What's new

When liquid nutes go old...

Which lines of bottled nutrients go bad? and what is there shelf life?

Which, out of the macro and micronutrients go bad? (N, P, K, trace mins..)

What are your experiences with nutes that have gone bad?

According to the responses on this thread..some comfirmed through email or hydro dude:
If kept in an environment below 80 degrees and in dark or shaded area:

FF Tiger Bloom & Grow Big - 2 year shelflife

FF Big Bloom - 3 year shelflife

PBP - No shelflife because nutes are already fermented and broken down

GH FloraNova Series - 1 year shelflife

GH Flora Series - No shelflife

Earth Juice Bloom - No shelflife

:yeahthats`

Last edited:
R

rule35sub1

I was under the impression that most nutes go bad after 2 yrs.

I have been reading your thread and it inspired me to write this accually..

Ide like to know if anyone has any technical info on which nutes exactly go bad?

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The man at American Agritech told me that any organic based nute starts to break down when temps rise above 80 degrees and that most have a 2 year shelf life. I asked if he suggested keeping nutes in a fridge and he said that it would help but if kept in a dark cool place all would be fine BUT if temps were EVER in question the fridge is the way to go. Of my mess I had the Liquid Karma was the first to go bad and as we all know is by far the thickest.

I'm sure one of our fine scientist will chime in to let us know what EXACTLY goes bad but I can say from experience the smell is not what gave it away.

Mr.Wags

CaptJamesTKirk

Technicaly?

It was when my garden went to crap and dam near died. I don't know if it was Tiger Bloom or Grow Big, but I know it was one or the other. I'll spray it on the lawn, and head down to the store anf get some new qts.

If you suspect it may be old - it's cheaper to toss it than cook the garden.

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well Capt you know what they say about pictures and their worth:

Bad Nutes ^

Good Nutes ^

Have A Nice Day
Mr.Wags

TokenBlackGuy

My Grow Big went bad after i started reading that one thread and it was about 2 years old from purchase... So today i just went and bought Iguana Juice Grow.

My mother plant, and my clones were yellowing just like your pics above.. Cant wait to get them back on track... Also my flowering plants went yellow at about early week three..

Mackawber

2 Years sounds like a good rule of thumb. Of well, it can't be helped. Looks like the leftovers will by used in the other garden outside. Time to go out and buy a fresh bottle of pure blend pro, Liquid Karma and fox farms big bloom.

CaptJamesTKirk

Big Bloom is good for 3 years, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom are 2 years per factory - I asked the salesman at my hydro shop - he said 1 yr

I won't be buying gallon jugs anymore

clowntown

Veteran
Do any of these bottles have either a manufacture / production date, or a "best by" date? I haven't seen any on my Botanicare bottles...

CaptJamesTKirk

nope

and manafactureres don't seem to care

They know it won't sell if it old and still on the shelf - so they feel it's ok to fuck the customer.

FOXFARMS SUCKS because they choose not to date products that they KNOW will turn hazadors to the garden they are suppose to be improving.

I suggest every grower contact their fert manafacturer of choice and DEMAND dated packageing

Last edited:

clowntown

Veteran
My bottles from Advanced Nutrients had a sticker on it with some numbers, which I'm guessing are Julian date codes. Could just as well be a "proprietary", AN-date format for them to use when diagnosing issues if problems are reported. Or it might not even be a date. But my guess is that it is a date in some format. I'll try to see if Julian conversions make any sense later on... and if not, see if I can decipher any pattern of meaning from them.

... Unless one of you know already what those numbers mean?

(A Julian date would keep most people from instantly seeing what the manufacture date is, for the purpose / reason stated by CaptJamesTKirk. Also has a possible, miniscule side benefit, but not worth mentioning.)

Last edited:

fatboyOGOF

good info. looks like i have a ton of reading to do this weekend.

i currently use botanicare. it is made in tempe az and i'm in phoenix so i'm hoping (probably stupidly) that my local hydro shop is getting reasonably fresh stuff. they are a fairly large store and go through stock pretty quickly.

i'll have to ask next time.

never once, when a crop wasn't looking so hot, did i think of old nutes. such an obvious thing to think of. never once. lol

keep the nutes at 80 degrees or less? please. i live in phoenix. keeping my house at 80 year round would cost me a ton of $. looks like i'll have to start purchasing smaller quantities. not a good thing as i prefer to avoid hydro shops. it is always fun to see all you young folks wispering near the lights and counting your cash. :)

Last edited:

fatboyOGOF

howdy Capt. love that avatar. lol

"is that an HD fatboy reference?"

i'm not sure what you are asking. then again, i'm so high i just realized my eyes are half shut.

i've been on the boards since 1995 or so. i've read thousands of posts and i don't think i've seen anyone talking about the nutes going bad. then again i wasn't looking for it. maybe i'll buy a small fridge for the nutes... hmmmmm. i'll have to read up and find out how these particular nutes do in cooler temps.

this fucking hobby is always costing me money! :)

CaptJamesTKirk

Sorry fatboyOGOF, I hang out with a few Harley Riders, more than one have Models called Fat Boy.

Buddy - when your nutes go south, it costs a HELL of a lot in grief and pain - to say nothing of the reason we are here. BUDZ

I would GLADLY put it on the lawn, down the drain anywhere but in my garden. Yes indeed cool storage will help, but how long was it in a wharehouse, in transit or on the shelf?

If nothing hac changed, and the garden takes a down turn - don't go blindly on for a month or two like I did. if the nutes are old, you may want get some fresh,

- Check the links in the first post - there are some other nutes listed that have shown this nasty habit.

Cheers

K

kokua

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to clowntown again.

Good info...The only other manufacturer I know of that puts date codes on their bottles is technaflora...the people who make bc nutrients, thrive alive, awesome blossoms, rootech...and others I suppose. I love rootech and thrive alive.

Date codes really should be implemented industry wide...I wonder why they haven't done it already? CJTK is right...everyone should call their nute brand of choice and suggest they place date codes on their products.

Latest posts

Latest posts