What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have a Dissolved Oxygen meter

My buddy lent me his BAd to the bone D.O. meter. It measures temp and D.O. in ppm. I already did a breakdown of D.O. to temp starting from 83 degrees
going down to 58 degrees.

Any Ideas of tests I should do while I have access to this meter? Bubbles no bubbles? Add H2O2?
Gimme I deas.. Its a 1K$$$ plus meter I want the most out of it.

TIA

Δ9-THC

Haha.. a lot of this data is plotted already... like dissolved O2 @ different temps etc. Well.. here's an experiment.. Test the Dissolved O2 at 58ºF vs. 68ºF.. There seems to be a bit of debate as to which of those is a more suitable rez temp. While it's likely that at 68ºF the roots function a little better, I've heard at 58ºF the dissolved oxygen is much higher... Myth? Fact? I'm too lazy to look at a solubility chart.. haha.

Next to that, of course it would be valuable to test your grow setup (if you have one). Try testing it with all your air stones and all going... and try testing it with no air stones running at all for a while. I know in aquariums, people don't put air stones any longer. This is mainly because water circulation and surface agitation is sufficient to allow gas exchange and for oxygen to dissolve.

Just a thought!

Dr.

Important call for studies

Important call for studies

This is a great opportunity to test the difference between bubbles and turbulence. I would like to see three experiments from a standard container (buckets would be nice) with same amount of water. First using an airstone bubbler, second using a pump to spray water in bucket, third using pump just to circulate water in bucket. All three experiments should be tested with at least three different levels (amt of bubbles,pump pressure,etc) if time permits. Also very important would be a plain bucket with no adjuncts as a baseline. My theory is that minor agitation will out-perform massive amounts of bubbles. Temp and DO is well documented but i cant find anything about agitation. Get to work. And damn fine job making public use of your asset.

Dr. said:
This is a great opportunity to test the difference between bubbles and turbulence. I would like to see three experiments from a standard container (buckets would be nice) with same amount of water. First using an airstone bubbler, second using a pump to spray water in bucket, third using pump just to circulate water in bucket. All three experiments should be tested with at least three different levels (amt of bubbles,pump pressure,etc) if time permits. Also very important would be a plain bucket with no adjuncts as a baseline. My theory is that minor agitation will out-perform massive amounts of bubbles. Temp and DO is well documented but i cant find anything about agitation. Get to work. And damn fine job making public use of your asset.

Ill try my best.. Im a stoner and need a little regimen. You tell me what to test, Ill do a spreadsheet for it. I have this D.O meter for 1 week. It actually belongs to BOW INGGGG./.. if you get what I mean.. Its really nice.. From what I saw, My next test will be below 58 degrees, casue Ive done the 58 and up..

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I would like to see a 'clogged' airstone, vs one with fine bubbles. Im not sure if that was already asked.

I would also like to see just an open air line secured to the bottom of the reserverior vs. ceramic deffusers, if you have them. Actually i would like you to run all 4 side by side(if you have them).

just an example
This is a 4W air pump with a good airstone

This is a 18W air pump with a ceramic diffuser

I just wanted to know if it makes a difference.

G

Way to go man....you need to set up a number of identical reservoirs in the same conditions with the same amount of water. Set a couple up as a control with just water and nothing else. Then set up as many variances as you can like people have said above. Give them all time to get going for a bit....say an hour or two just to make sure each has had time to produce as much oxygenation as it can, then test each bucket.

You'll have to do the temperature testing separate, but proceed the same. A couple buckets with just water for controls and a few set up differently. Let them run, then test them at 68F, record results. Next, run them at 58F for a while (water temp) and keep room temp the same (don't want inaccurate results) and test again. Record results and report back here!

I'm interested in hearing what you come up with. Also, I would like to see one bucket tested with water recirculating if you can do it to show the effectiveness of just falling water.

G

Awesome...I just picked up the best chemical/visual test kit I could find as I was not interested in spending $300+ for a meter to play with. It'll at least give me an idea of what things look like in my setup.

If time is short I don't know that testing at different temps is critical as, and others have said, general information about this is available. I think testing the difference between bubbling and agitation would be interesting. For bubbling I'd also like to see the difference between something like a crappy aquarium stone and a nice ceramic or corundum diffuser.

Another interesting test would be once you've recorded data for max DO levels turn the air, or agitation, off and read DO levels like 1, 6, 12, 24 and 48 hours afterwards to see how long water holds the oxygen. Maybe also check pH as I've been told oxygen will slowly be replaced by carbon dioxide thus lowering the waters pH.

G

yep, count me in! i wanna see clogged Vs non clog. and power head Vs air stone/wand. temps being the same...big ass pump Vs mid to small sized pump etc etc..
you are our canvas heheh. good work!~

Dr.

What I would like to see is this:

Your going to need 4 buckets, an airpump and stone, and 2 water pumps.

Fill all 4 buckets with water and let sit 12-24 hr undisturbed.

Bucket #1 - This is a base standard do not touch other than to test DO.

Bucket #2 - put the airpump and airstone in here.

Bucket #3 - rig a water pump in here with a pipe shooting water up like a fountain 3-4in that falls back down into bucket.

Bucket #4 - put a water pump in here and just let pump run under water making sure the water flows down or in a circle to agitate the water.

Test all buckets (4) at same time (within 1 min if possible) at these intervals after turning power on. Test the standard bucket last since time shouldnt change it.

5 min
15min
30min
60min

Bucket #2 should also be tested a second time without airstone. Just tubing in water. Dying to see these results!!!

Lets see something like bubble wands, vs silicate airstones, ceramic airstones, vs micropore airstrones, vs turbulance (Waterfall) aeration, vs homemade air diffuser (like tubing with holes punched in it.

Some people like to add holes to bubbles wands also, so that would be interesting.

Also info on how long it takes a given volume of water to reach max DO level

Use a standard size of water. Like a 5 gallon bucket (since they are meant to hold water) and do an experiment in a given time frame like 24-48 hours of each different diffusor end with at least one air pump. Then with the same setup try a submersible and non sumbmersible turbulance aeration setup, such as NIMBY's bio bucket which is just a powerhead shooting water at the lid. It would also be intersting to see the DO of
the similar aero setup which uses misters. All relatively cheap setups though the stupid ass micropore diffusers cost way to much and and external and internal turbulance test my be asking too much but I'm wondering how much does the heat from an internal/submersible pump hurt DO.

The turbulance vs airstone would be great in giving us an idea oh which setup is giving us the best DO. I'd personally like to see if it makes a difference in what diffuser you use and if turbulance works best with misters. My guess is a full throttle powerhead will produce the most DO so long as it's not under too much water but the heat it produces will significantly hurt it so the DO will go down as the heat builds up.

Also a measurement of how much DO we can get for roughly 6 and 12 inches of waterfall (such as with bio Buckets or other recirvulating DWC) at a standard GPH flow rate would be great info.

Man I wish I had a DO Meter

gmanwho

Veteran
Adding a Oxygen concentrator

Adding a Oxygen concentrator

just a quick thought to throw out, havent read it elsewhere, but i could have missed it.

All the charts indicating max DO available at given temp are taken with readings from or using atmospheric air, or atleast i think they are. i mean if they where using pure oxygen i think they would state it in the graph somewhere.

Now what if you used an oxygen concentrator to run the air stones! Dumping 92% or higher oxygen into the water. Outside air is around 21% oxygen give or take.

So now those readings where taken with only a 21% oxygen level at the start. The nitrogen takes up 78%. So that means that somewhere about 78% of the air saturation in the water is taking up by Nitrogen.

What if that 78% could be replaced with oxygen from the concentrator?

There are limits im sure, maybe even harmfull limits to the plants. (An oxygen concentrator has been on my list of things to get for awhile now. You can pick up ones for arroun $150 used. Plus i figuired if the experments didnt do much, then i could use it for my ocassional hangover in the morning.)

Hummmmmm. guess only one way to find out.

Any thoughts?
B-safe

Last edited:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
The temp will still determine the holding capacity of the water me thinks. Colder water holds more air as fisherman know.

Sauce

Deft said:
The temp will still determine the holding capacity of the water me thinks. Colder water holds more air as fisherman know.

Exactly, pure o2 would be a waste of $ and time. Even with air and water pumps there is going to be a point where no matter what you add, the DO is going to cap off.

I can't wait to see the results.

No airstone vs. airstone is an easy experiment. Also I am curious to see what a clogged airstone puts out in comparison.

Last edited:

gzzmo

while you're at it: bubbles vs. turbulence is interesting, but so is (if your system permits such temporary changes) the DO in NFT with pump on constantly vs ebb&flow with pump on every ~4 hrs (15 minutes)...just to get a comparison of the different systems as to DO.

Latest posts

Latest posts