What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Emergency Pipe Repair - GoJoeGo

Do It Yourself Emergency Pipe Repair

Here are the ingredients for your kit:

1/2" Heater Hose - 1 Foot
3/4" Heater Hose - 1 Foot
Assorted Hose Clamps - Worm Type
Some type of Cutting device - a pipe cutter or even a knife
Screw Driver or Nut Driver - Make sure it fits your clamps

Alright, In the picture, there are two sizes of hose, 1/2" and 3/4". The hose is sold by the foot and it is fairly cheap, so get both sizes. The Hose Clamps come in a variety of sizes. Just purchase a few, sometimes you can find an assortment pack. You don't have to get the huge clamps, since home plumbing pipe is usually 1/2", 3/4" or 1" in size. This is pipe under pressure that I speak of.

First Find your leak and mark it. Cut off the water if you can. If not, work fast!

Second, cut off a piece of hose long enough to give you about a half inch on either side of the hole in your pipe.

Now cut that piece of hose lengthwise down the side. When you open it up, it looks like a rectangle.

Here is our patch with a matchstick holding the slice open.

Last edited:

Find a hose clamp that is large enough to go around the pipe and our piece of hose, which I will call our "Patch". If the clamp is too small, you can add two or more clamps together to make a larger size.

Okay, if you haven't already done so, mark your leak so you can find it easier. This leak is in the center, the X. Looks more like a V now. Take the patch and cover the hole. Make sure the inside of the patch (black) is covering the hole in the pipe. Center it up and now center your hose clamp on the patch and screw it down. Tight! When done, the red outer covering of the patch will actually try to come through the openings in the clamp's band.

Now your done. Turn on the water and check for leaks. You should have none. Clean up your mess and put away your tools.

And if your leak didn't flood your stash, spark one up and relax. The leak is 'fixed' or rather, What leak?

Last edited:
I posted this thread in the growing section because I couldn't find a better place to put it. If your growing indoors, whether your growing with hydroponics or in dirt, you will be dealing with water. If you have a leak, you need to deal with it as soon as possible.

Now for those of you that grow in a rental, either a house or apartment, you can't call the landlord on a moments notice and say, "hey, I have a water leak, I need it fixed now." Sorry, not gonna happen. A temporary fix will save your ass and expensive repairs. Tell the landlord when it is convenient for YOU.

A couple things I want to go over:

I used a nut driver/socket because it is easier to use. Do the same if possible, you won't be bothered with a nutdriver slipping off where a screwdriver would.

You can put this repair to use on all kinds of pipe, ie COPPER, PVC, CPVC, PEX, and POLYBUTELENE. If you can't flex the pipe with your fingers, it should work. The only exception would be thin wall PVC.

Note: I haven't tried this with hose tubing, I seriously doubt it would work.

There was something else I wanted to say, can't think of it. :pointlaug

Oh, I got it. I am calling this a "Temporary Fix" but it will hold solid. The inside of heater hose is rubber and when pressed against the pipe, it will not only cover the hole but fill it. The hose clamps are stainless steel and they will last 'forever'. So if you have to leave your pipe with this temporary fix, fill confident it will hold.

If you have any questions, fire away. - Joe

Last edited:
Okay I'm done. Post away!

Note: I forgot to add. I didnt' come up with this. I'm just passing it along. I can't take credit for the idea.

Last edited:
G

Sweet little Quick fix. Since I understand some people dont have a full supply of piping needs on hand. ( woo hoo love being a farmboy) Would recommend this fix for as long as it takes to get it fixed right. All and all good idea K+

Mr GreenJeans

Sat Cat
Veteran
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Ordinary Joe again.

Excellent OJ! Simple, practical, concise! A great home repair tip too!! Who could ask for anything more? :respect: :D