man. Good to see you got one/them to germ. I cant wait to see the results but i guess that might take a while :)
Training is a very good idea will help with sat's yield indoors especially.
Good luck with the grow!

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Elevator Man said:
Some of you may remember this monster Thai stick from a while back:

I've salvaged a few seeds over the last few months, both from the stick, and from the contact I got it from (they didn't need them and I did!), and I'm attempting to germinate some batches now - with mixed results. Although they all look super-healthy (I was ruthless in the selection), they're very dry, and are taking ages to split and sprout. I've germinated seeds of my own crosses at the same time, and they have all passed 100%, and already been planted - these are still going. However, slowly but surely, some are coming out of suspended animation. Assuming I can get a few of these going, I'm going to attempt to keep a diary here, as I'm sure it will be interesting to many.

Unavoidable limitations:

1. I have very limited space for vegging plants, due to security issues, and pure sativas will have to be brutally constrained. The Malawi Gold I have is much more friendly height-wise than many sativas, and is quite happy to bush out. The Thais may not be so keen, so this is as much an experiment on sativa management as anything else!

2. I have lots of other seedlings growing out, so I can only do a few of these right now.

3. They have to fit in with my main grow, currently on 3rd week of flower - so they may or may not get flowered for a while.​
Given the length of time they do take to flower, this could be a long, sporadic thread, but I think it's worth it. The main goal really will be to find a short, stocky male that I can use to produce some more seeds - a lot more. Then there'll be no viability issues to worry about, and there'll be enough seeds to spread around. Which I guess leads me to the first caveat - please, no-one PM me for any of these seeds - there aren't enough. If the experiment works, then we'll see...:)

So without further ado, let's welcome the first baby to the world of artifical lighting...:)

cool, what light are you going to use?

you dont need much space to veg thai, it will grow only slightly taller than an indica. when you flip to 12/12 they will stretch like crazy, im talking stems managing to stretch a good 5-10cm in one or two days and they can keep on stretching throughout flower. 6ft is no problem for these guys!!
as for you trying to breed them, i dont fancy your chances!!! many plants, if not all will hermi. you may be able to polinate one plant from one that went hermi, dunno if that will give you m/f seeds tho.
best thing is flower it and pick off the stalks that come out as male, you dont get many, maybe one or 2 male stalks per plant

oh and ive got a couple a month ahead of you :D

its a thai which popped around the start of january, and the pic was taken maybe 2 weeks ago before it went into 12/12, where it doubled hieght in a couple of nights :yoinks:

if you need to know anything, ask away!

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Wow - fantastic. Good to see I'm not alone in my endeavour! For growing out/vegging I'd just use my normal fluoros - for the rest I'd put them in the main room, which is 1200W - the Malawi Gold is fine in there right now, but it's not a stretcher. I will probably have to bend something soon, but I'm not panicking yet. I have at least six feet headroom if I need it, but I'd really rather keep them to four feet or so.

I used some primitive LST techniques on the Malawis, and they worked fine, but that kind of growth rate you mention could be tricky:

One thing I thought of was growing a 'spiral' plant - I have some circular grow supports that fit in the pots, and thought I might be able to thread the plant around it as it grows... :chin:

smokeymacpot

Veteran
well its good that you have the height if needed, but i suspect if you trained it well (i like the spiraling idea) you would keep it under control. my first go they were just left to do whatever they wanted and reached 5-6ft.
do you have any MH in your grow room? or one of those bulbs with added blue light? i wonder if more blue light would lessen the stretching? but whatever... you have more light than me so you will probably do better. and i'll enjoy looking at your updates.

heres a link to a thai grow, im sure u will enjoy looking at it. the pictures are very accurate as to how the plant grows.

http://www.hempcity.net/travelreports/11strains2003/thaisinse/index.html

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I don't have MH at the moment, but I was thinking of using one for the next veg period. I can't install a rotating light mover unfortunately, due to the ceiling joists being in just the wrong place, otherwise I'd be running a mix of HPS and MH right now. With them fixed, I don't want to have half the room in HPS and half in MH - too confusing.

But I will try the spiral plant thingie - the supports I mentioned can be seen in this pic from a previous grow:

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
I would start them on 12/12 immediately to keep the height and flowering time down. You could just put your seedlings right into the flowering chamber once they have a week or two to veg.

G

Good luck and have fun. Thai can be a pain to run indoors for a few reasons. Hopefully you got enough light and room for height. My girls go crazy when i run them.
Good luck,
BG

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
nice stick i remember thai stick from high school in the mid 70's :) :yummy:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Glock23 - that was my plan actually - I think trying to grow these under fluoros will be a nightmare, and the growroom is in 12/12 for a few weeks at least. Tricky though - half my plants are 8-week strains, the rest 11-15 weeks. Once I pull out the 8-weekers (in five weeks), there'll be a lot more room. I'd like to then drop the photoperiod to 11/13 and then 10/14, and finish off the late skunks, Malawi Gold and the Thai, assuming it's big enough.

However, I also have a bunch of Flo F2s and some seedlings of other crosses to flower in five weeks, and they'll need to be on 12/12 - if I put those in at 10/14, they'll just finish off immediately. It's all getting a bit tricky mentally...I can't build another growroom, much as I'd like to...:)

Alex-F

Traktor driver
Veteran
420giveaway
Elevator Man said:
It's all getting a bit tricky mentally...I can't build another growroom, much as I'd like to...:)

I'M WITH YA ON THAT!!!!

:biglaugh:

I'm taking a seat for this one. My parents in law always talk about how much they miss the old thai sticks. You should see about putting some seeds up on seedbay if this goes well. I'm in for sure. :D

smokeymacpot

Veteran
Alex-F said:
You should see about putting some seeds up on seedbay if this goes well. I'm in for sure. :D

i would put mine on there as i have 100's of seeds, BUT!! they are very prone to hermi and grow stupidly big.

G

yes i think thats why there arent that many people selling it pure^ I am still interested though!

smokeymacpot

Veteran
neilspotshop said:
yes i think thats why there arent that many people selling it pure^ I am still interested though!

what u want some seeds ??

i could put some on there i guess, but dunno how to go about it or what price to put em up for.

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I PM'd Gypsy about sending in seeds to give away as freebie testers, though not heard back yet - might be the best way to go about it, especially with the new emphasis on 'landrace preservation'. I can't possibly grow out all the crosses I'm planning this year, but I'd be happy for others to try. Maybe a 'how to grow Thai indoors' thread would be great, especially if a few people were trying it.

BTW, the little 'helmet' is off the first Thai seedling, and the first proper leaves are open...two more seeds splitting/sprouting...;)

Latest posts

Latest posts