What's new

Praying

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Hey guys,

I was talking with some nice fellas about how to get some pictures without em being all orange. I was able to get a few shots before my lamps came on so I could show my problem. I have a flood tray and only this flood tray is showing this problem. The only thing different to the other trays is I used rockwool slabs underneathe the 4"cubes. I use GH nutes (Lucas Formula) and room temps are 68 -75f during day 45% humidity and around 63F 55-60% humidity at night. I have 4 seperate trays growing with this one tray showing this problem. Any ideas? And please dont say there is not enough light. I read praying leaves means not enough light but there is 2400 watts going in there.

A closer view

Trays 3 and 4 that are fine

And another tray that is just a week ahead the tray that is "praying"

Any input would be appreciated :canabis:

damakkus

West Coast ICer
I forgot to mention my pH is kept between 5.2 and 5.8 for flowering. The strain is from the same cut as the other trays. Just doesn't make sense to me. It is like they are frozen in time.

sproutco

Veteran
I think your temps are a little cool.

Ph of around 5.2 is not really desirable. You have reduced uptake of the micronutrient molybdenum at a low ph. This can lead to reduced flowering and plant growth. Seems like plants will "pray" when lacking mo. Don't quote me on that.

An alternative to the lucas formula:

The lucas formula is super hyped on phosphorus. This can lead to micronutrient deficiencies. It also contains too much magnesium. So much a calcium or potassium deficiency could occur. Keep in mind that the plant may be experiencing deficiencies but show no visible symptoms.
pH's "Lucas Formula" values for 8ml micro, 16ml bloom
n 130
p 106
k 183
Mg 73

and GH 3 part bloom formula
GH 5grow, 10micro, 15bloom

3/4 strength 3 part bloom formula (above) 3.75 grow, 7.5 micro, 11.25 bloom

119 n
69 p
164 k
50 mg

This 3/4 strength recipe has less magnesium than lucas which is desirable. 50 ppm mg is plenty. Its also 2/3 strength phosphorus of the lucas formula. This is more than enough for flower and even fruiting of vegetables.

Last edited:
G

It is simple...you need to give them (Mg). The praying plant is praying for Mg.

I also took a line from one of the OG faq's.

"Mg can get locked-up by too much Ca, Cl or ammonium nitrogen." Also add potassium which can also lock out Mg.

Check your water source too. If it is hard water (200ppm or more from the start) you are going to have some problems with it. Add epsom salt or lime to the water or if this is the problem invest into a reverse osmosis water filter which can be purchased for around $300.

Last edited:

sproutco

Veteran
73 ppm magnesium is alot. I doubt there is a deficiency of this. Fix the ph and the temps and I bet it goes away.

Last edited:

damakkus

West Coast ICer
I kinda follow what your saying. My other plants may not be exihbiting any symptoms but have a deficiency.

I try to keep my pH at 5.6. The 5.2 came from some nutrient intake chart I saw at overgrow when it was up. My range is 5.2-5.8 you think that could be a problem too?

I will try your method on my next grow. I don't have knowledge like you in this area and will take your word for it. Do you know if I use your method will I need to start adding any additional nutrients? I have liked the Lucas formula because I dont have to buy all kinds of additional products but if your formula will grow me better bud, I am all for it. Is there a name for this formula? or just 3/4 strength?

Thanks for your help GOD BLESS

damakkus

West Coast ICer
btw my water source is reverse osmosis with deionization so I doubt it is the source. I have changed my nutes several times and the praying continues only on this one tray. All I did different was add rockwool slabs underneath the cubes. It is my first time doing so. The slabs shouldnt be an issue right?

If you guys thinh it will help I can bump my pH up a bit.

D

dre86

damakkus said:
Hey guys,

I read praying leaves means not enough light but there is 2400 watts going in there.

Any input would be appreciated :canabis:
I think it means the plant wants water but I'm not sure

sproutco

Veteran
Don't let the temp get lower than 68 f. When you raise temps, humidity goes down. I think it works like that. 60% humidity in flower is not good.

Last edited:

damakkus

West Coast ICer
They have been consuming water normally nothing unusual. It is strange, for sure it is some kind of deficiency. It is one of those strange things I dont understand. I am going to give that jensen formula a try.

Do you guys use this formula as well?

D

dre86

damakkus said:
They have been consuming water normally nothing unusual. It is strange, for sure it is some kind of deficiency. It is one of those strange things I dont understand. I am going to give that jensen formula a try.
yes, but perhaps they need another watering regim since there are rockwool slabs underneath the 4" cubes? Larger root system?? :confused:

sproutco

Veteran
Piedro had a sick plant. He put the plant on the Jensen formula (3/4 strength gh bloom). This is what happened...

Just wanted to quickly drop by to say that sproutco's receipe (end of page1) is working! Plants have recovered nicely and allmost all new growth looks absolutely healthy. I have to admit that I was more than sceptical, but you sir are a miracleworker

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Thanks sproutco, I am going to start using it on my next nute change. I got a week before I am going to flush em. I hope it will be ok smoke to get me to next batch.

Its all good. You live and learn bro

Thanks a butt ton and GOD BLESS and Merry Christmas to you all :wave:

K

kokua

sproutco said:
Piedro had a sick plant. He put the plant on the Jensen formula (3/4 strength gh bloom). This is what happened...

care to link us?

K

kokua

I'm not sure how slabs equal more mass more growth and more diet...

rw slabs can effect cec, water retention, and pH but not sure how it equals more mass, more growth and more diet...

K

kokua

I get it...are the other plants just in the 4" cubes? I assumed (thats what I get for assuming) that the other tables had another media like hydroton or similiar...if not then NYG is right on!! Good catch !

damakkus

West Coast ICer
The tray that I have that is praying went into a 2x4' tray with 3 8" slabs layed down with 4 rows of 4" cubes on top. I don't think the slabs are the problem.

I was hoping someone had seen this problem. Its something I am doing wrong.

My humidity, what range do you suggest? Day night?

Thanks fellas for your help.

damakkus

West Coast ICer
Thanks fellas, I am going to try and cut back my humidity and increase night time temps. Also, pay attenetion to my water schedule maybe a seperate timer.
I will have to do one step at a time as I would like to see what corrects the problem.

My lights are less than a foot away from the tops. I dont really think its the lights.

Thanks fellas

Latest posts

Latest posts