What's new

Green bulb/lights.

G

I remember reading somewhere that plants do not respond to green light and as such you can buy green transparent bulbs and use them during the "dark" cycle if you need to see.

will this effect the marijuana plants flowering in anyway, using one of these? Im not going to have them on all the time, just when i need to see for a few minutes.

G

I'm wondering the same thing, but also, what kind of green light is best?
I checked out the store and found: green flood lights, neon bulbs, incandescent bulbs, christmass bulbs, ect. Most of these seem to be simply painted on green and still emit some white light (or appear to be). What's best?

G

They actually have green incandescents made for just that purpose,you can use them and it wont affect flowering.

DeadlyFoez

Tha is NOT true. Plants dont see green as much as they do blue and red, but they still do see it. It can cause hermies, especially if done often or for longer periods. Most bulbs, the color filter is not perfect, so although our eyes see green, if you were to do a spectrum analysis you would see that those bulbs still do give off red and blue, just not as much without the filter.

You're best and safest bet would either be not enter during dark cycles at all, or get green LED's because they will ONLY give off green wavelengths so there would be less of a chance than using any other filtered bulb of getting hermies.

But, still, even the green LED's can still cause hermies, because plants do react to green light...just not as much as red and blue.

TokenBlackGuy

DeadlyFoez said:
Tha is NOT true. Plants dont see green as much as they do blue and red, but they still do see it. It can cause hermies, especially if done often or for longer periods. Most bulbs, the color filter is not perfect, so although our eyes see green, if you were to do a spectrum analysis you would see that those bulbs still do give off red and blue, just not as much without the filter.

You're best and safest bet would either be not enter during dark cycles at all, or get green LED's because they will ONLY give off green wavelengths so there would be less of a chance than using any other filtered bulb of getting hermies.

But, still, even the green LED's can still cause hermies, because plants do react to green light...just not as much as red and blue.

Then how do people foliar feed with out interrupting the light cycle?

DeadlyFoez

They do interrupt, but since green light doesn't get absorbed as much, the effect take longer to happen. If you understood the whole "pr<-->pfr" thing it would make more sense. and thats kinda something a little tough for me to explain.

But pretty much, a plant has its sleep time, and it has its awake time. And those times are defined by the light cycle. We all know that if you were to flash a light in your grow room or interrupt the light cycle with normal lights you could cause hermies.

Since the plants respond the most to blues and reds, if they are exposed to it they will wake up more quickly. But with the green light, they will still wake up, but it will just take a little longer. Green LED's are your BEST bet if this is something you want to do.

When plants go into darkness it can usually take up to 2 hours for the plant to goto sleep if the plant has not been exposed to 730 nm wavelengths at the end of the light cycle.

This is why HPS is great because after the power goes out, the bulb is still generating light for a few moment that generally aren't visible to us, but there's still a lot of IR also. But the plant receives 730nm from an hps when the power goes out.

The same thing happens in nature during a sunset. You notice how the sky seems really red during sunset, part of it is that there is a lot of 730nm light around at that point which helps the plant goto sleep.

This is also kinda why compact flouros suck for flowering. Usually if you do flowering with CF's, with a normal 12/12 cycle, the plants end up staying awake for a total of 13-14 hours which isn't as good for flowering because the plant doesn't goto sleep as fast as how an HPS gives off 730nm

For a test, I had a buddy of mine growing with compact flouros. I had him change the light cycle to a 11 hr on and 13 hr off cycle to see how the plant reacts, and within days you could see the huge improvement on flowering...why is this? Because the plants have closer to a 12/12 cycle since there is no 730nm given off by CF's after the light goes out so the plant is awake for about 12-13 hours.

Now you're asking why I am going off on a tangent about all that. The reason is to show that longer periods of green light means the more the plant WILL wake up, and then the longer it will take to go back asleep. Since the plants dont react as fast and dont absorb as much green light it will take longer for them to wake up.

So if you have the green light on for a minute, chances are you wont harm the plant, unless its just one of those strains that has to have everything perfect. But if you were to leave the green light on longer than 10 minutes, I'm sure you would potentially harm the plant. Also doing it too often I bet would hurt the plant.

Keep in mind, those green bulbs do give off other wavelengths, just mostly green. If it was ONLY green, like LED's, then you could probably have the light on a little longer without worry.

But, Lets say someone were to put a green light on right after the plants light cycle ended and had it on all throughout the night, the plant would never goto sleep and thus would never go into flowering.

Hope this answers it for ya.

Last edited:

DeadlyFoez

no difference....that I've heard of at least. I believe they all proccess chlorophyl pretty much at the same amounts.

G

Ive seen green CFL's at the local hardware store...I personally wouldnt interupt flowering plants dark cycle unless its an emergency or something...Why take the risk of hermies or delaying the process?

Thought I read were its best to chop ur plants in the dark after 48 hrs of complete darkness...Wouldnt the green CFL's be perfect for harvesting? The green light would keep all the sugars and stuff in the roots and still allow you to see what your chopping (hopefully not your fingers)

DeadlyFoez

you could I guess....but it would still keep the plant awake, you wouldn't want to give it green light longer than 10 minutes

I2KanGrow

Hi:

Don't mean to hijack the thread and go off-subject, but... Deadly, are you saying that I should change my lighting to 11-on, 13-off???

I'm growing under softwhite CFL's, about 2 weeks into flowering. Thanks!!

I2KanGrow

Awwww-righty, Deadly - I'll give it a whirl.
BTW, you're Super Intelligent cab thread is really amazing!!! I've tried looking up Growtronics, came up empty - are they bust, or just don't have a web presence yet??

DeadlyFoez

it might be one of those finicky ones that require the www.

http://www.growtronix.com/store/

There it is.

Trust what I say about the 11-13 cycle. I wish I could bring up the proof of it, but its lost in a 100 page thread and too much of a bitch to find. But I'll look for it later so you all can be educated also.

billbob

use the green light when you need light. You can get a cheap green led or a regular green bulb if you need more light. Just don't abuse it. Turn it off when done and be quick. Even a small head flashlight LED is okay. Some strains are more fickle than others. The moon can get pretty bright. So can the green lights on the co2 meters and the such.

G

someone asked how to foliar feed there plants... simple answer.. just spray them in the last 1-3 minutes of there cycle... that requires you to do it at the exact proper time.. a few minutes of water wont cause burning..i usualy turn off 2 of mr 3 alights for this aswell..

intresting thread on green lights... i dont go in during dark... ever.. my a/c uses green and blue LED's and a blue digital LED double digit readout.. i coverd them with electrical tape to block the light.. ive also been 'in' the room for a period of dark just too see how lightproof everything is..
i would never use a green light.. thought about it though, but the reality is you dont need to be there..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts