What's new

chopping trunks columbian style????

Tunefull

Hi all
Very very interesting*smiles*

Elevator man(nice image)
So i would just cut the bark and peel away that area?
So the "Stalk" itself is not cut?(once u peel the bark off)

I'd had this happen to small parts of plants, where a branch got girdled. It did make a 'gold' type weed, which was very prety and good. I wouldn't think this is a very good indoor technique though, because youre taking up space in a flower room to do it. Maby hang the plants at the side of the room, and put new ones under the lights. As far as I understand you may as well chop the plants down if you are going to girdle it.

Also, this will reduce your potency. But that may not be the most important thing, esp if you are starting with superpotent bud.

Also with stabbing stems and other stresses to increase potency, this will work but yeild will be reduced. Indoor, a low RH at the end of the flowering period is the best technique to increase resin production. Thoes other techniques are best when youre not paying out the ass for power.

FIREGOD

it wouldnt be used for the coloring aspect ,,,,
people back in the day never flushed their plants either...
it was something over time that was deemed neccessary ,,,,

this method caught my attention and it might be a good way to early ripen those never ending indoor sativas ! also you never know till you actually try it ,,, it might increase potency ??? like flicking a switch in the plant ???

farmers all around the world have used this method on various plants to increase chemical reactions in medicinal plants or hasten ripening......

i have been reading up on this girdling and was suprised at how widely it was used!
we are talking about "old school" fARMERS HERE !!!
MUST BE AT LEAST WORTH CHECKIN OUT! if it dont work well then oh well???
but if it does then who knows?
this could be something great or bullshit???
thats how every idea in the world is tho!

if we never tried anything new we would still be shittin in the woods ! :yoinks: :2cents:
IM ONLY GOIN TO TRY IT ON 1 OR TWO PLANTS,,, I WILL USE THE HOSE CLAMPS,,,,
WHO KNOWS,,,, I JUST POSTED THIS TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE HAD RESULTS FROM SOMETHING LIKE THIS! but nothing,,,, so since i have a few i will try it but i am not confident enough to do it to all my babys !!!
i will post my findings

Last edited:

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Tunefull - exactly - just cut through the bark in two circles about 1cm apart with a sharp knife until you can see white, and slit between them. The bark will peel off quite easily, leaving a white stem underneath. And yes, do it in the last two weeks and it won't affect yield.

Tunefull

Ahh ok got it
Will deff give it a go

I have two strains going at mo(With 2 of each strain)
Will try it on one of each(Will be able to see any diff then)

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I can't wait to see the results!

I'd do it too, but I'm only in the first week of flower with nine to go, but maybe at the end I'll resurrect this trick - would be nice to try it again. I love experimenting...:)

FIREGOD

girdles like when women used to wear girdles,,, it was a band that squeezed their waist in???

i heard about alot of growers using metal bands?????
you think cutting it is better??? what about stability???

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
"My girdle's killing me...", as they used to say on the ads... :)

I think cutting will guarantee complete severance.

FIREGOD

i wish i had clones of a known potency!!!
im wondering when i do this if the plant would vary in potency since they are from seed and whether or not the tested plant would be fairly judged :confused:

Dan42nepa

i actually have several clones from one mother... but am weeks away from trying this. I may try two side by side and girdle the one, that would be about a month away. I have a waiting list in my room.

FIREGOD

im still a month from harvest myself but i think you would have a better chance of duing a conclusive experiment because they are all virtually the same plant!

where with mine i havent tested it before this so i dont know if it would be better or worse!
???
my plants are from seed!~ :lurk: :chin: :confused:

Dan42nepa

I decided to try this with a few branches with some nice buds which were almost ready to harvest. Trichs were 70 percent cloudy 30 percent clear (or less). I peeled back the bark all around the stem with a razor blade. Tommorow I will check the trichs and see if there is any change..

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
Yay! Nice one! Not sure how it will affect a branch as opposed to the main stem, but I guess it's a 'mini-replica' eh? :)

Good luck - I'll be checking back... :chin:

Dan42nepa

i am more interested in the reaction of the trichs to any sort of trauma.. Either way i will have a few buds to smoke before the others finish.

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Thought I'd dig this one back up.
My understanding is that girdling is used to get one last bumper crop out of old fruit trees right before they are removed. By cutting through trhe cambium as described, you prevent return of sugars down to the roots. The inner portion of the stem / trunk that is left is responsible for the upward flow of nutrients/sugars/ water etc.

I'm intrigued by the quickening of chlorophyll reduction but my hope is that the buds would get extra loaded with sugars resulting in possible more flavor and /or yield. Any thoughts?

If columbian farmers are doing it, I tend to think a yield factor is part of their reasoning. I never thought of columbian field growers being overly concerned with taste lol

Elevator Man

Mentor
Veteran
I do remember the taste being much more 'cured', even with the limited amount I had to play with. Maybe just the rapid decomposition of clorophyll was at play there - not sure about sugar transport, but it would be a good experiment to try with some supplemental molasses with two identical plants, and girdling one when the extra carbs are added, and if the plant shows no increase in bulk like the ungirdled one, then you know the sugars are blocked by the girdling...:chin:

Grow Tech

I've got a stalk of sinsemilla growing in my back
Veteran
Greetings,
I have girdled a branch on a GDP I have that's late in flower and basically girdled the entire base on another small girl I have in bloom. I'm particularly interested in any coloration changes in the GDP....I'm really looking at this as a way to max yield though vs making golden buds.