What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

dubracer's 16 bucket recirculating dwc grow

dubracer

Hello. New member to icmag, but been around reading for a year or so. I am over from another site but Id like the information better here so I thought I would share. Advice and critic is welcome. This project was inspired by someone else but was made possible with Blazeoneup's tutorial which we followed as a basic recipe (Thanks Blaze!!!). It was an absolute asset, although there were many changes we made. If anyone is interested in the entire parts list we used to build the room and the system, Id be happy to copy/paste it here.

Strain is White Widow from very good genetics. The setup is 16x 5 gallon buckets in a recirculating deep water culture system. They are under 4x 750 watt Lumatek HPS lights with CoolReflector 6" glass hoods. A single 6" Can-Fan cools the 4 hoods (cools them very well) and draws air from a cold source (which is a sealed and light proof box around the window), exhausting into our very large attic. The lights are hung with eyelet bolts that are bolted to 2"x4" sitting across the beams in the attic. The ballasts also sit in the attic, along with the CAP MLC-8a 240v electrical box. This is a sealed room, so there is no normal intake or exhaust. Air is supplemented with CO2, A/C, and dehumidifer. But it gets fresh air once or twice a day when we check on it.

A 40 gallon reservoir sits in the closet with a 350gph Magdrive pump which powers it all. A single 35 watt airpump powers all 16 buckets for air with an airstone in each one. A 1/4hp water chiller will be installed anyday now, missing some stuff, but that will take care of water temps. But despite water temps of above 75 F (ice can only do so much before the chiller is installed), we have pearly white roots and vigorous growth with no algae, partially thanks to the Hygrozyme we add (8ml per gallon). When the water gets back down to its 67 F target we expect even better growth. The roots already fill the 5 gallon buckets twice over and some main root stalks are well over a 1/4" thick. The stems have passed 3/4". This is tap water, we do not use R/O water, this was a choice not a money choice, I am not convinced it adds any benefits aside from allowing a little more nutrients due to the low ppm.

A 40 pint dehumidifier keeps the humidity around 50% (has to run nearly 24/7), an 8,000 BTU A/C keeps the room cool once in awhile (only turns on a few times a day because it removes to much CO2). We keep temps around 80-85 F when flowering has started because of the CO2 absorbtion, however in veg the room stays about 73-78 F. CO2 is tank supplied with a regulator. We started around 1000ppm and work to a peak of 1800ppm, leaving it completely off during the last 2 weeks. There is a 10" inline fan if we even need to vent the room quickly during high CO2 levels. Oscillating fans move air through the foliage and floor fans bring CO2 up. For nutrients, we use Advanced's 3 part with a (grow, micro, bloom) 2/2/1 for veg, 1/2/2 first flowering stage, 1/2/3 second flowering, 1/2/4 for peak. We supplement with AN Big Bud and Growth Excel but not much Big Bud around the peak because of the already high ratio of bloom. FloraKleen for flushing. Flush for 5 days.

One thing I will add is that unlike Blaze, we veg for a period of time in seperate tubs. This allows us to grab 2 or more extra weeks of veg time before putting them in the big room, allowed us to continue flowering for as long as possible. Unfortunetly with this grow we were not around enough in the beginning to top everything the way we wanted, so were going to see how it goes with late topping and some LST. I abandoned the screen until next grow when I can plan on it early and get a ton of topping done.

Hope that wasnt long, I like talking. Anyways, here are some more pictures. They just went into flowering, changing out the nutrients to bloom

From one trimming of the inside and lower branches we netted well over a hundred clones which are in 3 trays, they will go into a 4x8 flood and drain tray under 2 600s.

Last edited:

mojojojo

gee ,sucks i cant see your photos cause i
am planning on switching the way i water my
20 site dwc setup.
i was considering the multiflows's controller or just adding a non submersable pump to the setup that pumps the water from the buckets back to the waterfarm ress....maybye ill post some pics later anyhow like the way you described your deal,sounds like you know whats up..peace

G

dubracer... I know its been said before but excellent room and grow....

dubracer... I know its been said before but excellent room and grow....

Those are some healthy plants and roots. Wish I had that much space. MMMMM mmmmmm MMMMMMMM. Sure would be nice. You are definitely making good use of it. Those WW should give a heavy harvest. Going to need some help with that unless you have a month. LOL

Peace

buddymag00

hi dubracer. just wonderin how you handle the electricity ? 4 x 750w , how do you remain descrete with that rate of consumption?

OGPurp

Welcome dub, seems like you've got everything optimized, thanks for showing! Great garden.

in the first pictures, is that small green and black object in the middle of the picture a leak alarm?

Budweiser13

Hey dub also how did you hook your lights up to your window to cool them. Would it be possible to snap a picture of how they are connected to the window. How does the window stay shut? Can you hear the fan pulling air from outside the house? Any info would be appreciated........

Budweiser13

"A single 6" Can-Fan cools the 4 hoods (cools them very well) and draws air from a cold source (which is a sealed and light proof box around the window), exhausting into our very large attic."

dubracer would love to learn how you made this box..............

dubracer

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. Ill try to answer some questions.

As far as power consumption, there are actually a total of 4x 750 watt digital hps, 4x 600 watt digital hps, 1 400 watt metal halide, and 6 T5 HO fixtures for the mothers. So in the end with just light power, were pumping well over 6000 watts. The great thing is, this is producing more lumens then 8 conventional magnetic 1000 watts so were actually saving money while keeping the yield high. The digitals have been great, Im convinced of the new technology after having a few grows under em. I live in an area where cannabis growing is nearly legal and myself and my roommate (partner) are both legit medical patients. Besides, a human being at a power company will never physically ever look at your bill unless your late on it. Weve always paid our power bill on time for the last 2 years, so theres no worry there. Our county does not cooperate with federal inquiries about power bills, etc, unless they have a massive subpoena (sp?).

The little black/green thing your seeing is not a leak alarm but a tape measure. However, we have a leak alarm that controls the water pump.

The window box was made from 4x8 pieces of 3/4" thick soundboard (foam or thick cardboard). It is literally constructed with duct tape, painters tape, and staples (and wedged in between the carpet and the ceiling) and this way has always lasted for me. This box allows us to keep the window partly open, yet even if your standing RIGHT outside the window, you cannot see anything but a dark room and there is only a faint faint woosh of air which could easily be mistaken for a dryer in the background or anything of that nature. About the only problem I am having with this one is that the outside temps are so cold that when they enter the warm ducting for the lights, I get a lot of condensation (luckily on the outside of the ducting, never on the inside).

I will post the full parts list in a second. Also, this is the first time I have grown WW, anyone know if it clones easily? Some of my strains root in 5-6 days, others like Trainwreck take 14-15 days. 3rd picture is from our mother room. Right now we have Blueberry, Grapefruit, Purple G, Jedi, Power Plant, Trainwreck, M10, and one other I cant remember. The last pic is some Trainwreck that just came out of a soil room, just random, thought Id add it.

Last edited:

dubracer

Now comes the nasty part. The Parts list.

4x Lumatek 750 watt digital ballasts (240v), with CoolReflector 6" aircooled hoods and 750 watt bulbs
4 x Lamp Yo-Yos (these are an extra cost but every little thing that is made easier counts)
Can Fan 6" 500cfm inline fan
CAP PPM-3 CO2 meter/controller (indepedent from the lights controller, but wont turn on during the off hours)
CO2 regulator
CO2 20lb tank
CAP MLC-8a 8 socket 240v electrical box with 2 trigger cords (4 and 4)
1/4 horsepower reservoir chiller (cools 100 gallons 30 degrees), inline
8,000 BTU portable A/C
60 pint dehumidifier
350gph water pump
1 x 35 watt air pump, diffused into 16 lines total
100 feet of poly (white/black) plastic
Hanna TDS pen (already have a pH)
25 feet of 6" ducting
6" hose clamps
16 5 gallon black buckets (if you get white, spray paint them)
16 5 gal bucket tops (or you can buy the tops with the netpots already in them. My problem with this is that I transplant the netpots so they dont work for me)
16 heavy duty american agritech 5.5" netpots
10L bag of hydroton expanded clay balls
30 x 6" airstones (only need 16 but plenty will break and some wont work)
20 3/4" elbows
20 3/4" T's
20 3/4" ebb n flow fittings
26 ebb n flow screens
4 3/4" shut off valves
2 1/2" ebbnflow fittings
32 1/4" straight barbs
120 7/8" hose clamps (These are expensive! I could not find them for less then $0.79...thats $100 in hoseclamps?!?)
16 1/4" barbed elbows
30 1/4" T barbs (16 for the buckets, 14 for the airlines and extras)
4 1/2" shutoff valves
4 1/2" end caps
120' of 3/4 OD tubing
100' of 1/4" OD tubing
50' of 1/4" OD tubing
3 sheets of 4'x8' foam soundboard (Home Depot)
waterproof epoxy (not even really needed but nice to have incase)
Lots of painters tape and duct tape and staples with a stapler

Tools (only for building the hydro setup, not including hammers, saw, etc for the room and ducting, etc):
1x Drill
1x 3/16" bit
1x 3/8" bit
1x 1&1/4" hole saw bit with starter bit
1x Needle nose plyers
1x sharp knife
1x heavy duty scissors
1x stapler

Total Approx Cost = $5000 but this can go up or down depending on your situation and who you know or how froogle you shop. I got some amazing deals on everything.

It took us approx 2 weeks to get everything setup (work and school sucks) and while there weren't a lot of problems, we had to make far too many trips to the local hydro shop for random fittings we somehow didnt get enough of in the first place. Small leaks in the water feed line was an issue as well and they are picky, you cant hit em too much with your feet or theyll drip out. I HIGHLY suggest wrapping the straight barb with a tiny bit of plumbers tape. This will vastly increase the seal and was a trick I was just shown a few days ago. Aside from that though, once it was setup, we pHed about once a day in the beginning but its finally stabilized and everything gets pHed when we top off nutes (every 3 days or so). PPM of the nutrients is 1300 but our water is 275. pH is 5.7-5.8. We have been 100% leak free for the last 1.5 weeks.

Last edited:

mojojojo

looking good buddy,
when i grew white widow it rooted extra fast
my blackwidow dont so it prolly varies plant to plant.

nice tw nug bro i could tell before i read what it was.
good luck on the grow.

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Dub...nice!
What are your thoughts on the 750w digis so far? They are pretty new to the market and Id love to get one but limited "support" (bulb variety, experiences, etc) have made me wonder about investing in them. Heat output compared to 1000w? Stability? RF issues? all that good stuff...

dubracer

ItsGrowTime said:
Dub...nice!
What are your thoughts on the 750w digis so far? They are pretty new to the market and Id love to get one but limited "support" (bulb variety, experiences, etc) have made me wonder about investing in them. Heat output compared to 1000w? Stability? RF issues? all that good stuff...

Well I have mixed thoughts GrowTime. On the good side, they work beautifully. Vibrant green growth, nice tight nodes, and for the lumens they produce...very little heat. Considerably less heat then a 1000 watt. I will note that Ive been growing with 4 600 watt lumatek digitals for a little bit now and they get nearly the same results as 1000 watts. This will be my first harvest from the 750s, but I know already that light will not be what holds me back.

The bad side is indeed the choice of 1 bulb and only 1 bulb. Ive already had one go on me, but it was warrantied. I dont know if there will be new support from other manufacturers besides Sylvania, it would be nice to run some Metal Halides during the first few weeks of veg, which the 600s and 1000s allow you to do. I think part of the reason we got the 750s instead of the 1000s was the electricity and I believe we got such a good deal because the 1000s had recently come out. I dont like having the newest technology. One step behind is fine for me.

As far as nutrients go, I think I mentioned it but we used Advanced Nutrients 3 part with AN Big Bud as an additive in the middle of flowering (not at the peak and not in the end). For veg we use a 2/2/1 ratio of grow, micro, and bloom. For beginning flowering, we go 1/2/2 with Big Bud. For regular flowering, we go 1/2/3 with Big Bud. For peak flowering we go 1/2/4 with no big bud and flush the last week. Peak PPM is around 2000. Next grow I will probably try doing the whole thing without grow as Ive been reading about that for awhile. However...micro is a lot more expensive then grow and grow is pretty cheap in comparison.

Most stems just passed over 1" today. I broke a few branches (intentional) about 6 days ago...doing awesome. Oh...and decided to bite the bullet and pickup an all-in-one environment controller instead of having a seperate ppm meter. This will allow us to run CO2 in another smaller room as well.

Here is another teaser pic from another grow of mine at a different location. Cindarella 99 (cindy 99), 3 gallon pots, Ocean Forest, Advanced Nutrients 3 part, two 600 digitals, and a 700cfm 8" exhaust fan.

Latest posts

Latest posts